“Authentic and truly quintessential....”
Review of Dundarroch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fintry
Dundarroch
Ranked #3 of 4 Fintry B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Authentic and truly quintessential....”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I never write reviews but having experienced a stay at Dundarroch county house I felt obliged to share my experience. Immediately impressed by the long winding driveway up to the house, flanked one side by a paddock housing the family Shetland Pony I later found out to be called Duckets. The other side is flanked by the long sprawling freshly cut lawns which house a croquet lawn, pond, brook and forest further a field. The house is amazing sporting a true country side theme with authentic period features and decor. The house sits in about 50 acres of land and forests which I highly recommend exploring. The breakfast spread is truly first class offering a large selection of cereals, fruits, followed by a very well cooked Scottish breakfast. The dining room itself adorned with table silver is classy in a true majestic fashion making you feel as though you are dining with royalty. The hosts John and Meg are most welcoming. They have the perfect balance between accommodating your needs whilst offering you the space you need to relax and enjoy your stay. The main reception room sports an open log fire with large sofas to relax. The center piece of the room has a good selection of books for local and regional information which is consistent with the never ending classy feel of the house. Further a field the Fintry Inn serves good quality meals and ale. I have stayed here twice now and I can't recommend this pace enough. A true hidden gem...

Room Tip: The flat has a four poster bed I believe....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank David M

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband, my father and myself stayed for one night in Dundarroch on 23 March 2013 as we were attending a wedding in the area. On our arrival Meg made us a pot of tea which we had in a comforting and welcoming lounge.The food and decor was first class and will be a real treat for anyone who wants to experience Scottish hospitality. The rooms were tastefully decorated and the surrounding scenery will be very picturesque in the summer. We stayed during the heavy snow and John and Meg even transported us to our wedding venue and picked us up late at night to save us waiting for a taxi. .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dunbar, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband, two young children and I, have just returned after a 2 night stay in Dundarroch as we were attending a wedding in a nearby hotel. I never tend to write reviews, however, the hosts in this house made such an effort I felt compelled to do so. On arrival, we were very impressed with the warm welcome and the children were particularly delighted with their bedroom. Their room was filled with books and teddies and felt like a lot of thought had been put into it. The next morning Meg made a lovely breakfast. Again, she made an extra effort with the children by giving them "angry bird" plates and cups and cooked them special mini sausages. After this, John kindly took the children out to feed their shetland pony which they loved. In many other guesthouses you feel very restricted to your room however that was certainly not the case here as we were told we could use the lounge whenever we liked as well as make use of their lovely grounds. Thanks again for such fantastic hospitality and welcoming us in to yor beautiful home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Elkhart, Indiana
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed at Dundarroch one evening on our driving tour of Scotland. What a delightful surprise! Not exactly on the beaten path and quite tucked away in the Highlands. Beautiful home decorated with centuries old family heirlooms just made the visit more special.. We had an amazing breakfast of fresh caught trout from the local stream. Warm, hospital owners provided a great evening, night in the Highlands and tasty breakfast! This is worth the drive up into the Highlands to experience this special place. This was definitely a highlight of our visit to Scotland.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CLFoutz
Westville, Canada
Reviewed October 3, 2012

A friend stayed cheer for just one nit but would have gladly have spent all our holidays here. Our hosts were gracious and made. Every effort to make our stay comfortable. The room was warm and inviting, although the ensuite was rather small. The complimentary sherry was a wonderful touch after a cool, damp , evening return walk from the local pub. Breakfast was a feast. It was, by far, the most healthy one we encountered on our two week stay in Scotland. The extra touches at the table made you feel that you were , indeed, " to the manor born." I would highly recommend this B & B to newly weds, couples and singles . Those with mobility issues would have difficulty accessing the rooms.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Heather1918
coolidge
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Since this was to be our 'trip of a lifetime', we wanted to find a place that would act as a hub for our travels all over Scotland during the 16 days we were going to be there. My wife spent many, many days selecting and eliminating various places that were available until she finally settled on East Wing Dundarroch, Fintry, Scotland. Since it was technically considered off-season, the rates were right in line with our budget - not a castle, but not the slums either.
How easy or difficult locatiing the property and subsequent picking up the keys and unloading and unpacking into the apartment could very well set the mood and tone for the rest of the entire vacation it was with no smalll amount of trepidation on my part that we set out for Fintry from the hotel in Glasgow where we'd spent the previous night. The directions that had been emailed to us before we left home were a bit intimidating: exit M80 and take the 2nd exit at your first roundabout, go through 2 roundabouts and take the 3rd exit....well, you get the picture, we came from the States and roundabouts, steering wheel on the other side of the car and left side of the road driving were all quite foreign concepts. I shouldn't have worried.
With only a few screams of terror and calls to slow down, to stop for pictures or to get onto the left side of the road - some by my wife - we arrived in Fintry about 30 minutes before check in. So we went back into the center of town where we had seen a sign for the Fintry Inn (more about this place in a coming review) and stopped in for a quick pint and waited until a few minutes past check in to head back to Dundarroch.
Apparently my wife's first knock wasn't immediately audible to the ones inside and so she went one way around the mansion and I went the other. When I finally made it around to where we had parted (I walk with a cane that wasn't built for speed, and also i had to stop every few feet to admire the absolute beauty of the grounds) and I heard my wife calling me from somewhere above me. I navigated my way up the stairs in that directions and met her and the male half of the couple that own the place, Mr. John Duckworth.
Mr. Duckworth had gotten a fire going while they were waiting for me and also helped my wife bring up the suitcases, poor man probably regretted volunteering to help though my wife had packed light and we only had 4 large bags, 2 carry ons and 2 personal bags. (You can see them all on the airport cart in Glasgow she's pushing in one of the pics i have posted on my facebook page.) Anyway, Mr. Duckworth - John, spent the next hour or so telling us all about the area, places to eat and places to see, and even a couple places to do neither. He explained why the nearest grocery was over 5 miles down the road one way, and the nearest petrol station was some 5 miles away in another direction. We were also given an in-depth tour of the apartment, showing us how this and that worked, how to build a coal fire and other various tidbbits.
About an hour later we had unpacked completely and decided to head back down to the Inn for dinner. Just as we got downstairs John was getting ready to come back up to the apartment. I had mentioned that typically in the evenings we liked to watch a movie before heading to bed. They supplied a dvd player in the apartment but due to standards being different between the UK and US I hadn't brought any dvds and there wasn't a rental place anywhere nearby so John had went through their personal collection of dvds and was in the process of bringing them up to us so that we might be able to continue with our tradition - how very thoughtful. He also took the time to explain the various firewood piles, where to get kindling and the very dry wood and alo, because of the immense grounds, that they had a riding lawn mower behind one of the garage doors and we could park anywhere we wished, just give him room to be able to get the mower out.
If you are reading this John, I'm embarrassed to say that we didn't get to even begin watching a single one of the dvds you brought up for us - but we really so appreciate that you took the time to find and bring them to us.
For the rest of the two weeks both John and his wife were much like the perfect butler you see on tv - close enough that they were immediately available should you need anything, but far enough away that you never actually saw them and would barely even know they were there. In fact, pretty much the only time Mrs Duckworth made contact with us was to let us know that they had done an override on the heating system since they knew we were from Phoenix AZ and the standard temperature the apartment was left at might be a bit on the popsicle side for us. It was much appreciated as the first night i was so cold that I made anotherr fire and slept on sofa cushions directly in front of the fire.
The grounds of Dundarroch were absolutely stunning, extremely well kept even though there were only the two of them to do all of the work both inside and out. So many birds in the morning, rabbits running around in the early morning...
Since we stayed in the apartment I can't speak to any part of the breakfast side, but the bed and the rest of the apartment were far more than adequate for our needs and gave us a place to rest and stretch out after long days of driving and touring all over the country.
I highly recommend Dundarroch for anyone wishing to stay in Scotland and get a bit closer to the locals than a 5 star hotel / resort but not as immersed as a youth hostel.  If we are able to come back to Scotland and can't use our new RCI connections, you can bet that we'll be renting from the Duckworths again - if they'll have us.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Having driven up to this beautiful Georgian country old house surrounded by an equally wonderful garden we received a very warm welcome. We were shown to our room and given some time to settle in before we were invited to a cup of tea in a nicely furnished sitting room with a good view of the garden, where the host later joined us.
We received good tips where to go for supper, either the Fintry Inn or the dungeons of a hotel. We decided for the latter and it proved to be a good choice.

When we came back, we had as a nightcap a glass of Sherry, which was provided in the room. And in the morning we were served a delicious cooked Scottish breakfast.

We had a twin room with a small en-suite bathroom – not exactly spacious but big enough for its purpose. The beds were very comfortable. As the house is a bit off the road it is very quiet – except for an owl at night.

If we ever stay in this part of Scotland again, we will definitely stay here. Our hosts were very welcoming, nice and attentive. The room was nicely furnished and very comfy.

Our only regret is that we only stayed for one night.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fintry
The Inn at Kippen
The Inn at Kippen
#1 of 2 in Kippen
Rockfoot Bed and Breakfast
Campsie Glen Holiday Park
Culcreuch Castle Hotel

Been to Dundarroch? Share your experiences!