“Overated.”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overated.”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I visited The Cross Keys with my wife a few weeks ago after a friend of mine had recommended it, but sadly it disappointed us. I had the highly rated steak pie recommended by the bar maid, and the missus had the 'haddock n' chips'. My pie lacked flavour as the meat was perhaps in the microwave too long?, the pastry disappointed me too as it lacked the desired crunch. The fish looked lovely and tasted nice, but surprisingly the chips were underdone in the fryer, so were not pleasant. We didn't complain as it was reasonably busy and didn't want to cause any bother. The service was average and quite slow. The price, i felt was too much for a pub grub lunch and didn't reflect in the quality of the food. A pretty average affair, think I'll go to the pub down the road next time when visiting Kippen if we ever return.

1 Thank SmithR79
Brianhcrosskeys, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear SmithR79,

I think you mean overrated.

Regards,
The Cross Keys.

Melbourne, Australia
“Worth the trip”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Off the beaten track and something the locals would want to try and keep as a hidden jewel was shared by a good friend who lives in the village on a recent visit.
Had just arrived via Brussels and Paris but the food at Cross Keys, Kippen surpassed what had been consumed in those locations.
Soup of the day and Fish of the day sounds a little bland but was excellent - as good as you would ever hope for anywhere. Impressive.
Service was friendly as well as helpful and efficient.

• Visited May 2013
Brianhcrosskeys, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thanks Roy Palmer fro your great review. The staff and us really appreciate your kind words.

Regards

The Cross Keys
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A place to settle in!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We gave this a try with friends visiting from Australia having visited Inchmahome priory not far away. This was a wee gem. Our friends did not want to leave (nor did I, but alas I was driving) and I know this will be one of their enduring memories of Scotland. The food was great, beer and indeed cider went down a treat and the atmosphere just wrapped itself around you. This is the sort of pub Scotland needs to see more of. Charm, great service, great food. What more could you ask?

• Visited April 2013
Dear The bunnet gull,

Thank you for your positive review. We are chuffed that you managed to find us and had a great time. The staff work very hard to create the atmosphere you so appreciated. Thanks again.

Regards

The Cross Keys.
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Great night out!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Excellent night out at the cross keys last Saturday with friends. The food was amazing and very well presented! I was recommend to have the steak pie which I did and it was by far the best steak pie i have had yet!! I must highlight the gravy or jus was excellent with the pie. All draught beers and local ales all went down very well with our party. Great atmosphere, food, drinks and service. Well done to the team!! Many thanks

• Visited May 2013
Brianhcrosskeys, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thanks Barry for your kind words. Great to see a local customer taking time to support his local.
“Great food... Warm friendly atmosphere and rustic surroundings... A must!!!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

I can't speak highly enough about the Cross Keys... Warm, friendly & efficient staff... Superb food, rib eye steak melts in the mouth, Moroccan lamb stew bursting with flavour & all presented beautifully... It's the second time I've visited the area for a holiday & since discovering the Cross Keys I've eaten nowhere else... Last nights meal was washed down with their own 1703 Cask Ale "beer at its hoppy best"... Can't wait to return!!!

• Visited April 2013
Thanks Pklucky43. I think we were fortunate to see you twice on your last holiday in the area and very glad your experience was a good one.