“Okay, but could be so much better”

Popinjay Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Rosebank
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Nice decor and pleasant staff. Cooking is uneven though. Filet sorely overcooked. But reasonably priced. I so want to give this place a rave review but the standard of cooking needs to improve.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Restaurant had a lovely atmosphere, menu was good and food was nice however expresso coffee's are to be avoided until the master the art.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

The food at the Perch Bistro (Popinjay Hotel) is first class, right from starters through to desserts. For lunch we had the haddock chowder and lamp chump - both were superb. For dinner we had goats cheese/salmon starters. This was followed by venison which was literally melt in the mouth. It's the best food we have tasted for some time and shall definitely return time and again. Next time fish & chips (we saw someone being served these and this too looked fantastic)........!

1  Thank Angela P
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Visited on Saturday 1st September. Table for 4 at 8pm. Shown quickly to table and despite some of the other reviews mentioning the temperature, I found it to be well maintained despite being in a full room.

I opted for the chicken liver parfait which was nowhere near as good as I'd had previously in the Dalzell Park or Artisan in Wishaw. It actually tasted like a shop bought pate from Morrisons. I mean no disrespect to that particular supermarket brand but I expected a little better from the Popinjay.

I had the medium rare rib eye for main and couldn't fault it.

One of my table mates ordered his well done (each to their own) but it came out rarer than mine. If he sends it back at this point we're eating at different times so he soldiered on but it really was an amateurish mistake.

My partner's sea bass came with a tomato and garlic pasta that was overpoweringly garlicy.

Nice cheesecake dessert to finish.

All in all some good and some bad but for the money you are paying I would suggest one of the establishments mentioned earlier.

The service was perfectly fine but the value for money was not.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

If you want to eat in a Sauna, this place is for you! Seriously, the service is well intended but misses the mark - the food is passable. Also - when you have to ask for a wine bucket for a bottle of white wine, which wasn't chilled in the first place...you'll see what I mean.