“Good function hotel”

The Popinjay Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rosebank
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding of a business colleague . The hotel is geared around functions. The staff really know what they are doing and did a first class job managing the event. The public rooms link onto a very nice garden. It was 28C the days we were there so garden access was great.

The bedrooms were less impressive. Very hot. The windows would not open and with no air conditioning it was very uncomfortable. The bathrooms had been refurbished but were not great.

Pricing was a bit odd. A large bottle of water was about £5. They seem to do deal on websites selling rooms and meals very cheap then have to charge crazy prices for drinks and meals. OK if you got a room deal - not great otherwise.

Room Tip: Book a refurbished room with windows that open facing the garden. Rooms at the front face a busy ro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I along with our 2 friends stayed in this hotel on the night of 20th July, the temperature outside was 28 - 30 degrees therefore we wanted to use the hotel grounds to sit and have a few drinks in the sun, however, there was a wedding on and apparantely hotel guests have no right to sit outside as this area is exclusive to wedding guests!! If we were told at time of booking that this was the case i'm sure we would have thought twice about booking that night, after complaning to staff they relented and said we could have the small decking area to sit and have a drink as long as we were quiet!? I'm afraid we were made to feel like second class citizens and will not be using this hotel again...

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Just returned from 1 night stay at this hotel - was a deal via the daily great deal site and I really cannot find fault with my stay and the hotel. Very friendly staff, lovely room, lovely surroundings, great food and nice comfortable spa. Breakfast in morning was impressive, with the usual selection of Scottish breakfast and cereal etc ! Will def go back and if it is another deal; even better .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I wouldn’t class myself as a “frequent user” of this hotel but would say that I have stayed here a number of times over a couple of years or so and recommended friends and colleagues who also frequent the Popinjay. Generally I rave about this hotel, how it is value for money, spa facilities, high standard of room etc however I was not so lucky on this visit, with a room towards the back of the hotel, 1970’s orange patterned carpet, basic, worn furniture, dreadful bed, not to the usual standard I have experienced. I have previously paid a lot less and had a lot more from the Popinjay, working in customer relations myself I would suggest the Popinjay screen bookings and treat regular users a little better than average joe off the street. Just a little disappointed on this visit and will consider other hotels now before rebooking, sorry

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The main strength of this hotel is without doubt the staff. They are friendly and very helpful. We stayed one night on a KGB deal which was exceptional value. The accommodation was initially good but sadly due to a problem with the water in our bathroom we had to move to another room. Although it was clean and well equipped it was very small for a double room but as the hotel was very busy it was the only one available, had we been paying full tariff I would have expected a reduction. However this did not spoil what was a very relaxing stay. The gardens were lovely and we spent the afternoon there. The dinner was excellent, the menu had something to suit every taste and the food was plentiful and of good quality. I would stay here again but would be very specific about the room requirements when I booked.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel is on a main road so there is traffic noise. Some rooms, although classed as...
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I spent time at the Poppinjay 25 years ago and decided to revisit the property.
The hotel had been remodeled and the quaint charm was gone. The lobby area was grotesquely decorated and void of personality. The upgraded bedroom was poorly decorated with shabby, stained brown carpeting, purple and black window coverings with matching fabric on the bed and couch, a small bathroom with few amenities, and no air conditioning. Though we planned to stay to visit friends in the area for two days, one night was enough. Needless to say, we will not be returning.

2  Thank A T
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Good clean Boutique Hotel, good location, friendly, helpful staff, from the front desk throughout
Holy made us most welcomed serving drinks and food in the gardens
Nice Bistro Bar and Lobby etc, Good food at dinner and breakfast
Lots of Garden Centres in walking distance from Hotel
Nice Spa, good size pool for size of Hotel, Free WI-FI throughout Hotel
Only two negatives were hot water temperature could have been hotter and the small sink in bathroom

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosebank
New Lanark Mill Hotel
Dalziel Park Hotel & Golf Club
Cornhill Castle Hotel
Cornhill Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Coulter

Been to The Popinjay Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!