“Great Value”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bridge of Allan
Perth, United Kingdom
“Great Value”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

There is a choice of two courses or three at very reasonable price.

The menu is very extensive and you are spoilt for choice.

You can sit at a circular table at the window and watch the world go buy.

The Service is excellent and not rushed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
anderson_thomas, General Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on our fabulous Winter Wamer Menu. 2 courses for only £6.95 is fantastic value especially as you say with the choice that we offer. The Restaurant has a lovely relaxed atmosphere, which makes it the ideal venue for a light lunch or romantic dinner.

We hope to see you back at The Royal in the near future.

Thomas Anderson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Stirling, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Callander Young Farmer's Club have been using the Royal Hotel as a venue for our annual dinner dance for the past couple of years now and it's great! The manager and all the staff are extremely helpful and attentive giving the committee a chance to relax and enjoy the evening. The meal was lovely and very quick at being brought out, we opted for a set menu of 4 courses - scotch broth, beef, profiteroles and cheese board followed by tea/coffee. The price agreed/drink prices were very reasonable and on par with most other places we looked at but we knew what we were getting with the Royal so decision was easy. The bar was well stocked and there was enough staff on the bar to keep everyone topped up with drinks once the ceilidh started. Thomas (Manager) was always available if we had any questions leading up to the event and on the night. Would just like to say thank you to the Royal Hotel for all their help with yet another successful Callander dinner dance!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
To The Callander Young Farmers,

Thank you for taking time to write a review regarding your annual dinner dances held in The Royal. It is our pleasure to look after you every year and the staff are already looking forward to this years event.

Kind regards and speak soon,

Thomas
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am a returning customer and was disappointed in the hotel from my last stay, it had apparently been refurbished but I fail to see any improvements. Upon arrival we asked if we could check in 12:30 which is 1 1/2 hours early and that was fine. We were asked to pay for the room up front but was charged twice and had to wait around for them to refund one of the charges. We were given a room that had not been occupied the previous night so would be ready for us however when we entered the room it had not been cleaned from the previous occupants so were given another room which was ready. The cleanliness of the room was well below standard, the toilet was filthy, the shower curtain was stained and needed replacing and the tiles around the bath were very badly stained. I was looking forward to a bath as I have only a shower room at home and when I ran the hot water it came out brown and had to be run for a considerable time to clear. One of the windows did not close and was letting in very cold air (was -2 during night) One of the worst hotels I've stayed in, in fact the worst. On a positive note the food was very good and reasonably priced as was the wine, the breakfast again was very good with breads, meats cheeses, juice and fresh cooked hot beakfast and the waitresses very helpful and polite. It goes without saying that I will not be returning to the Royal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
anderson_thomas, General Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay at the hotel. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our food, wine, breakfast and staff service. I will be sure to pass on these kind and positive comments to all those invloved.

I am sorry to hear that their have been aspects of your stay which have detracted from your overall enjoyment of your stay. I am glad that we were able to accomodate your request for an earlier check in upon arrival as we usually charge £10 for such a privilege. My apologies for the mix up in room payment, however I am glad to hear that the staff were able to resolve this issue whilst you were still within the hotel.

I have passed on your concerns regarding the bedrooms to our Housekeeping Team for further investigation. With the older nature of the building and the fact that we lay so close to the Ochil Hills, our water supply can sometimes become discoloured. However as you have written, this will usually run clear after a few minutes.

I note that you are a returning customer, but were disappointed in the hotel this time around. From speaking with guests directly at the front desk, we have received nothing but positive comments regarding the hotel refurbishment which is still currently ongoing.

Thank you again for your comments and I do hope that you will reconsider returning to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Regards,

Travelers are raving about these Bridge of Allan hotels

Bentley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This hotel looks lovely from outside, The interior is far from it. Its shabby, run down and dirty. The room had electrical wires hanging from the ceiling, everything was threadbare, The "double" bed, was two single of different heights pushed together, The bathroom was also dirty and freezing cold.It had no working lights when we arrived,it took the 2 hours to sort them, The pictures on the website are very misleading, I cant comment on the food as we were afraid to eat breakfast due to the filth everywhere else, There were never any staff around either. I cant think of a worse play to stay and would advise anyone thinking of booking it to reconsider, I have never written a review befoe, but feel this place inst fit for human habitation .

Room Tip: there aren't any, the whole place needs to be condemned
2 Thank Maria T
Dear Guest,

We have received many postive reviews relating to our bedrooms, their cleanliness and the general warm feeling exuding from the hotel in general. I find your comments quite surprising to say the least, however upon further investigation, I have a suitable response.

You had checked into one of our smaller double bedded rooms towards the back of the hotel with an internal facing window. The room in questions has since been decommisionned for the required work to take place on the electircal wiring within the room. The heated towel rail in the bathroom has now had a new thermostat fitted also. The two "single beds," pushed together, were actually zip and link beds which all larger hotels use, however one of the bases was missing a wheel making the two surfaces uneven. It is unfortunate that you did not decide to join us for breakfast that morning, as you can see from previous reviews, the breakfast itself receives an excellent write up.

Regards,

United Kingdom
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Had a lovely overnight stay here after dropping son off at Stirling Railway Station. We knew Bridge of Allan as our oldest son went to University here but it was the first time we had stayed in this lovely little village. Buses seem to leave from just outside the hotel which would be handy for peole not wanting to drive. Stirling is just a short drive away.
The Royal Hotel looks very nice and welcoming and that is what it is. We were staying as a couple and booked a late deal which we were pleased with. We found all the staff to be very pleasant and efficient. Our room was an enormous corner room (6) with one window overlooking the main street and the other overlooking the car park. There was a small table and a settee for seating which was nice. I expect this room is often used for families. There was a large modern TV but we couldn't seem to get BBC channels for some reason The lighting was not really bright enough though as there was no main light.. It is not double glazed but the room was really warm, infact a bit too warm and there were no controls to turn the heating down. The bathroom radiator wasn't working though, although it did have a control. I'm afraid I forgot to report it but it does look like Thomas reads all the reviews so will hopefully see it now!
We ate dinner in the restaurant and ate from their "Winter Warmer" menu which was good value. Breakfast was a lovely surprise with lots and lots of different fruits, cereals, yoghurts, cheese,cold meat, pastries and muffins. The cooked breakfast was very nice too with all the usual ingredients. You could also have omlettes, scrambled eggs etc.
We enjoyed our stay and hope to visit again.

1 Thank sheils6
anderson_thomas, General Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Bridge of Allan is certainly an excellent location for visiting Stirling and the central belt. Room 6 is a lovely large double room with the two bay windows. Updating our radiator and towel thermostats is on the list of current maintenance projects. 2 courses for only £6.95 per person is terrific value and we do pride ourselves on offering an excellent variety for our breakfast selection.

I hope to welcome you back to The Royal in the near future.

Stirling, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were going to this hotel for our xmas night out...Abba tribute... on arrival at the hotel we waited for about 15mins to check in as girl on desk was on the phone. Once in the rooms, my friend had room next door, mine was single bed, she got a double bed, was jealous until i saw her room. She had a large damp mark on the wall to side of her bed; the lamp shade was lying on its side, My room was basic bathroom ok, good sized tv, though took while to find how it worked. Tribute/xmas time... we were crammed in at the tables, food was reasonable, went to bar for drinks (first round of 14 drinks) and we were overcharged by £21. tribute band...2 girls..would have been better to let DJ play records (think thats what he was doing anyway) would have been less disappointing. Partys are only what you make them, and we still had a ball.
Breakfast next morning was good, although my friend asked for porridge followed by cooked breakfast, both were brought out to her at same time. On complaing about her room, she was firstly told that was last room; then the manager said that no way could a room be like that until he went up and looked himself, but still nothing done and no monies back..
it definetly will be last time we will attend anything here.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else x
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank laursma
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear that there were aspects of your visit to The Royal that did not meet your expectations. I have spoken to all Reception Staff regarding the answering of calls and the prioritising of guests at the desk to ensure this does not happen again. We have received many positive comments relating to our party nights from last year, however we are considering whether to change to a different entertainment company. It was myself that did go and look at the room in question. I have since had a debrief with the housekeeping department on ensuring that any maintenance issues within the rooms are brought to the attention of the management team as soon as possible. Thank you again for your comments.

Belfast
Reviewed January 6, 2013

After a fantastic experience last year, we, as a party of ten returned to The Royal Hotel on Christmas Day, to a very different experience. In this current economic climate I understand that margins must be really tight but when you are paying £55 per head the basics have to be right at the very least.
Our first disappointment came on arrival when despite requesting a table in the main restaurant, we were shown to the function room. A small detail but little did we know it was the first of many disappointments during our lunch. The children's menu last year was fantastic. Tomato soup and chicken goujons made with strips of chicken breast. This year, the children did not like the vegetable soup on offer and the chicken strips were cheap and overcooked.
My husband assures me that the beef he ordered for the main course was good but the same can not be said of the turkey, which was dry, fatty and unappetizing. The worst offence was the roast potatoes which were cheap and nasty. Surely some freshly cooked, home roasted potatoes aren't too much to expect?
The plum pudding was clearly not home cooked and the minute amount of sauce accompanying the dessert was really sweet.
The staff were the saving grace of the day. They were friendly and polite and were really good with the children. We will really have to think long and hard as to whether we will risk Christmas lunch at the Royal Hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest.

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am disappointed to read that there were aspects of your Christmas Day Lunch that you did not enjoy. Thank you for your kind comments relating to the staff however. I will be sure to pass these comments on to the team working that day. From reviewing your profile I note that you had reviewed our hotel this time last year regarding your Christmas Day lunch once again. I am therefore quite suprised to read some of the comments as it is the same Chef and practically the same menu and products used. With regards to the placement of your table, it was noted as a table requested in the centre bay window, my apologies, I had thought this was a request for the Lorien Suite. I do hope that you will give the hotel another chance this coming Christmas Day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridge of Allan
Holiday Inn Express Stirling
Golden Lion Hotel
Golden Lion Hotel
#10 of 20 in Stirling

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!