The Popinjay Hotel and Spa
$63
$52
Strathaven Hotel(Strathaven)
$124
All reviewsrefurbished roompool and jacuzziafternoon teaan overnight staywet roombirthday treatbuffet stylea bit tiredfood was lovelyfour poster bedhigh standardcooked breakfastevening mealfirst classleisure facilitieslovely roomrelaxing break
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This hotel definitely needs upgrading and staff training. Outside of the hotel needs some attention, we where in room 11, this room was very spacious, bathroom large and clean, however hotel information booklet needs to be replaced and cleaned, we went for breakfast the next morning to find a waitress folding napkins and where told to sit anywhere that was set up, a small continental breakfast was supplied, milk /juice/cheese/gammon all left out on a table uncovered and not chilled, the waitress came over and asked us if we wanted something hot, we had to guess what was available and we asked for poached eggs/toast. We heard a voice shouting repeatedly service, eventually the waitress came over with the breakfast, I noticed the plate had the remains of someone else's egg, I waited and waited for the waitress to retun to complain but she never
returned. The next morning breakfast was served in a different room by a very friendly and trained waitress what a difference that made to our stay.The pool was clean and staff friendly, Mixed feelings about this hotel it has lots of potential.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We enjoyed a lovely Sunday roast lunch at the Popinjay followed by a few hours in the gym & sauna/jacuzzi then dinner in the Bistro. We stayed at the hotel after a complaint when there was a few issues, including no hot water in the room. The overnight restored by confidence somewhat in the Popinjay. We loved Room 6 with the 4 poster bed although it was still a bit tired with peeling paint work. The hot water did come on eventually! We really enjoyed the spa area which is spacious and modern. Staff especially in the bistro were very professional and helpful. Not sure i would give the hotel a 4 star but thanks Popinjay for an enjoyable break.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at The Popinjay on Saturday 4th May for our anniversary. It was a lovely night. the staff are so welcoming and friendly. We stayed in Room 4 which has a gorgeous 4 poster and a lovely new bathroom. We had dinner in The Bistro followed by a few drinks. We also used the pool, sauna and jacuzzi which were very clean and so relaxing. I highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I got a great last min deal here and to be fair the room I had has seen better days and it a little out of date and scruffy. However it was cheap and the hotel was under referb so given these details I was not unduly happy.
The rest of the hotel was really nice, the gym had some impressive state of the art machines and the pool area was just great after a days work.
As the village has no other facilities I ate in the hotel, not something I do normally as I like to explore. However the menu was brilliant and I had a great meal, I actually went for some of the cheaper things on the menu with additional salads and had a great little feast. The staff where patient with as they worked around me watching TV off their very good wifi whilst I ate - clients with Iphones watching TV not good in a restaurant I know but was on my own so why not, nobody seemed to mind!
Breakfast was good, still full from the night before I just ordered some egg and bacon with toast - not a full breakfast. The plateful I got of eggs I would question if there is any eggs left in Scotland, I managed about a quarter!!
All in all a good place - I doubt I will stay again as it was a one off trip, and it seems a shame its worth a stop if you are passing

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dave E
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The hotel itself is pretty average and will never make a 4 star , owners and some of the management lack professionalism , the fitness area is the worst , the pool area tiles never look clean , the paint on the ceiling is peeling off , the sauna feels grubby and theres an old plastic bowl for keeping the water in which is always empty , the changing area is always hot and humid and your sweating minutes after your shower in the grubby shower stalls , with mouldy grout and chipped shower trays , lockers don't work properly with a lack of keys hence out of order signs , hair dryer hanging over sinks ( shocking ) , the weights area is the worse its absolutely filthy , machines are very very grubby and poorly maintained , the staff seem pretty nice on a plus point , I had a look at the membership fees and its a joke for the condition and cleanliness of the gym , could go on but I've had enough , I think the owners need a proper maintenance company to look after and keep on top of things rather than paying pennies for shoddy work and what looks like diy quick fixes and expecting guests or even members to put up with it , health & safety and environmental health are needing a call , because if management think this cleanliness and safety are acceptable then what are other parts of the hotel like

• Stayed: March 2013