“Very good food and superb location”

and 1 more site!
Port Charlotte Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Charlotte
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had an evening meal in the bar and the food was very good.We had King Prawn Masala and the Red Thai Vegetable Curry,although more traditional offerings are also available.The hotel is in an excellent position,on the shore of Loch Indaal,and the service was efficient and friendly.Well worth a visit-not cheap but worth what you pay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Having stayed here many times over the last few years I am never disappointed. The staff are always friendly and attentive and the menu usually offers a chance to try something unusual. As some reviews state, the food is pricey but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for. I had the venison this time and it was mouthwatering, well hung, tender and extremely flavoursome. My wife had the Lamb shank which she describes as fantastic. We travelled with our nine month old daughter and everything was organised for her without even having to ask.

Room Tip: Having stayed in most of the rooms over the years, they are all very different but of similar qualit...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Captayannis
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I ate in the restaurant on our first night on Islay. The food was very good, as was the service - attentive, friendly, professional, I couldn't find any fault with it. The barman was also very friendly, but the service we received when we returned there the next night to eat in the bar let the restaurant down somewhat. I would rate the experience of eating in the bar only as a 3, whereas on its own I would have given the restaurant a 5. One of the waitresses was very grumpy, and I saw her acting very unprofessionally, refusing to serve a table when the barman asked her to. She seemed to work with very little enthusiasm and she essentially dumped the barman in it. He was very nice, but was having to do not only his own job, but some of this watresses' job too, which seemed unfair. I saw the grumpy waitress leaening on the bar when we were clearly waiting for our plates to be cleared away. Also, we had to order our own drinks from the bar, in spite of the fact that there were two waitresses on duty. I found this odd, particularly given the fact that the bar menu is not really much cheaper than the restaurant menu. The food was delicious, although I counted at least 6 bones in my seafood pie. We were also left waiting for our dessert for over 45 minutes - that's simply not on. I think that the management needs to commend the barman for a job well done, but speak to the waiting staff. They need to up their game.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Aoife74
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The hotel is charming, the rooms have great views and good beds, so why was I disappointed?. It started at check in, some staff were friendly, others every request seemed an imposition. The dining room looked very pretty but the attitude of the staff and the service was poor and in some cases rude. The meal was overprice for what was offered. One of our group was served his main course 15 mins after everyone else. Problem in the kitchen was the excuse, unexceptable for the £35 plus which was being charged. The steaks were overcooked, medium rare being served well done. Pity we had driven far as we had heard the hotel and food was great, unfortunately it was not worth the extra miles and the extra cost. Sorry

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank PamelaSwitzerland
allisi, Owner at Port Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Thank you for your review and I am sorry to hear that you felt disappointed.

We make every effort to make our guests feel welcomed and valuable no matter how many various requests they make. On arrival your group was attended to by our young trainee receptionist who may have been unfamiliar with certain procedures relating to your group requests. I understand that your requests were dealt with efficiently and there would be no intention to be rude by any member of staff. We make every effort to check with guests that they are enjoying their meal. It is extremely rare to have a complaint about our steaks and we would have been more than happy to replace them to your satisfaction had we known about it. Likewise the delay you mention was not made known to the hostess and I apologies for this.

Your review is welcomed and actioned upon and we will continue to work towards making every aspect of our guests stay a pleasant one.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

The Isle of Islay is quite remote but accessible by ferry and plane. This is a relatively remote area featuring a world class golf course, a number of first class single malt whisky distilleries, small villages, a museum and lots of walks. There are a number of top notch pubs and local restaurants. The Port Charlotte Hotel has both. Live music was featured on both Saturday and Sunday night and the pub was full of locals as well as hotel guests. The rooms are generous in size and feature up to date remodeled bathrooms. The service from the local owners and their staff was exemplary. Free wifi is provided and best reception is in the lounge.

Room Tip: The rooms over the lounge and restaurant feature a view out to the sea. The rooms over the pub are...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Our first trip to Islay and thankfully the weather could not have been better allowing my wife and I to enjoy the island at its most spectacular. In inclement weather there is plenty to keep you out of the rain. There is the Laphroig distillery, there is the Bowmore distillery, there is The Ardbeg distillery and so on. In fact very corner you turn there seems to be a distillery all with their gift shops and cafe.

The Port Charlotte Hotel is ideally placed on the main road in the town? centre and is set immediately adjacent to the beach with lovely gardens and seated areas overlooking the water. In common with all other building it is an old establishment which has been completely modernised but has still managed to retain most of its old charm.

Our room to the front was of a very good size again with a mix of period and modern decor which blended very well. The bathroom was completely modernised and of a good size. The bed was spotless and afforded my wife and I three very comfortable nights sleep.

The breakfast could not be faulted and although there was a menu the staff were happy to provide you with any request out with the listed food. We did not dine in the evening simply because we were visiting my daughter who has a home on the Island but the menu looked very appetising and any plates we saw being served were of a high standard cuisine. An extensive wine list was available.

Part of the charm of the hotel was the attached bar which was very popular with locals who were very friendly and happy to engage you in conversation. On two of the nights we stayed there seemed to be impromptu music sessions in progress adding to the atmosphere.

Finally the staff, my wife and I have been fortunate to travel widely and I can safely say the staff at the Port Charlotte Hotel rank among the best. Nothing was too much trouble more so on one of the days when my wife was unwell.

Some people may find the cost of staying at the Hotel a little prohibitive but as I always say if you receive overall value for money then you have no complaint. As far as I am concerned this is the case with the Port Charlotte.

If we can be guaranteed similar weather we will most certainly return.

Room Tip: Although there are sea front rooms building restrictions prevent owners fitting picture windows this...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Couperthwaite
Reviewed August 4, 2012

From the offset we felt that the presence of ourselves, another couple and our 3 children were not welcome. Staff were abrupt, unsmiling and unaccomodating. When we asked for the code to use the wifi we were told in no uncertain terms that it was only for the use of "guests" leaving us to only wonder what we were then if not guests about to rack up a £120 bill! When we asked for a glass of water the waitress pointed in the direction of a side board telling us to help our self to it. As soon as we had finished our meal we were told to make our way to the bar to pay despite our glasses still being quite full. As we finished off our drinks the waitress came back again giving us the impression that we should hurry up and leave, and when we did leave the dining room the waitress rushed past us in the corridor to clear up our table! (I wondered if she had an appointment she was late for given her urgency) To be fair the food was enjoyable and plentiful, however the appalling service and attitude of the staff meant we wouldn't consider a return visit! Suffice it to say we didn't leave a tip!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank jledwards
allisi, Owner at Port Charlotte Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry and disappointed that you found our service lacking in such a way. This issue has been addressed with our service staff. We are a family friendly hotel and welcome children of all ages at any time. Our customer service is of the utmost importance and we continually strive to provide a warm and courteous service to our guests at all times. Thank you for your positive feedback on our food and I do hope that you will visit us again should the opportunity arise.

We do currently have a policy of providing Internet access to hotel residents only, however, we will monitor the requirement for access to external guests and review this policy.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Charlotte
#1 of 1 in Glenegedale
Skerrols House
Skerrols House
#1 of 7 in Bridgend

Been to Port Charlotte Hotel? Share your experiences!