“A 2 day Lanarkshire Bread”

Shieldhill Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Biggar B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A 2 day Lanarkshire Bread”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Shieldhill lies close to Biggar in rural Lanarkshire. A one time castle it has been much added to and altered over the years. The promotes itself as a 'wedding venue'.
Service friendly and room satisfactory though portable heaters hint at a problem. Breakfast disappointed (ketchup in plastic sachets) but the evening meal was good.
We enjoyed our stay I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Best stay in main building as rooms in stables mean an open air walk to dining facilities.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Scotland
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We looked forward to our afternoon tea having purchased an Itison voucher for £21 (value £46). Even although the recent reviews had been varied we went with an open mind.

The drive up to the hotel is quite impressive. We were greeted warmly and sat in the lounge with our glass of champagne. There were lots of big sofas but the room would have benefitted from having the fire lit. It was snowy outside and although not freezing, it would have been more comfortable. The walls are wood panelled in keeping with the building but the room was a bit on the dark side.

We were taken to the dining room for our afternoon tea which unfortunately we found very average. Again the fire was not on. It looked as if it had been earlier but had not been re-lit. Food was plentiful but sandwiches were made with regular white bread which is not my favourite. Scones with jam and cream or butter were good and warm. 'Homemade' cakes (as advertised) did not appear or taste homemade to me. They were all a bit sweet and sticky. There were lots of them but none that made your mouth water. We would have liked a refill of tea but no-one asked us. I would have asked but the staff all seemed to disappear.

Unfortunately we were disappointed and would not really recommend it or return.

2 Thank Jackiee19
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Oh dear....I am really not sure where to begin. We have loved this venue for a long time and we chose to marry there many years ago and have stayed on many occasions so we were delighted to hear it had re-opened. How I wish we had never returned as we had such a poor experience and it is now unlikely we will ever go back.
Although Shieldhill was always on the shabby chic side you could overlook some of the issues as the food, wine and service were always excellent but not now.
We had an itison voucher as did every other guest I think and we upgraded our room. On arrival to our room it was very cold, most of the radiators didn't work, the bathroom was unclean with several hairs in the bath and the water was lukewarm and slow running so you could not enjoy a bath. Some water in the room would have been nice. The lux soap dispensers in the bathroom are cheap and what I would expect in a travel lodge.
We went down to the bar for a drink, no one was there and we waited along time before going to find someone. We felt like a snack but the bar options were frankly dreadful and offered bad pub food at best.
Before dinner we fancied a glass of champagne but they don't serve by the glass so we settled for prosecco, both glasses were spilled by the waiter while being carried to the restaurant and were not replaced. We got a basket with two bits of poor quality bread. My starter of salmon and prawns topped with cress were so basic, tasteless and 1980's I was shocked. My seabass arrived as one tiny fillet with some boiled carrots and broccoli and the Eton mess dessert was inedible with the meringue non existent. Our red wine was not quite the same as that on the wine list but we accepted it only to find it was served very cold and huge glasses were poured without the offer of tasting. We asked for a pot of coffee at the end of our dreadful meal which they couldn't provide and we were served pretty awful instant.
The meal was just so poor, I cannot remember the last time I ate something so basic. Anywhere in Glasgow or Edinburgh would serve better food. It is a far cry from the type of food and wine you would have previously expected at this venue.
We thought at least the breakfast would be ok but I couldn't eat mine as it had been fried in a gallon of oil and was completely saturated. The sachets of sauce and white pepper on the table again really cheapen the environment. Guests all around us were complaining too that food and wine were often different to what was described on the menu and that the service was poor.
All in all, an unbelievably poor experience and considering we spent £230 in the end with the voucher, upgrade and wine it was absolutely not worth it and there are other places we would rather go.
What a shame as it is a stunning venue but it is now going for a very down market approach. I just think there are so many lovely weddings venues now and great restaurants to go to that once the vouchers dry up I cannot think why anyone would go back.

• Stayed March 2013
9 Thank Chen27
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Booked a wee night in Shiieldhill Castle Hotel.

The drive to the hotel is very rural once you come off the motorway, you'll get there eventually.

On arrival, expect to be greeted by Oscar, one of the Castle cats. We were shown to our roomm that was located on the second floor. There are no room numbers, only names. The Culloden room overlooked woodland. The room was very tastefully decorated and had everything you would expect. The bathroom was huge and had a very large clawed foot bath.

On arrival at the restaurant, we were greeted by the staff who escorted us to some nice big comfy sofa's and took our drink orders whilst we perused the menu. Once our table was ready we were escorted through to the lovely dining room. The food was amazing.......... Good old Scottish Fayre...... A few after dinner drinks in the bar and then off to bed......

A full Scottish Breakfast.......mmmmm..... or continental if you are watching your waistline......

Overall an excellent stay. Food amazing......... Staff very tentative......... Cat cuddly.....

Enjoy!!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely. Best to look at the website and select a room as they are all very diffe...
scotland
Reviewed March 16, 2013

2nd stay at this hotel in the past x3months with Itison voucher.
Small improvements have been made since my last stay and it shows!
Food excellent....both dinner and breakfast were superb. Staff very courteous and very attentive. Room was comfortable with a heater to ensure it met your individual needs.
Could not fault it this stay.
Well done Shieldhill
We will be back

Scotland
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend for dinner bed and breakfast. It is a nice private secluded location in the countryside, which we loved. The room was good at first glance, but soon noticed the half-hearted refurbishment attempts, with bare plaster hidden behind a curtain, and the radiators werent working, and there was no hot water. After much faffing around by the staff, they managed to get one radiator working, and gave us a supplimentary heater, and after another half hour we had hot water, so my gurlfriend could finally have a bath. So the first 2 hours of our stay were wasted by these issues, which was disappointing. The pre-dinner drink by the fire was nice. The dinner was pretty good, until my girlfriend found a gritty layer of crusted dirt around the top of her wine glass, which she found disgusting. I complained, and the glass (full of wine) was taken away and replaced with an empty glass. I had to complain again that we had lost a full glass of wine. The staff seemed to think we were making a fuss about nothing, but at £30 a bottle, i wasnt happy. The customer service manager offered us a complimentary after dinner drink from the bar, which didnt really help, as my girlfriend was totally put-off by the experience. The breakfast was good, but we'd had enough by then and left pretty unhappy. The highlight of the trip was a private helicopter landing in the grounds. I think we were pretty unlucky with our stay, but I certainly wouldnt go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank broomthundle
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

dont know where to begin.. I visited here while heavily pregnant for soup and sandwhich. Asked if there would be dates on my sandwhich as a wasnt taking kindly to them. Was told they would take them out. So thought great. Then after waiting what seemed a life time it came soup hade a skin, no cutlery in sight not to mention their feline friend decided to jump on the table. I am alergic to cats besides the fact i consider that a hygiene issue! Oh and the date were present! Toldthe young lad i hade asked for it without the dates and hes said in a maner i can only describe as disgusting, its already made up like that.
And the building was freezing.
never again......

• Stayed October 2012
6 Thank tyyrell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Biggar
Tinto Hotel
Elphinstone Hotel
#3 of 3 in Biggar
New Lanark Mill Hotel
Mercure Peebles Barony Castle Hotel

Been to Shieldhill Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!