“Good Way to Access a "Castle" from Glasgow or Stirling”

Culcreuch Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Fintry
Newton, Massachusetts
“Good Way to Access a "Castle" from Glasgow or Stirling”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2010

The location is a good one if you are in Glasgow, Stirling or Edinburgh and want to get relatively quickly into complete rural countryside. That rural countryside was also the reason it turned out not to be a great choice in our itinerary as we had driven down from near Inverness after some side trips, and after a long day of traveling realized we had to do some further driving on rural roads. It is, however, pretty countryside. We stayed in a family room in the old keep (a "Courtyard room") a short walk from the main castle building (and I presume more simply decorated). Our beds (bunkbeds and a double) were comfortable, although the room was small. We had both dinner and breakfast in the Dungeon Diner, the hotel's less formal restaurant. The food was fine; don't remember anything to either complain or rave about. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We lucked out in that a Rob Roy impersonator had been hired by a group in the restaurant, and he stopped to chat with us during his breaks. There is also a nicer restaurant within the hotel which we didn't visit. The setting is lovely (they do a lot of weddings I believe) and this would be a great place to come if you wanted to so some walks on the grounds and in the countryside. There is wireless internet access for a fee.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

was at a wedding here 3 years ago, and a had a fantastic time, and loved the setting,my wife and i decided to return one day for a bar meal,so we visited today,we both odered the steak pie which was very nice,my wife ordered a side portion of onion rings, and asked for a mayonnaise dip to go with it, i could not beleive it when the bill arrived and they charged £1.00 for a tiny dish of mayonnaise,i was astounded that they had also charged me £3.15 for a pint of soda water,why do hotels like this feel the need to charge the same price for pints of alcohol as they do for soft drinks,

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank briangallagher
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

This is the one! Our small tour group spent only one night, but we all wished we could have stayed longer. Small but very nicely appointed ensuite rooms, GREAT staff - they couldn't do enough for us. I can't wait to go back to spend more time. Hopefully, I'll experience the ghost next time! Beautiful grounds, lovely restored castle - what more could anyone want?

• Stayed June 2010
Roving reporter
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2010

We had a very poor meal in the bar. We had steak pie and couldn't chew or cut the meat. The manageress argued with us that she had tasted the meat and it melted in her mouth, effectively telling us we were lying! The service on the other hand was very good - the two young girls were very helpful and friendly. Pity we couldn't say the same for the manageress.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
lairdielardie, General Manager at Culcreuch Castle Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2010
I am a great believer in guest feedback and we always listen to our customers comments good and bad. If we are in the wrong I will be the first to admit it and personally apologise to the customer. Of all the reviews about Culcreuch good and bad this is the first time I have responded to any!
On this occassion I feel the criticism of our food and my Manager is quite unjustified. The reviewer and guests ate all bar a couple of bits of the steak pie before complaining and at least two other guests were eating the staek pie at the same time.. My manager very quietly and discreetly went to them to ask if their meals were Ok. "One of the best steak pies I have ever had" was the reply! As is policy she then went to the Head Chef and they both tasted the meat and found it to be tender and succulent as one would expect from Aberdeen Angus(the only beef we use at the Castle sourced and bought from our local farm).
My manager quietly and politely informed the customer that we could not find nothing wrong with the meat. However she did offer a discount, but was told in no uncertain terms what to do with the offer!
As I have already stated that if we are in the wrong we will admit it and put things right, but on the other hand one has to defend one's staff when I feel they have been unfairly criticised.
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

After Christmas (2008) my husband & I needed a well earned rest to recharge the old batteries, Culcreuch Castle was the perfect get away, it had everything you'd expect from a castle and more, we stayed in the romantic Barron suite with the large four poster bed, it was just like a honeymoon again, we enjoyed the atmosphere, the family friendly staff went out their way to make us feel welcome, the Dungeon and Dining room were so authentic and you really felt you had went back in time, the food was excellent especially the candle light meal in the dining room with soft music where you felt special & enjoyed your meal in peace, everything was great & I've already recomended the Castle to my friends & family. Thankyou to all the hard working staff, look forward to staying again X

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

Just back from a 2 week vacation (holiday) in Scotland during which we had the opportunity to stay at Culcreuch for 2 nights. We splurged on the honeymoon suite and it was one of the better rooms we stayed in during the trip. the location was quaint and we could not have been more comfortable (even with the talk of ghosts in the hotel) during our stay. Of most value to us however was the friendly, attentive service during our entire stay. The staff was thoughtful, engaging and very accommodating. As is always the case when you make a 700 year old castle into a hotel, your expectations should not be set on a spaciousness. If this is your preference find a chain hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

My husband and I spent two glorious days at Culcreuch to celebrate our 10th anniversary vow renewal. We stayed in the castle with an intimate group of family and friends, had a beautiful ceremony in Galbraith Hall, and took full advantage of the bar and kitchen. Every single detail was perfect, and truly exceeded our expectations. The castle is gorgeous - I believe they've recently remodeled, and the results are warm and immaculate. After we closed down the bar one night we took over the Drawing Room, which may be my favorite room in any building, ever. We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite, which is fit for a princess, and the other rooms our group used (The Keep, Menzies and Battlements) were equally adorable. The service is incredible - every last person we dealt with was genuinely kind and friendly, and endlessly helpful. Since we had a small party, the kitchen even personalized a menu for our dinner, when we had been planning to just walk in and order from the usual fare. That dinner, as well as the meals we took in the Dungeon Bar, were lovely. And speaking of the Dungeon Bar, we were impressed that where it could have been a victim of kitsch, it was instead nicely understated and fun. I have nothing but praise for Culcreuch Castle, and cannot recommend it highly enough. In my opinion, a stay here is worth far more than what they're charging, and we will absolutely be back every time we visit Scotland from now on.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fintry
South Side
Sherbrooke Castle Hotel
Sherbrooke Castle Hotel
#5 of 96 in Glasgow
Kincaid House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milton of Campsie

Been to Culcreuch Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!