“Superb Pub Grub”

Ranked #2 of 2 Kippen B&B and Inns
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Superb Pub Grub”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Traditional individually owned pub with good mix of locals and visitors.Food is largely pub grub but good quality and freshly cooked at reasonable prices couldn't fault it.Service was efficient and friendly none of your fake friendliness that you get from chains.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grumpy1903

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Dunstable
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Having stayed at the Cross keys on numerous occasions, I have yet to be disappointed. The rooms are warm, clean and comfortable. Situated in the relaxing village of Kippen, it allows you great access to the beautiful surrounding countryside. The pub itself is warm and inviting, with an open fire and satisfying selection of wines, spirits and beers. This is complemented by the wonderful food. What a great place to end the day, only to get up the next morning and be presented with an equally wonderful breakfast. For a food lover like myself, heaven. The owners and their staff have are nothing but courteous and accommodating and I always look forward to staying at this gem.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AnthonyG440
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, tasty food, warm welcome for everyone including my dog! Rooms clean with everything you need in them, breakfast good and log fires warm and toasty. Good atmosphere in the pub too.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Log fires and a warm welcome in this traditional, unpretentious old inn with superb (mostly locally sourced) food and a fine local bitter brewed specially for the pub. The accommodation, (newly refurbished?), was attractive and spotlessly clean with a very comfortable bed though the room was not spacious enough for a wardrobe.
A cosy and comforting place to stay in a quiet village with wonderful local walks in a beautiful area near Loch Lomond/the Trossachs (not very far from the M9 motorway and Stirling). We enjoyed the winter break bargain of dinner/bed/breakfast for two at a total of £110. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

When ever I visit this area I always stay at the Cross Keys. A friendly welcome and great food are always waiting for me. The rooms are fairly basic but comfortable although it would be nice to have a wardrobe to hang my clothes rather than use the back of the door.
The bathroom has underfloor heating which is very welcome in the colder months of September to June.
I ate there twice on my most recent visit and the Cullen Skink is to die for.
I will be back before the end of the year

Room Tip: Try and get the double room if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank David G
Brianhcrosskeys, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. Glad to know that you feel comfortable enough to keep returning and enjoying The Cross Keys...look forward to seeing you again.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Our family dining experience, complete with our wee border terrier, left our tongues wagging with praise. Great hospitality, wonderful food and a warm, friendly atmosphere. Our sprightly mutt nestled obediently under the table knowing her place. As the proprietor rightly pointed out, it's a pub that takes dogs NOT dog pub. Dogs don't sup ale and busy the tills!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris H
Brianhcrosskeys, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Christ H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your positive thoughts and review. We really appreciate the support. We look forward to seeing you again if you are in the area..

Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We regularly stay at hotels and pubs throughout the UK and Europe with our two police trained German Shepherds.
During the booking process we adviced the lady on the phone that we had two well behaved German Shepherds , we were told this was no problem and we were given the choice of a larger room for us to stay in with our two dogs.
On arrival it was soon clear that the size of our dogs was a problem with the gentleman we assumed to be the owner putting us in a corner of the pub and being told they were somewhat intimidating?
As is usual where ever we go the other guests in the pub were making a fuss about them by coming over asking to stroke them and admiring them..
The food was served and was of ok quality.
On enquiring of the breakfast we were told that the staff would have to question the other guests staying if we could bring our dogs into the breakfast room ?
My wife and I have never experienced this situation/ reaction before during all of our travels.
She made the owner/manager aware of the feeling of being made unwelcome with the dogs as sitting in the pub having dinner was a problem , then breakfast was also going to be an issue , hardly the stuff of a dog friendly welcome which was implied at time of booking.
After retiring to our room early as we felt unwelcome by the owner/ manager? , we we're interrupted by a knock on the door, the owner? informed me that they had taken the cost of our food from my credit card and that they would like us to leave the hotel forthwith at 20.30 in the evening.
Moments before my wife and I were debating wether we should leave as this had turned out to be a very unwelcome place to be.
This is the way this place seems to react to constructive critism

If you don't like big dogs just tell the customer at the time of booking don't mislead them to fill a room!
Using a customers credit card to settle a bill without asking is also questionable!
Although the bar staff attending to us were very good , this cannot be said of the management.
Make up your own mind but dog owners should avoid this place , we found another hotel nearby where we had a proper welcome and stay.

• Stayed October 2012
7 Thank Abraham d
Brianhcrosskeys, Owner at The Cross Keys, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Abraham d,

There are always two sides to every story and this is ours. I was dismayed that you have chosen to be so one sided and clearly untruthful with your account of your experience here at The Cross Keys.

It was indeed me, the owner, who checked you in quite affably on Sunday evening. As you had left the dogs in your car when checking in I merely enquired as to the size and type of Dog you had and to confirm with you that of course it was o.k. to bring the dogs to the bar when you would be taking dinner. As you had two dogs I explained, and I quote " although I am sure it won't be a problem ....we do like to check with the other guest's whether they would be ok with the dogs at breakfast as this is served in a separate dining room in the morning". You clearly replied with " if it is a worry then I will just take the dogs for a walk and put them in the car in the morning ". I deduced from that either way both parties had gained a satisfactory outcome. Oh how wrong I was....

Some time later you came into the pub area with your 2 large German shepherds and were shown to a table normally for 4 people, by the fire and as you say in the corner.....as the pub is quite small almost all tables are in a corner or very close to one. You again clearly said to me " don't worry once they settle you won't even know they are here..." fine no problem thus far. I returned some 10 mins later and asked if you could settle them in the corner as they were a bit "dominating" No "intimidating" as you said in your review Again how wrong I was...

After dinner,so some time later, your wife decided to address the situation proceeded to abuse my partner Debby, in front of our staff in the lounge bar demanding that we contact the other guests re breakfast..Debby, on several occasions, said that the other guest's were out for a walk and we would speak to them on their return. You wife again abused my partner by raising her voice and pointing in her face. This is unacceptable and at this point Debby said to your wife " you are clearly unhappy here so i suggest you leave and find another place to stay...". Your wife left and we heard nothing..after approx 15 mins we decided to charge you for your dinner and drinks, waiver the room fee and go to your room to give you your receipt...Debby knocked on the door once, not several times, you answered in your pants and before we could say anything told us that you were in your bed and proceeded to slam the door in her face..I then knocked on your door and asked you to leave.

As is usual it is never the dogs that are the problem and in the 5 years we have been here we have never had any problem with the breakfast request and all the dog owners understood the reasons for our policy. You sir seemed fine, but your wife however was extremely unpleasant , did not listen and should have raised her concerns sooner rather than let it fester. A shame.

We are dog friendly, we have our own dog and even she has to consider the other guests at all times.

The Cross Keys
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kippen
Roman Camp Hotel
Doubletree by Hilton, Dunblane-Hydro
The Inn at Kippen
The Inn at Kippen
#1 of 2 in Kippen

Been to The Cross Keys? Share your experiences!