“Surprised by previous reviews.”

El Barril Mexican Grill
Ranked #27 of 153 Restaurants in Maryville
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband and I have been here 3 times, we eat out most of the time, are always trying new places, and going to eat is our kind of our thing. I feel like El Barril has good servers who are friendly, the food is just as good as any other Mexican dining in Maryville with slightly better pricing.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

The kids wanted McDonald's but the hubby and I were in the mood for something a little more substantial...Mexican, to be exact. We spotted a McDonald's on the side of the road and decided to pick up something for the kids and let them carry it to whatever Mexican restaurant we happened to spot. We were delighted to spot El Barril in the shopping complex located behind the McDonalds.
After we were seated, it took quite a while for an attendant to ask for our drink orders. She took the order for myself and my husband and began to walk away when we stopped her and ask that she take the kids' drink orders as well. We also had to request that menus be given to us.
After we received our menus and drinks, it was about 10 minutes before she returned to take our order. At this point, I have to mention that it was obvious our waitress wasn't very schooled in English. For my order, I wanted a beef burrito, she replied with something else to verify the order, and I repeated that I wanted the beef burrito. I even pointed to it on the menu and she nodded her understanding.
For the good part, the food itself was actually to our table within 5 minutes of our order. I commented to my husband that I was surprised to get so much food for the price of a burrito appetizer...the plate included a good portion of rice as well as shredded lettuce and a dollop of both guacamole and sour cream. It didn't take long to suspect that she had put me down for a meal of some sort instead of simply a burrito. This was confirmed when the bill arrived and the charge for my meal was about 4.00 more than it would have been had I simply received what I had ordered.
Because I had eaten and we had already lost more time than we should have in there, we decided to just not say anything, pay the bill and get out of there. She collected our debit card, went to the back, and didn't return for 5 to 10 minutes. I got so concerned with the time that had elapsed that I got up and began to look for her, and saw her behind a small wall appearing to swipe the card through the register. She was gone for what seemed far too long, enough so that I was concerned she may be taking card information for later use (she certainly had the time).
In short due to our experience we will not be back to this establishment, and...sorry if the girl was innocent....but the situation will result in me checking my account for unauthorized transactions very, very carefully for the next few weeks!

1  Thank ngachick
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Don't waste your time,..... food is gross, bland.. and all the weird Mexican waiters stared at me and my daughter the entire time with their creepy smiles!!.. The owner is a perv.. and would not honor my coupon because I ordered water instead of a $3.00 beverage.
Continue on 411 to the wild west. Their food is wonderful, staff is great!

1  Thank Tammi M
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We came here for the grand opening. Wasn't very busy and looks the same inside as the Mexican place that was there before. Entree didn't come with the rice as stated in the menu. I ask for a taco with beans instead of meat. Once I got the correct taco the shell was stale. Over all the meal lacked flavor and was huge disappointment. There are several Mexican resturants in town so save your money and go visit one of them.

1  Thank waterdogooder