“Holy Coo an excellent lunch spot”
Review of The Holy Coo - CLOSED

The Holy Coo
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our meal of soup and homemade bread was superb in this small, intimate bistro located in Bowmore. Locals mingled with visitors to Islay to enjoy the wonderful food.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I came here with a family group because my husband had heard about the quirky surroundings. This cafe used to be a church (hence the name) but has been refitted to be a cosy cafe with a cow's head on the wall where the choir stalls must have been!

We came here on a Tuesday, which surely can't be their busiest day, but it took a long time to get the woman running the place to even acknowledge that we were there. She was clearly run ragged, trying to do everything at once, and as a result customers were ignored for longer than I would consider acceptable. I think the place is run by a mother-and-daughter team and they're the only staff.

For most of the duration of our visit, the area around the cash desk was occupied by customers waiting patiently to pay. At one point we saw a customer waiting nearly ten minutes to pay, wallet in hand, while the two people running the place were in the kitchen preparing food and washing up! It was the same story waiting for our orders to be taken, although to be fair, food did arrive pretty promptly once it was ordered.

I think part of the problem is that I just wasn't in the mood for quirky-but-slow service. We arrived after quite a tiring journey and we hadn't adjusted to the slower pace of life on Islay. I think everybody in my group just wanted to refuel with a quick lunch so we could get on with exploring our new surroundings. We might have appreciated it more after a few days of relaxing.

The food was OK for what it was although somewhat overpriced. The cakes looked divine and we were tempted, but we just couldn't face another long wait to be served.

The walls are covered in quirky signs and pictures, which makes for an interesting experience, and the decor is cute. The lady who served us was extremely friendly and bubbly too. This could be a brilliant experience if they just hired one more person to help out when they're busy. I would say do try it, but don't go if you're in a hurry. If you just want to refuel quickly, your best bet is to grab a sandwich from the Co-op round the corner and eat it on the bench outside the tourist information centre!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

The first time we tried to go to the Holy Coo it was closed. We were met with a cute little note on the door that intrigued us to come back and try again when the restaurant was open, and we were not disappointed.

The place is small, but there is lots of seating. If the weather is good you can sit on their lovely patio overlooking the Loch.

The lunch was very good. Both my husband and I had the 2 soup specials and enjoyed them completely. My husband had the bacon and tomato sandwich (his words - delicious) and I had the tuna corn sandwich and echo his words - unusual, but delicious. Even though there was a variety of homemade desserts, we finished the meal with a treacle scone with whipped cream - yum. We couldn't eat another bite.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I am a regular to the Holy Coo on my visits to Islay. Food is excellent, owner and staff are very friendly. The Holy Coo is a unique experience, well worth a visit. Anyone that have reccomended to visit have been delighted.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

My family and i recently had lunch here. The interior looked like it had been thrown together and the food was very below average. Very expensive for what it was. How can you charge £12 for scampi? Would not recomment.

1  Thank Noddyland