“Out of this world seafood, warm welcome & delightful hospitality!”

Port Charlotte Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Charlotte
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Out of this world seafood, warm welcome & delightful hospitality!”
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

We had a 2 night mid week stay and could not believe how amazing this place is. Although it was a windy rainy day when we arrived, we managed a walk on the small beach in front of the hotel before enjoying tea & tablet & a card game in front of the fire in the lounge/reception area. The view from our room was quiet simply stunning, no matter how much or little sunshine, simply stunning! Lovely modern scottish interiors, very clean throughout. Then we went for dinner....honestly we have eaten our fair share of lovely seafood especially in scotland, but the scallops & lobster were sublime, to the point we haven't stopped making comparison to this highlight ever since!! An amazing, never to be forgotten dinner, thank you! That night the hotel had a live band in the bar, who were fantastic & the bar has such a lovely homely feel to it (with all the whisky & Islay gin you could ask for!). Breakfasts were great & we can't wait to visit again very very soon!! Thank you for an unforgettable stay!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank ShunaG
allisi, Owner at Port Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. It is good to know that you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel, especially the local seafood served at dinner. As you mention the wonderful views are stunning at any time of the year and we are so luck to be able to enjoy tem all year round. We look forward to welcoming you again another day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I wish I could stay somewhere like this on every trip! My room was cozy, with a great view of the lighthouse and the sea. The hotel is right on the water, so there are no real "bad" views. The staff is the friendliest and most accommodating I've ever experienced. Graham and Fiona — the owners — even invited me for a dram on my last night there.

And the food! I bought the breakfast-and-dinner inclusive rate, and thank God for that. You would be hard-pressed to find better food in a five-star restaurant. Fresh seafood, local beef and lamb, and great desserts. You get to enjoy them in either their dining room or cozy bar, which has a great peat-fueled fireplace. As you would expect, the bar has an unrivaled selection of single malts.

I loved my time here.

Room Tip: Opt for the breakfast-and-dinner inclusive rate if you can. You won't regret it!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Branden B
allisi, Owner at Port Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you very much for your complimentary review. It is such a pleasure for all the staff to be recognised for their commitment and efforts in providing an excellent service in all aspects of our hotel. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back another day.
Isle of barra
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Immediately overwhelmed by the warmth and ambiance of the hotel, the staff were friendly and only too willing to make your stay a positive experience. We ate in the restaurant both nights and can safely say that it was outstanding. The bedroom was clean and very comfortable. The live music and wide variety of beverages available in the bar in front of a roaring log fire has ensured that we will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed December 2013
Newcastle
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Its nearly 7 years since we were last on Islay and I was interested to see if the Port Charlotte Hotel had managed to maintain its standards. I'm pleased to report that it hasn't it has actually bettered them!

The room as previously are excellent. Its an old building so the rooms aren't huge especially as each now has en-suite facilities, which they were never designed for. They are great for a few days but may get a little claustrophobic if you were staying longer.

The rest of the hotel is gorgeous. The residents lounge is large, homely but well appointed with a fantastic library to borrow from. The dining room hasn't changed except for an excellent collection of modern Scottish art. The food is sumptuous. I had black-pudding and goats cheese starter which was so good I had to have it again the next night. Celia had Chowder [wonderful she said], then I went for the venison - sensational and Celia had Scallops - always a great Islay standby. Next night I went for an Argyll steak whilst Celia had the Venison [cos I'd raved about it so much. Breakfasts were also terrific.

The staff were friendly and helpful without ever being intrusive. Celia spent several hours in the conservatory working and they kept checking whether she needed anything. Grahame, mine host, not only keeps the bar cheerful; but sings Gaelic songs in a lovely high tenor voice.

The bar is fabulous. Most hotels and almost all Scottish hotels are let down by their bar. This hotel isn't. It is just like your favourite pub, warm, dark, friendly & intimate with superb local beer [lets hear it for Finlaggan] with a superb range of malts and a roaring open fire.

How has it got better. Three things stand out.

Firstly the beer is now excellent
Secondly the bar seems to have become more lived in and homely
Thirdly they now have a regular programme of superb local traditional musicians that really bring the bar to light. Sundays and Wednesdays seem particularly good.

Oh and for those interested in the natural world I saw Otter, Common Seal and Great Northern Diver out of the restaurant window when having breakfast. Now that's what I call service!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank drcolin
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Having visited the bar a number for times while on holiday we then had the pleasure of stopping in the hotel for a night. Well where do I start? Such a warm welcome from Graham and the rest of the staff, a beautiful bar with a real roaring fire, an extensive range of whiskeys with great advice and recommendations. As for the food this is special without being pretentious, local produce, very well cooked, I would highly recommend every dish I had. We were lucky to be on the island during the Isla Sessions with local musicians and singers live in the bar, a great experience and great singing Graham. The room we stayed in was beautiful, warm and comfortable with fantastic sea view, great breakfast again with a sea view from the restaurant. Every time we visit the island we find new areas to explore we will be back again and again I am sure, thank you Port Charlotte Hotel from Rachel and Mark.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rachel H
allisi, Owner at Port Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you very much taking the time to post your complimentary review. It is good to know that all aspects of the hotel are appreciated and is a testament to the hard work and dedication shown by every member of our staff. The Islay Sessions was another roaring success this year and I do hope we can welcome you back again next year to enjoy more fabulous traditional music and discover even more of beautiful Islay.
Ormiston, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

First time to stay here but if back on Islay would stay here again. Very friendly staff, lovely food, albeit I only ate in the bar, but the braised sausages made from local beef were very tasty. Breakfast was pretty good too. The bar was very inviting with a warm open fire and good selection of malts as you would expect on Islay. My only gripe would be that as I was on business and staying in a double room with single occupancy if I wanted my wife to accompany me it would cost an extra £80 which I thought was a bit steep considering the rooms paid for. Plus the hotel would have got another meal out of it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KennybOrmiston
Thank you for your kind review, it is good to know you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again another time. For information we do not penalise single occupancy in double rooms throughout the year which is not the case in many other hotels. Should you wish to bring your wife next time we will be happy to discuss this with you.
Drumnadrochit, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

A superb place to stay on Islay.

The food has always been brilliant but when we stayed last week it was even better.

The staff are very helpful and attentive the receptionist, in particular went to a lot of trouble to arrange taxis for me when I wanted to visit a distillery on the other side of the Island.

The views from the dining room and bedrooms are brilliant.

The live music in the bar is top notch and you try the huge selection of malts whilst listening.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view, rooms 1 and 2 have good views with no stairs to climb
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KeithfromDrum
allisi, Owner at Port Charlotte Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for your generous comments which are appreciated by all the staff throughout the hotel. Our team work hard to provide the highest standards in food and service and it is very pleasing to have feedback like yours. It was a pleasure having you and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Charlotte
#4 of 13 in Bowmore
Glenegedale Guest House
Glenegedale Guest House
#1 of 1 in Glenegedale

Been to Port Charlotte Hotel? Share your experiences!