“Overnight stay”

The Popinjay Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rosebank
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed overnight on 5th November 2012.the room had a four poster bed and newly refurbished bath/shower room.We had a good view of a fireworks display from our window.We ate in The Perch Bistro. The food was very good and reasonable too. We had a few drinks in front of a fire( gas but with life like flames) and staff were attentive but discrete.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I booked a deal through Glasgow Great deals -very reasonable but very difficult to get availability. This Hotel is popular as a wedding venue and I can see why. We had a warm efficient welcome at reception , spacious room recently refurbished with a very smart en-suite bathroom.All mod cons , hairdryer ,tv etc. Dinner was included and if you haven't booked I would recommend. Fair choice on the menu and everything was well presented , tasty and hot.Nice service from the staff , efficient but not in your face .Breakfast was equally good with a continental choice on the side , only small gripe was the waitress moved every couple who tried to sit by the window and said it was reserved -we were there till end of service and 5 couples were moved including ourselves but no one got to eat there. At first I thought it was because we were on a voucher ! When I asked the waitress she said it was reserved for 4 people ( they did not exist) Small thing but a little annoying after the great service we had in the rest of the hotel. We used the pool and jacuzzi and that was clean and great size. I would easily recommend this hotel for one or two nights at any time of year

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laineypops1
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Managed to squeeze into the last weekend of the Great Deal offer and were given room 16 which was actually a family room which was very nicely decorated and spacious!, On first sight the bed looked like a kingsize but then realised it was two beds put together which made sleeping a bit akward! The other downside of the room was the pressure of the shower which was slightly more than a trickle! Took ages to wash the soap out my hair! We tried to phone down for room service and the phone wasnt working so had to call reception from our mobile!
Leisure facilities were nice although the 'electronic key' system for the lockers were a bit of a nightmare as i had never used it before and the leisure assistant didnt hand me a key before going through to the ladies changing room, so i had no idea what to do when trying to put my clothes in the locker! Luckily my partner came to the rescue with keys ..once i had entered the pool leaving my locker open.!... so i had to get back out and try the key.. which didnt work! Thanks to the lady who changed keys with me and gave me her locker when she was leaving! Was glad to eventually get back into the pool for a heat !!
The carpet in the corridors is badly stained and in need of changing.
Food was lovely, we had a small lunch when we arrived (service was slow).
Evening meal in the restaurant was delicious but was slightly spoilt with the waiters rushing back and forward through to the kitchens right beside our table!
Breakfast was sparse (no beans) as we arrived 20 mins before service ended.
All in all good value withe the deal but probably won't return!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Arrived to find our booking was in for the next day, think we got the last room in the place, un -refubished room which wasn't too bad but there is no excuse for a dirty toilet and a huge 3 strand cobweb - old room or not, there are basic minimum standards. Meal was nice, service very slow and the table beside us commented on that. Good breakfast but again under-staffed. On checkout just presented with bill, not asked or thanked for our stay. Have emailed since our return but no-one has had the decency to advise or acknoweldge....

Room Tip: Ask for a clean room!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Booked my Great Deal offer at the last minute and was told it would be in one of the unrefurbished rooms. As I was unsure when I could visit again I took this room and was a bit worried. No need to worry as our room was spacious, clean and tidy with a lovely view of the garden to the rear of the hotel. Afternoon was nice but nothing special. Scones were lovely but the finger sandwiches had hardly any filling for the thickness of the bread and I often go for afternoon tea and love nice little cakes, these were mainly loaves and although nice didnt really excite me. However dinner was excellent, lovely choice of menu, service was nice and food tasty. (Service at breakfast and afternoon tea was a bit unorganised but dinner and bar service good). Coffee let them down, my husband had an expresso which was pretty watery, we told the waitress who brought another and made this a double expresso but it really wasnt much better. (brush up on coffee skills if reading this). Pool was lovely and is used by locals who are very friendly. If you like the gym remember to take your trainers, equipment looked good, we will the next time. Area around hotel has so much to offer. Lots of garden centres and New Lanark is not far away. Roll on the next deal.

Room Tip: I loved my room at the back facing onto the garden which was also away from the main road so expect...
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We purchased Great Deal vouchers for My friends and the 6 of us had a wonderful time. The meal was first class and the service was excellent. The spa facilities are second to none. I would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending this hotel to anyone. Our rooms were very spacious and clean Wonderful location and friendly staff. Will certainly go back to visit this little pearl in the valley. The only down side was we didn't stay longer it would have been amazing.

Room Tip: We had no problems with our rooms at all and had a brilliant sleep
1  Thank TeresaTommy
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I purchased a great deal voucher that got you an overnight stay for 2 on a Sunday, afternoon tea, £40 to spend on dinner, breakfast and full use of the spa facilities. I'd read some reviews on here from people who'd stayed in non refurbished rooms and I was a bit nervous. Check in was at 2pm but our room wasn't ready until 3pm. Wasn't the end of the world though. We had a wander outside and went for our afternoon tea until it was ready. The tea was lovely. Had 3 finger sandwiches each, about 6 or 7 slices of a various selection of loaves and a scone. The scone was really nice. Got our room, which wasn't a refurbished room but it was absolutely fine. It was clean and tidy and there was plenty of room. We spent the afternoon using the pool and sauna. Again nice and clean and the staff were really helpful. We ate in the restaurant and the food was amazing. I had wild mushrooms on toast and my partner had the prawn cocktail. I then had the lamb chump and he had the sea bass. Both were absolutely delicious. I really can't stress how tasty the food was. We both had a pudding. Breakfast the next morning was buffet style and again was great. There was plenty of choice.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel. It was great value for money with the great deal voucher. The bits of the hotel that I seen that have been refurbished looked great, but our room was still nice.

Room Tip: We had room 29, hadn't been refurbished. Room was at the back of the hotel. Bit of squeaking f...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosebank
New Lanark Mill Hotel
Dalziel Park Hotel & Golf Club
Cornhill Castle Hotel
Cornhill Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Coulter

Been to The Popinjay Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!