“Bliss”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Askaig
Kilmeny Country House
Ranked #1 of 2 Port Askaig B&B and Inns
London
“Bliss”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

The location is great, just a few miles from Port Askaig where the ferry arrived but tucked away down a long drive and so peaceful. The room (the Yellow Room) was large, with everything you could wish for and a pristine modern bathroom. If you are looking for a quiet spot with lots of treats then this is it, there is nothing to disturb you but lots to surprise you. Margaret and Blair are wonderful hosts who immediately remember your preferences and are warm, friendly and very knowledgeable about the area. Margaret cooks on Tuesdays and Thursdays and the meal we had was better than meals we have had in Michelin starred restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny19620
maggieroz, Owner at Kilmeny Country House, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you Jenny for taking the time out of your busy life to write such a super review for us.
I remember how pleased you were to tell me how much you were enjoying things at Kilmeny, it was so lovely for me to hear that. Cooking for you was a real pleasure, and thank you for your compliments.
With warm regards to you both,
Margaret

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Hamm
Reviewed June 6, 2012

and then title my review "If I could give seven stars I would."

Unfortunately my dad and I only stayed for two days, but these two days were certainly memorable, and set the mood for the rest of our journey. From the warm and heartfelt welcome (with fresh tea and wonderful little pancakes) to the lovingly and tastefully decorated rooms, this guest house is nothing short of perfect. It is the little things that make you feel appreciated and welcome as a guest, and Margaret and Blair are wonderful and attentive hosts. They make an effort to include you (even if you speak very little English, like my dad), introduce you to the other guests, and manage to create a very familiar and comfortable atmosphere for everybody.

The pastoral landscape and beautiful location only add to a wonderful experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Carsten T
Oh Carsten,
Your review is very special to me. I was so enriched by you and your Dad's visit.
Your Dad and I had a great long chats about Islay, and his fear of him not speaking good English is completely unfounded. It's good to know you had a nice time here at Kilmeny, and I want you to know that we all had great time looking after you both.
Thank you for your lovely review Carsten. I really appreciate it.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Had a thoroughly enjoyable 3 night stay at Kilmeny. Upon our arrival, we really enjoyed afternoon tea - beautiful baking and presentation - and Margaret was able to provide us with tips and guidance, where we asked and kindly booked dinner for us at one of the conveniently local eating establishments. Breakfast was excellent - a fabulous selection and delicious.
Our room (Pink Room) was luxuriously (but comfortably) appointed with a lovely modern bathroom. But for us - the best bit - 2 arm chairs in the bay window where we could drink in the view whilst taking a wee dram. Heavenly...

Room Tip: The Pink Room has French doors providing convenient access to the parking area without having to go...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy_Bob
I can still see you yet, sitting there enjoying the peace and freedom of Islay. I think the Scottish Tourist Board should have you on their advert for Scottish holidays.
I think you may know how much I enjoyed having you stay with us , and I certainly know that my other guests missed your company when you left.
We look forward to welcoming you back for another visit.
Yours aye,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This is a wonderful place to base your trip to Islay. If only all guest houses / B&Bs were like this. Great attention to detail. Very Scottish; welcoming tea and scones; fantastic breakfast.

We took one of the suites and it was as good as anywhere in the country. Even a wee dram in the room!

Margaret really went out of her way to make us at home.

Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scottrekker
What a lovely first review of the year , and I'm so grateful to you for taking the time to write about Kilmeny. It's always great to introduce my guests to Islay, the place of my heritage, and help them discover all that Islay has to offer. In your case it was my pleasure to do so, you were such appreciative guests. Thank you.
Warm regards,
Margaret.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2011

As soon as we got to the B&B we knew we were in for a lovely stay.
We travelled to Islay on the late ferry which meant we arrived at the B&B around 8:30 in the evening. Margaret was there to greet us and to show us to our suite at the back of the property. She also brought out some delicious freshly baked goodies for us as a late welcome snack.
The suite was excellent. It was nice to have a separate sitting area with a kitchenette (to make our own tea or coffee to have with the goodies on offer), or to enjoy a wee dram of whiskey (another lovely welcome gift) or some wine in the evening. The bed was very comfortable. The suite was warm and cosy and a welcome respite from the chill outside.
The bathroom was large with twin basins, heated towel rack, separate bath (lovely!) and shower (lots of hot water & great water pressure). The bathroom products (including some local Islay whiskey products) and towels were lovely.
There was a cable for internet via power which worked well and was free. The B&B also has wifi but we weren't able to connect to the wifi from our suite (probably a problem with the thick stone walls). We didn't try the internet from the common rooms.
Breakfasts were a delight. There were many options including fruits and cereals, oatcakes, toast, freshly baked goodies (including the most wonderful scones), marmalades, scottish porridge and of course the scottish fry up (your choice of egg, bacon, sausage, black pudding, mushrooms, potatoes).
Margaret and Blair are excellent hosts. They really want to ensure that their guests have a great stay so they are available to assist with planning, sightseeing, dining options, etc. Margaret was so very kind to even lend her wellingtons to allow us to reach Finlaggan Island to see the ruins (the boardwalk access was flooded).
The location of the guest house is good. Its a short 5 - 10 minutes drive from the ferry at Port Askaig and about a 10 minute drive to Bowmore. We ate in Bowmore on one evening and then at the closer Ballygrant Inn on another night (only a 2 minute drive).
We would loved to have stayed longer than 3 nights and would definitely stay here again & recommend to our friends.

Room Tip: Go for the suite to have a separate little sitting area & kitchenette.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jon Potter
maggieroz, Owner at Kilmeny Country House, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Well Jon I am speechless (which is quite something for me ! )
This is without doubt a 5 star gold review from you , and let me say how overjoyed I was to read it out to our team here at Kilmeny. I also must compliment you on your photography, I simply love the photos you took.
Thank you both for being the perfect guests, We all missed you both when you left.
Thank you Jon for being so thoughtful, and taking the time to do this for Kilmeny, I am very grateful.
Fondest regards,
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed October 18, 2011

The place even manages to make you forget about the weather. You will want to relax on a rainy day and discuss with Margaret. When the shower stops, the convenient location makes it very easy to visit the island, especially if you arrive at Port Askaig.
All in all, the most difficult moment was to leave the place!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Henry L
Oh Henry, your lovely personality comes shining through in your review of Kilmeny. Even in the rain, you saw the positive side.
Thank you for spending time in your busy life to write a review for us , it is greatly appreciated.
We all here at Kilmeny send our warm wishes to you.
Molle, Sweden
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Looking for accomodation on Islay I found a guesthouse, which The Scottish Tourist Board had found worthy of five stars! How can you believe it´s possible to find a five star guesthouse in the countryside on a remote island as Islay! How can it be true?
After having been welcomed by Margaret, after having had a delicious meal the first evening, a good night´s sleep and a full Scottish breakfast the following morning I can tell you. It can be true! If the rankings end at five stars I would suggest The Scottish Tourist Board to invent a sixth star, reserved for Kilmeny, and Kilmeny only.
I have never before seen, never before stayed at and never before heard of such a friendly place and professionally run in every single detail from the warm reception of every guest to the horn spoon for his porridge.
If you cannot stand birds, if you dislike whisky, if you hesitate before all the wilderness and beautiful sceneries of an open landscape. Then, if you will find no other reason to go to Islay, a stay at Kilmeny is reason enough, worth every penny and every effort to come!
Thank you, Margaret and Blair, hope to see you soon again!
Håkan Lind, Mölle, Sweden

Room Tip: Be happy whichever is free!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Hakan L
Hello Hakan, to say that Blair and I are thrilled with your review is an understatement.
I think the whole family enjoyed your visit as much as you did, and we hope that your whisky book is well on it's way to the publishers. It 's very important to us that our guests are comfortable , and thank you for taking the time to write to tripadvisor and telling them that you were (and all the other lovely things you said.)
It is our wish that you'll come back to our lovely island , and we will have the pleasure of yuor company again.
With grateful thanks,
#1 of 1 in Portnahaven
An Cuan
An Cuan
#11 of 13 in Bowmore

Been to Kilmeny Country House? Share your experiences!