“My favourite so far.....”

Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Turnberry
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Comfort, luxury, yet not pretentious. Fantastic food, service and the obvious golf courses only add to the location. Yes, it's got a price tag but for a treat it's a magical place. I've been fortunate to stay on three occasions, I wish it was more than that.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations with us. I am delighted to hear that you hold Turnberry in such high regards and that all three of your stays have been exceptional. We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort in the future for a relaxing break in this small piece of heaven on the Ayrshire coast!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,481)

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Booked a suite for 2 nights with our kids. Everything as always was spot on...food and drinks in the bar, afternoon tea in the lounge with board games. The service in the breakfast room has definitely improved and was excellent. So well done to the team there. The price suite was immaculate, comfortable and they'd put ina. Christmas tee and fireplace garland, lovely. Was sad to see the nespresso set was gone and replaced with a machine and pods which aren't quite as good. Overall this hotel knocks the spots off the competition - it wipes the floor with cameron house as the service and standards are way above. One point - no one on the door to welcome/take bags/take the car away and it was blowing a gale. Very unusual. And the pool is just slightly too cold for the winter. Otherwise loved it. The homemade caramel shortcake in the lounge is super duper and the kids loved the real gingerbread house.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your comments and observations following your recent visit to Turnberry. I am truly delighted to hear that you and your family had another enjoyable stay amongst us- I will be sure to share these amongst our teams. I also appreciate all of your comments and will follow up with the relevant department managers regarding the small issues you have so kindly brought to my attention to ensure these do not reoccur in the future. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty to Turnberry and wish you and your family all the very best for the rest of 2014. We hope you will return to the resort in the near future where another warm, indigenous welcome awaits you.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Turnberry WAS one of my favourite places and I thought it had returned to it's former glory but when took family for 50th Anniversary to Sunday Brunch 1st September, 2013. Service very poor,little things that make a meal special were missing and the Port when it eventually came had nearly as much lees as it did Port, did not want to spoil it for them at the time and so I phoned the following day expressing my disappointment followed by letter but no reply, wrote again beginning December, 2013 to General Manager and still no reply. We have many good eating places in this area and so Turnberry will not be getting my custom in future. My feedback was to help and a little courtesy goes a long way.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BonnyLassfaeAyr
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations following your recent visit to Turnberry for Sunday Brunch- I do appreciate you taking the time to write, as it is extremely important that we receive feedback from our guests, either positive or negative, in order for us to monitor the level of service that we offer. Having checked our records unfortunately it seems that we have not received your letters. It is clear that the service you received during your visit fell short of the usual high standards therefore I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any upset or inconvenience caused by this issue. Please be assured that we will through follow up on all of your comments with our food and beverage manager to prevent similar situations from reoccurring in the future. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the future and have the opportunity to provide you with an experience which is memorable for the right reasons. I am sorry that you feel that you would not like to return however if you change your mind; please do not hesitate to contact me directly in the executive office by e-mail gemma.scobie@luxurycollection.com . Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed at Turnberry for one night in December 2013, as part of an Itison voucher for dinner and bed & breakfast. We knew from our reservation that check-in was at 3PM, but we arrived at the hotel at 2PM, hoping that our room would be ready. All the staff were very welcoming at reception, with concierge staff available to help with luggage. On arrival, you're taken to a more private area for check-in, where there are three separate tables for guests to check-in. Whilst checking in we were informed that our room wasn't ready yet, but we were told that it was then given priority with housekeeping and reception would phone us when it was ready. We had a walk around the hotel whilst waiting and it got to 3PM and we still had no phone call. When we arrived back at reception at 3PM, we were told our room was still not ready and it wasn't until about 3.20PM that we were eventually given our room key. This was a bit disappointing, given that much cheaper hotels have the organisation levels to allow guests in early, yet a resort such as this have a delay on check-in.

We choose to upgrade to a deluxe room when we initially made our reservation, however there were no sea-view rooms, so our room faced out onto the car park. It was a very spacious room with very nice modern decor, with nice touches like complimentary mineral water and bathrobes and slippers. The bed in the room was good-sized, very comfortable and made for a good night's sleep. The hotel had 24 hours free internet at quite a poor bandwidth, but with higher bandwidth available to purchase. The bathroom is nicely decorated, with a spacious bath and separate toilet and shower cubicles. One problem with the room was that there was a lack of power sockets in the room, meaning we had to unplug the rooms' lamps to use chargers, etc.

During our stay we used the spa on the day of arrival and the day of check-out, which had good facilities and weren't overly busy. The gym was a decent size and had good, modern equipment. The pool area was a good size, with loungers looking onto the sea, however, the pool itself wasn't massively warm considering it's advertised as "heated", but also had a nice sauna and jacuzzi. We also had two spa treatments - the neck, back and shoulder massage - which were excellent and thoroughly worth the money. The staff who we experienced in the spa were all very helpful and made the experience excellent.

We ate in the 1906 restaurant during our stay, which was an excellent experience. The staff are very attentive and the service was exceptional. The iPad wine list was a nice touch during the meal. As a few have mentioned, some of the extras are quite extortionate in the restaurant, given the price that you pay already, for example, £5 for a side order with dinner seems excessive. However, overall, the food was excellent and the service really made the dinner an experience to remember. The breakfast in the morning was from 7-11AM and is in the 1906 restaurant, offering lovely views out onto the hotel grounds and onto the sea. There was a variety of food offered, with cold continental breakfast available as a buffet, in addition to the cooked breakfast which is ordered from the menu. The food was excellent and one of the nicest breakfasts I've had at a hotel, with excellent service once again. Overall, the hotel is excellent for a short break, with great service from the staff and beautiful rooms, however, it does seem there are some areas to work on, such as ensuring 3PM check-in is adhered to.

Room Tip: We were given room 229, which was located close to the elevator and looked onto the car park, but we...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Turnberry experience. I do appreciate you taking the time to write, as it is extremely important that we receive feedback from our guests, either positive or negative, in order for us to monitor the level of service that we offer. I am delighted to hear that your visit to the resort was a memorable one and that the service you received was to an exceptional level throughout. I was also sorry to hear of the delays you experienced on arrival- please be assured I will follow up with the relevant parties to ensure we address this issue moving forward. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Turnberry in the near future.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Purchased an itison voucher for dinner, bed and breakfast and looked forward to our one night break after Boxing Day. Thank goodness we had a voucher , would not have wanted to pay going rate! Staff we're lovely and very welcoming , no complaints there at all. On checking in our room was not ready but within minutes it was - a computer glitch? Also very intrusive check in situation, as people were sitting behind listening as we were to the people in front of us during their check in , felt like arriving at a holiday camp. On arrival to our room was like entering a giant fridge, too cold for comfort due to the wind blowing through the old windows and lifting the curtains with the force! When we asked if we could move rooms we were offered a heater firstly and then that someone would call us back - we waited 15 mins and no call back. At that point my husband went downstairs and was asked to pay £25 to upgrade rooms which he did. The room we were upgraded to was perfectly serviceable but not any better than a lot of hotel rooms at lesser tariffs. Bathroom was lovely but they had this daft wee dressing area with one plug point for hair dryer etc which for us ladies was awkward for styling hair! The restaurant staff were excellent but to be honest the supposedly £45 allocated each for dinner was strange as every other item had an additional charge. For my particular meal I had crab lasagne which was £6 extra and we ordered a tiny portion of mash and a side of 12 fries which cost us an additional £10. All in all we spent an additional £41 on things that to me should have been included. My conclusion is that if you are offering cut rates to get your hotel filled then you do not start charging extras on menus for simple items!!!! I have eaten from very similar menus , with crab starter and sides included in my main course for around the £35 mark. Maybe I sound mean but do not put out an offer that does not live up to its name!!!

Room Tip: Be prepared to pay extra to get a warm room!
3  Thank momg23
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Turnberry experience. All feedback is greatly appreciated as it allows us to monitor the level of service we are delivering and helps identify areas which may require our attention. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the shortcomings during your visit which resulted in you feeling like the voucher you purchased was not value for money; please be assured it is never our intention for any guest to leave dissatisfied. I have taken all of your comments on board and have followed up with all relevant department managers who will address the issues with their respective teams. Unfortunately the unusual weather of late had caused some challenges for our operation, especially with regards to room temperature, and I can assure you that this is something we are working to resolve. I hope that you managed to have an enjoyable stay overall and that your experience on this occasion would not deter you from returning in the future as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back. Should you plan to return, please do not hesitate to contact me (Gemma Scobie) in the executive office; I will be delighted to make the necessary arrangements and will ensure that your next visit is memorable for all the right reasons. Wishing you and your family a wonderful New Year.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We has our first visit to Turnberry having been given a two night break as a Christmas gift, arriving on 27 December 2013.

We were greeted warmly, with check in very courteous and efficient. Our car was parked for us, and as we only had two small bags, we declined the offer of assistance to our room.

We were allocated a classic deluxe room on the ground floor (room 6), facing the main entrance (no sea view). I understand the rooms in this wing have recently been refurbished, and this has been done to a very high standard. Good sized bed with excellent linens, well furnished with good quality apparent every where. An informative in house TV channel was available along with a good selection of TV channels, most free, but with premium channels available. 24 hrs free internet is available, but with fairly low data limit, so if you're a business user you might want to think about paying a small premium for high sped internet. On our first night I think there may have been an issue with the heating as there seemed to be a loud sound of running water above the ceiling, but this subsided and wasn't heard again.

Our room was suitable for wheelchair access, with the bathroom fitted out appropriately. All spotlessly clean with good quality towels and toiletries provided.

There are a number of dining options available, and we had an in - room breakfast (full Scottish) which was truly excellent and can be highly recommended.

A bracing walk through the golf course to the shore was planned, and a member of the professional staff at the course was extremely helpful in identifying the best route for he time we wanted to spend.

We took meals in the Ailsa Bar and 1906 and found these to be very, very good. Very good ingredients - I'm told were sourced locally - and courteous, attentive staff.

We had two visits to the Spa and gym. Good facilities and we were surprised to find that they weren't very busy with plenty of loungers available. Slight criticism on our first visit would be that the pool area wasn't particularly warm and certainly not warm enough to read a book without a couple of towels wrapped round you. Maybe we were unlucky on the first visit, but the temperature was absolutely fine on the second visit. The changing room facilities are of a good, but not outstanding standard, being on a par with a most health clubs. There did seem to be a lot of wet towels lying around the pool deck along with some empty plastic cups. Possibly down to untidy guests or lack of pool patrols?

Summary.

Pros. Staff, location, facilities. The staff were unfailingly excellent - nothing I could find the slightest fault with and a credit to the Starwood group.

Cons. All are very, very minor, one or two maintenance issues with a couple of corridors looking slightly 'tired'. The grounds were good, but with some litter in evidence. A couple of heavy benches had blown over the first night we were there and were still lying on their back on the grass when we left. Maybe some grounds maintenance required. As indicated above these are very minor issues and did not detract from our enjoyment. Thanks to the management and wonderful staff at Turnberry - we will be back.

Room Tip: Classic deluxe highly recommended.
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I will put it down to the fact that they are about to close for a 2 week pre christmas preperation period but I was a bit dissappointed as I expected perfection from this 5 Star Hotel.

Its the little thing that matter to me and a dirty Tea/ Coffee tray with no milk is not acceptable obviously overlooked when room was last services, hence no milk & I do not expect to have knock at my door at 9pm to be asked if the mini bar can be restocked ( it was full I do not drink ) other than these little things everything was fine, excellent dinner in 1906 & prefect breakfast, staff very attentative & friendly, location fantastic, take care of the little things they matter.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turnberry
Glenapp Castle
Western House Hotel
Malin Court Hotel
Malin Court Hotel
#2 of 2 in Turnberry

Been to Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland? Share your experiences!