“Excellent food”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I were on holiday at Loch Lomond and drove here for an early dinner / late lunch. The pub dates from 1703 and has spade loads of character. The food was excellent and probably the best bar food I have had. The menu has a balance of favourites and some more exotic dishes. I chose the beef in rioja jus and it was brilliant. They had two real ales on and had tasting notes on a board but unfortunaely I was driving. Our first impressions were not great however as we were greeted by a large dog which wandered in and out the tables. However the bar was very quiet and it was ushered away and didn't reappear while we were eating. We were careful however not to set our cutlery directly on the table. This is the only reason I have for not giving it full marks. I will definitely be back and will bring family.

• Visited June 2013

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Worth the trip.”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is another place I find worth the trip out to. Regularily take family and friends. Never been dissappointed and must visit at least once every 3 months. Good atmosphere, very helpful staff and a good menu. As usual I do enjoy my puddings and they never dissappoint. Steak may seem an obvious choice but if it isnt good quality your wasting your money. The steak here is excellent and cooked to perfection.

• Visited August 2012
Brianhcrosskeys, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thanks a lot for taking the time to review us. Greatly appreciated.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overated.”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I visited The Cross Keys with my wife a few weeks ago after a friend of mine had recommended it, but sadly it disappointed us. I had the highly rated steak pie recommended by the bar maid, and the missus had the 'haddock n' chips'. My pie lacked flavour as the meat was perhaps in the microwave too long?, the pastry disappointed me too as it lacked the desired crunch. The fish looked lovely and tasted nice, but surprisingly the chips were underdone in the fryer, so were not pleasant. We didn't complain as it was reasonably busy and didn't want to cause any bother. The service was average and quite slow. The price, i felt was too much for a pub grub lunch and didn't reflect in the quality of the food. A pretty average affair, think I'll go to the pub down the road next time when visiting Kippen if we ever return.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank SmithR79
Brianhcrosskeys, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear SmithR79,

I think you mean overrated.

Regards,
The Cross Keys.
Melbourne, Australia
“Worth the trip”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Off the beaten track and something the locals would want to try and keep as a hidden jewel was shared by a good friend who lives in the village on a recent visit.
Had just arrived via Brussels and Paris but the food at Cross Keys, Kippen surpassed what had been consumed in those locations.
Soup of the day and Fish of the day sounds a little bland but was excellent - as good as you would ever hope for anywhere. Impressive.
Service was friendly as well as helpful and efficient.

• Visited May 2013
Brianhcrosskeys, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thanks Roy Palmer fro your great review. The staff and us really appreciate your kind words.

Regards

The Cross Keys
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A place to settle in!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We gave this a try with friends visiting from Australia having visited Inchmahome priory not far away. This was a wee gem. Our friends did not want to leave (nor did I, but alas I was driving) and I know this will be one of their enduring memories of Scotland. The food was great, beer and indeed cider went down a treat and the atmosphere just wrapped itself around you. This is the sort of pub Scotland needs to see more of. Charm, great service, great food. What more could you ask?

• Visited April 2013
Dear The bunnet gull,

Thank you for your positive review. We are chuffed that you managed to find us and had a great time. The staff work very hard to create the atmosphere you so appreciated. Thanks again.

Regards