“A great restaurant in a small town.”
Review of La Cucina

La Cucina
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: modern italian restaurant ideal for lunch and business meetings during the day and night, serving a la carte meals with the emphasis on daily specials.
Menstrie, United Kingdom
“A great restaurant in a small town.”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

This was a Xmas gift from my sister, so I should be careful what I say. We got a gift voucher for a restaurant. I did not know such existed. I am enlightened (in a small way).

That being said, there is not a lot I need to censor. This is a first class restaurant. It is expensive - £60 for two of us - for two courses, wine and coffee. But it delivers value – and that is important.

Strangely, because a place is good, you sometimes feel that you can criticise some of the small things which if changed would make it great. We had two courses each. My vegetable lasagne was good. It was layers of aubergine and pasta. The quine’s main course was fish. She is a traditionalist so thought it should be served with plain potatoes rather than roast. The roasters were very small and cooked well. She thought the strength of the olive oil overpowered the delicacy of the fish. The fish was also served with a couple of spoonfuls of bouillon – a bit runny. The only criticism of lack of value was the pudding - the Praline semifreddo . It cost £5 and was tiny. I thought they were taking the p1ss on this one, I’m afraid.

The wine was good and the coffee excellent. The waiters were very efficient and attentive. Quine thought they lacked a little friendliness. She sensed that as we were not regulars, we were making up the numbers. We may be wrong, we may be right.

It was also incredibly loud - not the music, but the patrons enjoying themselves. We had to raise our voices to hear each other. That was quite a trick for restaurant to pull off.

Should you go there? Yes. Go and enjoy yourself. They deserve success and you deserve some good food.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank TheBodach

Cannes
“A real find.”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Attractive premises and a very warm welcome provided an excellent start. The early evening menu certainly succeeded in ensuring the restaurant was busy with a good atmosphere. The food seemed freshly cooked, with lots of flavours which seemed to meet the approval of customers with "tastings" being made from neighbouring plates (same table only!!).

• Visited April 2012
Bishops Stortford
“Great little restaurant!”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Have been there 4 times in the past year and a half. Good points are that it is small, intimate and with friendly staff. Usually pretty lively and with good food generally. Main area for improvement during our last visit was that the sea bass was far too oily and, when we brought it to their attention, they did make amends. Overall, very good and will go back again soon.

• Visited February 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited this restaurant while staying at a nearby hotel and from reading excellent reviews. We were not disappointed. They were able to accomodate us despite being a busy night and us not having booked. The waiters were lovely, the choice of food was varied and tasted good - we were so stuffed we could't finish our main courses. We had to wait a while in between courses but I understand when things are made so fresh sometimes you have to wait. It was quite reasonably priced (£70 for 2, 2 courses each and a bottle of wine). Would return and would recommend.

Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal and service - will definitely return”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We chose this restaurant for my wife's birthday and we weren't disappointed. Great food, great service, reasonable price and a nice atmosphere made the evening perfect. Will definitely return without the car and sample the various liquers on offer.

• Visited March 2012