“A very memorable and enjoyable stay!”
Review of Port Askaig Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Askaig
Port Askaig Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Port Askaig
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A very memorable and enjoyable stay!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed here for two nights at the end of September, taking advantage of the "Special Autumn Offer" and thoroughly enjoyed it! As mentioned by a previous reviewer the rate was £125 per night, but she forgot to mention that this was for D,B&B for two people - try getting that value anywhere else on Islay! Yes, there's no television in the bedrooms but, seriously, why would you want or need one there?

The same reviewer also mentioned about food being on the expensive side, but if on a DBB rate, why would they have to purchase more? I suggest that if they had "plenty of money" they would have booked something a little more commercial, but the hotel can't be blamed for their lack of funds! I couldn't even finish the enormous portions served up to me, delicious as they were and felt so guilty I had to keep apologising for not clearing my plate. Sadly (very sadly) I could not even manage a dessert on either night. Oh, but the “Special Autumn Offer” also included a complimentary bottle of House Wine with the first meal which unfortunately both I and the staff forgot about it, so perhaps worth mentioning whilst you’re there to avoid kicking yourself later!

Yes, some of the hotel is a little tired, but this is a family run business, not a multiple hotel chain with endless pots of cash to throw at the venture, plus they are trying to retain some areas in period style, but it is clean, comfortable and cosy,

However, what made this stay really memorable was the wonderful food and the incredibly friendly and helpful staff - which more than makes up for any shortcomings in the decoration! I had “venison chops” as my main meal on first night – cooked EXACTLY as requested and extremely tender meat, but so enormous I wanted to “ask a friend” to help me! Second night I chose “slow cooked lamb shank” which was falling off the bone and melting in my mouth… maybe next time I’ll go for starters OR mains then skip to desserts which is the only way I’ll manage to experience all the delights Chef has to offer.

BUT, each and every staff member I encountered was so friendly, helpful, accommodating and customer focussed that THIS was what really made the stay for me! There was “live entertainment” on the Friday night and a staff member who had already finished their shift included us in their company, introducing us to friends and making us feel part of the company… if you visit Islay and fail to see the friendliness of the Islanders, well perhaps you’re in the wrong place?

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a room overlooking the harbour - a magnificent view! Oh and if you want a televisi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rosie W
sammy253, Manager at Port Askaig Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
We loved meeting you folks and enjoyed your company on the music night. Thank you so much for your comprehensive review - Chef Yan has been informed of your appreciation of his skills and we are all really pleased that you enjoyed your break on our Special offer. We look forward to welcoming you back to Port Askaig in the future - be sure to mention you are returning guests to obtain a loyalty discount. Slainte!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Scotland
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here over 2 nights from the 28th September 2012. We were on a special deal which included bed, breakfast and evening meal.

The owner booked us in and was extremely friendly and welcoming. We had just arrived and were invited to a live music night in the Old Port Bar at the hotel. OK I was sold on this.

Firstly the room was not 5 star I agree, but it was comfortable, warm and what more do you want for a good nights sleep. Our room (Mull) was HUGE facing the harbour and over the sound to Jura. Probably the best view from any hotel I have stayed in ever.

We went down to dinner (which was a limited menu for the deal) but what a surprise. I had lovely home made mushroom soup with delicious bread to start and then the venison arrived. The size of a small country and perfectly cooked to my taste I could not finish it, and what a relief to get well cooked delicious vegetables and no frilly salad cluttering the plate. (Which I normally leave anyway). Sweet was not an option as I could not eat another thing.

Live music in the bar? We went down and were surprised to see a few people there already. Then the floodgates opened and I was left wondering where they all came from. The night was good and the locals really friendly and we felt, not strangers, but friends. Was it good? I will leave it up to you to decide but we didn't leave to go back to the room until after 1am!

Quiet and fitful nights sleep until it was time to eat again. What a breakfast. It saved money on eating at lunchtime I can tell you.

That evening we were informed the chef was not on duty but his second in command was available. I waited in anticipation as the manu had been changed and what a surprise. To start I had pate (and ate the salad!) and then I had the mixed grill of venison, chicken and duck and vegetables. Again I couldnt finish it.

Another great sleep, breakfast and checked out the following day, happy and rested (AND well fed).

Overall - yes it isn;t a 5 star hotel and yes there are things which could be improved but overall it was a friendly, comfortable hotel with really nice staff and left us with an impression much higher than we had hoped to expect. Will we return? Probably!

Room Tip: Pay a little bit extra to get a room overlooking the harbour. It is the most spectacular view and v...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Teaboyseej
sammy253, Manager at Port Askaig Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
A very late response to a generous review. Thank you for taking the time to write and for the kind comments. We are delighted to be able to recommend with confidence the food our Chef and his assistant prepare - and the night in the bar with the music - well we quite enjoy that too, as you probably guessed. We do hope that you will return and if getting in touch do not forget to mention your previous stay for a loyalty discount. Slainte!
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Starting with a positive the hotels location is idilic and at the ferry port . We stayed for couple of nights the rooms were overpriced and very basic and certainly did not expect luxury but for £125 a night you expect a little more than tired room with no television. The food we had was very good although again on the expensive side . I would not recommend staying here unless you have plenty of money

• Stayed August 2012
sammy253, Manager at Port Askaig Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
The rooms are not 5 star - we are and advertise as a 2 star hotel If you had a superior room they are all refurbished from the floor up. All standard rooms have had fresh beds, decor and carpeting in the last two seasons but we are well aware that we have more work to do on the en suites in these rooms. Our prices are reflective of the high cost of goods to the island generally but are as competetive as we can make them to survive on a 6/7 month season in a hotel with staff that stays open 365 to provide a service at this ferry port and to the surrounding community.
We are confident to promote our food , bar and warm welcome to all comers and hope that you did find something to enjoy in your stay. On a personal note - if there are things that we can do to make any guest's stay more enjoyable - we will try very hard to help - but this is impossible if instead of speaking directly with ourselves as owners or with our excellent staff, guests choose to use only this type of media to express dis satisfaction - long after their stay has ended. Slainte!
Strathcarron, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was working on Islay , and arranged accomodation here at the Port Askaig Hotel for one evening.

When my collegues on Islay asked me what hotel i was in they described it as "Faulty Towers", thats when my expectations dropped.

I arrived at the hotel and went to check in, i was met with a very pleasent member of staff who checked me in and told me i was staying over in "The apartment"... Sounded good to me..

So we crossed the road, and she showed me in... the smell of Urine and Dampness stung my nostrills as she opened the apratment door. The member of staff showed me to the room i had within the apartment, that i shared with another gentleman who was occupying the lounge area.

I went into my room and i was surprised to see not one but two TV sets... Strange!?

Problem is none of the TV sets worked!! I was starting to understand the "Faulty Towers" statements now..

The only way i got through this stay was by leaving the room, eating out and popping some sleeping pills to get through this horror show of a stay.

Never again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank nightfireuk2001

Travelers are raving about these Port Askaig hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My husband and I recently took our first trip to Islay, and the evening out at the Port Askaig Hotel was part of this visit. We received a warm welcome from Marion and the staff, and we were extremely well looked after for the duration of the evening.
The Snug Bar was pleasant for a drink before the meal, while perusing the menu. There was a good choice of local seafood and meat dishes, and it was hard to choose.
We ate in the Starboard Restaurant, where we had a window seat. The service was efficient, perhaps too efficient due to the extremely generous portions! However we managed to do the food justice, simply because it was so good.We thought the wine list offered very good value- the quality was superb. Choice of dessert is easy because the hotel does a taster plate with a selection from the menu.
Afterwards it was pleasant to finish with coffee and local whisky back in the Snug, just enjoying the friendly atmosphere and the banter.
The Hotel is in a beautiful and convenient location on Islay, which is a really scenic island destination. Although we did not stay at the Hotel during our short visit to the island, we certainly enjoyed the meal.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Northampton
Reviewed September 3, 2012

A picture postcard Hotel outside but very tired inside.. The room was dated, adequate but overpriced. The double glazing panels missing, they also seem to be economising with the light bulbs! We had dinner in the restaurant which was ok but no fresh vegetables. The waiting staff were not smartly dressed and seemed unprepared when we went for breakfast the following morning. We had to wait while a table was set and this was a bit grubby. The selection on the breakfast table was basic, only one juice available and no choice on toast. We stayed at 6 hotels on our trip and this was most definitely the worst. The hotel is convenient for the ferry but I would rather stay elsewhere and get a taxi, it would have been cheaper.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Hamilton, Scotland
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our second stay here and as good as the last time. The food was brilliant - delicious steak one night, seafood platter the next and more breakfast than you can handle. Ideal for 11 hungry cyclists. The staff were highly efficient and friendly. Ideally placed for the ferry.
OK - no TV in the bedroms, but not required for our party.

Room Tip: Most front rooms have a great view over the little harbour.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
#16 of 17 in Port Ellen
An Cuan
An Cuan
#11 of 13 in Bowmore

Been to Port Askaig Hotel? Share your experiences!