“Christening party”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bridge of Allan
Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Christening party”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had our son's christening party here yesterday (3rd Feb 2013) and this is a review of the function suite and service only, none of our party stayed at the hotel.

The service we received from the Royal Hotel has been second to none, from start to finish. I popped into the hotel on 30th December 2012 on the off-chance that one of the events team would be able to discuss whether they had availability to host our party. I was shown into a beautiful cosy lounge with a roaring fire, and in less than 5 minutes, Thomas Anderson, the general manager, came to discuss our requirements. I was impressed at how quickly someone was available to speak to me.
Once we had decided on the Royal Hotel for the party, either Thomas or Fiona Stark from the events team was available to help - I sent various emails to them and they always replied promptly, answering whatever query we had.

On the day itself, the function suite (The Lorien Suite) looked absolutely stunning.........staff were on hand to serve welcome drinks to our guests and were available to take coats, help people to their table etc. Our guests included a number of children and the staff were lovely to the kids too.

We had decided on a three course meal (2 courses for the kids) and the staff waited an appropriate amount of time to let us all chat and mingle, before coming to take our orders. All the food was cooked to order and was served with hardly any time to wait. The food was of the highest quality, and ALL of our guests commented on how tasty the food was. Again, the staff were helpful but unobtrusive, and one member of staff even hurried to the kitchen to get some strawberry sauce for one of the children's ice-creams.............we were very impressed (as was the child in question!!).

All in all, we couldn't have chosen a better place to hold our special celebration - our family and friends were looked after, and we as a family were made to feel very special.........I would highly recommend the Royal Hotel for a function, or for a special meal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
anderson_thomas, General Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about your son's christening last weekend. It was a super event with a lovely atmosphere throughout. You and your family were a pleasure to look after from start to finish.

We pride ourselves on being an excellent social venue, ideally suited for the likes of; Weddings, Christenings, Birthdays, Dinner Dances....the list goes on!

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Royal in the not too distant future.

Thomas Anderson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was the second time my husband and I had stayed at the Royal Hotel. Neither visit has been a good experience and we will not be returning.
Three problems marked both stays: noise, cleaniness and plumbing shortcomings.
During the first visit (which was in November 2011) refurbishment work was going on, so we accepted that there would be some inconvenience and I don't want to dwell here on that past visit except to say that because refurbishment work had been going on then, we didn't expect to find the hotel in such a shabby state as we did on our recent visit.
I mentioned above three particular problems so I'll write about each as they cropped up on our recent stay.
On each of the 3 nights we stayed, we were woken up by the sound of fellow guests running about in the corridor outside our room, knocking on doors and calling out to each other.
Although we knew which of our fellow guests were responsible for the disturbance, we did not feel we could complain about them to hotel staff because of the way we saw the staff interacting with them. They were on very friendly terms and after being woken the first time we thought it wouldn't happen again and then when it did we thought it hardly worth complaining as we were staying only one more night and the noisy guests seemed to be more long term. All in all, it felt like a situation that we didn't want to risk making worse by complaining.
The second problem was cleanliness. In particular the bathroom was moldy with stained tiles, flooring and shower curtain, even the curtains at the window were spotted with mold! There was dust on the toilet pipes and to make things worse housekeeping left clean towels actually ON THE TOILET! There was a radiator and a hook on the door but the clean towels were instead left on the toilet, which I have never seen done before anywhere else.
The bathroom in fact seemed generally poorly designed with the toilet roll holders awkwardly located and the shelf one might usually expect to find above the sink placed above the toilet, meaning there was nowhere convenient to put toothbrushes.
Plumbing was the third problem I mentioned above, and we found that water drained so slowly from the bath that showering meant standing in a chilly puddle because the hot water took so long to heat up that by the time one could stand under it, the bath was half full. Prolonged and loud glugging noises followed the draining.
I'll add only one more thing here and then I'll finish up this review and hopefully never think about the Royal Hotel again in my life:
the hairdryer was SCREWED INTO the desk drawer and had a flex so short that one had to be seated at the desk in order to use it. The nearest mirror was across the room. This arrangement, along with the design in the bathroom makes me wonder if any of the staff have actually tried using the facilities they offer, or if they've looked at the dirt and the dust? Offering a hairdryer as a facility is a good thing, but having to man-handle a full length mirror across the room and lean it against the desk drawer where the dryer is screwed in is not the greatest experience.
So, not a place we'll ever return to and definitely not a place we'd recommend.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
1 Thank HJS15
anderson_thomas, General Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that there have been issues with your stay at The Royal.

Unfortunately, unless informed, we are not able to monitor how every guest in the hotel behaves on a daily basis. However, if you had spoken with the manager on duty or indeed the night manager, I am sure we could have resolved the situation by reducing the level of noise coming from certain guests and therefore improving your overall enjoyment of your stay.

From our records, it has shown that the room you had occupied was due for it's regular deep clean the day after your departure. I have raised the points you have mentionned with the housekeeping manager, who noted that it was a younger member of staff on work experience within the hotel who had folded and placed the towels that day. I have passed your comments on to our maintenance manager with regards to the plumbing for your room for further investigation.

Being a Victorian Hotel, every room is designed differently. The new hairdryer fittings are indeed screwed into the drawer with an extra long flexi cord for ease of use.

I am sorry to hear that you wish not to return to the hotel in the future and thank you again for your comments. It is by listening and acting on these comments that we can continue to grow and improve as both a hotel and business.

Travelers are raving about these Bridge of Allan hotels

aberdeenshire
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed their for a night this week on business very comfortable large room and bathroom food ok but nothing outstanding resonably priced. Staff were friendly only critt was to hot in room. Some of the other recent reviews must have been unlucky

Room Tip: ask for room away from the front and trafic noise its a buisy road
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of The Royal Hotel. We pride ourselves on being a comfortable stopover venue for customers on business within the local area. Being a Victorian Hotel, we have superb large bedrooms, some with double bay windows and leather sofas, which make the rooms comfortable for corporate and family guests alike.

We hope to welcome you back to The Royal in the near future.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2013

There is a choice of two courses or three at very reasonable price.

The menu is very extensive and you are spoilt for choice.

You can sit at a circular table at the window and watch the world go buy.

The Service is excellent and not rushed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on our fabulous Winter Wamer Menu. 2 courses for only £6.95 is fantastic value especially as you say with the choice that we offer. The Restaurant has a lovely relaxed atmosphere, which makes it the ideal venue for a light lunch or romantic dinner.

We hope to see you back at The Royal in the near future.

Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Callander Young Farmer's Club have been using the Royal Hotel as a venue for our annual dinner dance for the past couple of years now and it's great! The manager and all the staff are extremely helpful and attentive giving the committee a chance to relax and enjoy the evening. The meal was lovely and very quick at being brought out, we opted for a set menu of 4 courses - scotch broth, beef, profiteroles and cheese board followed by tea/coffee. The price agreed/drink prices were very reasonable and on par with most other places we looked at but we knew what we were getting with the Royal so decision was easy. The bar was well stocked and there was enough staff on the bar to keep everyone topped up with drinks once the ceilidh started. Thomas (Manager) was always available if we had any questions leading up to the event and on the night. Would just like to say thank you to the Royal Hotel for all their help with yet another successful Callander dinner dance!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
To The Callander Young Farmers,

Thank you for taking time to write a review regarding your annual dinner dances held in The Royal. It is our pleasure to look after you every year and the staff are already looking forward to this years event.

Kind regards and speak soon,

Thomas
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am a returning customer and was disappointed in the hotel from my last stay, it had apparently been refurbished but I fail to see any improvements. Upon arrival we asked if we could check in 12:30 which is 1 1/2 hours early and that was fine. We were asked to pay for the room up front but was charged twice and had to wait around for them to refund one of the charges. We were given a room that had not been occupied the previous night so would be ready for us however when we entered the room it had not been cleaned from the previous occupants so were given another room which was ready. The cleanliness of the room was well below standard, the toilet was filthy, the shower curtain was stained and needed replacing and the tiles around the bath were very badly stained. I was looking forward to a bath as I have only a shower room at home and when I ran the hot water it came out brown and had to be run for a considerable time to clear. One of the windows did not close and was letting in very cold air (was -2 during night) One of the worst hotels I've stayed in, in fact the worst. On a positive note the food was very good and reasonably priced as was the wine, the breakfast again was very good with breads, meats cheeses, juice and fresh cooked hot beakfast and the waitresses very helpful and polite. It goes without saying that I will not be returning to the Royal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
anderson_thomas, General Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay at the hotel. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our food, wine, breakfast and staff service. I will be sure to pass on these kind and positive comments to all those invloved.

I am sorry to hear that their have been aspects of your stay which have detracted from your overall enjoyment of your stay. I am glad that we were able to accomodate your request for an earlier check in upon arrival as we usually charge £10 for such a privilege. My apologies for the mix up in room payment, however I am glad to hear that the staff were able to resolve this issue whilst you were still within the hotel.

I have passed on your concerns regarding the bedrooms to our Housekeeping Team for further investigation. With the older nature of the building and the fact that we lay so close to the Ochil Hills, our water supply can sometimes become discoloured. However as you have written, this will usually run clear after a few minutes.

I note that you are a returning customer, but were disappointed in the hotel this time around. From speaking with guests directly at the front desk, we have received nothing but positive comments regarding the hotel refurbishment which is still currently ongoing.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope that you will reconsider returning to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Regards,

Bentley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel looks lovely from outside, The interior is far from it. Its shabby, run down and dirty. The room had electrical wires hanging from the ceiling, everything was threadbare, The "double" bed, was two single of different heights pushed together, The bathroom was also dirty and freezing cold.It had no working lights when we arrived,it took the 2 hours to sort them, The pictures on the website are very misleading, I cant comment on the food as we were afraid to eat breakfast due to the filth everywhere else, There were never any staff around either. I cant think of a worse play to stay and would advise anyone thinking of booking it to reconsider, I have never written a review befoe, but feel this place inst fit for human habitation .

Room Tip: there aren't any, the whole place needs to be condemned
2 Thank Maria T
Dear Guest,

We have received many postive reviews relating to our bedrooms, their cleanliness and the general warm feeling exuding from the hotel in general. I find your comments quite surprising to say the least, however upon further investigation, I have a suitable response.

You had checked into one of our smaller double bedded rooms towards the back of the hotel with an internal facing window. The room in questions has since been decommisionned for the required work to take place on the electircal wiring within the room. The heated towel rail in the bathroom has now had a new thermostat fitted also. The two "single beds," pushed together, were actually zip and link beds which all larger hotels use, however one of the bases was missing a wheel making the two surfaces uneven. It is unfortunate that you did not decide to join us for breakfast that morning, as you can see from previous reviews, the breakfast itself receives an excellent write up.

Regards,

Holiday Inn Express Stirling
Golden Lion Hotel
Golden Lion Hotel
#10 of 20 in Stirling

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!