“Superb Golf Courses, Lovely Hotel, Great Food, Rooms Too Hot”

Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Turnberry
Buckinghamshire
“Superb Golf Courses, Lovely Hotel, Great Food, Rooms Too Hot”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Turnberry resort and hotel is everything you would expect, we stayed for a golf break in June and had an excellent time, the only thing that stopped it being absolutely perfect was the room. We were given a room not in the main hotel building but in the Spa building, the room itself was fine but it was so overpoweringly hot that we couldn't sleep. At 3am I had to ask reception for a fan or we would not have slept at all, there is no air conditioning in any part of the hotel that I could see. Having said that the golf, the food and the very professional but still friendly staff are the things I will remember not the hot room. If you are a golfer it should be at the top of your list.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't have a room in the spa, if you do check the temperature before you accept it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Turnberry experience. I was sorry to hear of the temperature issues you encountered within your room during your visit. All of our recently renovated deluxe rooms do have air conditioning however unfortunately our classic rooms do not. This is something which we are looking to address in the near future. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any upset or inconvenience caused by this issue. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort in the future where further memorable experiences await you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We have been to Turnberry several times but not since the refurbishment in 2008/9. Generally we were as impressed this time as before with two minor caveats. The WiFi internet was flaky at best (we did express unhappiness about this and all charges were removed) . . and the Duel in the Sun bar fails in terms of decor and ambience. One other minor curiosity: the fantastic memorabilia that adorned walls has now been relegated to a small corridor on the way to the loos. Rather sad really!
The main dining room has spectacular views and excellent food. Service very good.

Finally, the clubhouse and golf courses are spectacular and the golf staff fantastic.

Overall if you are keen on playing golf on fantastic courses then the hotel is for you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Turnberry experience. It is my pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your first visit since our renovation. I have passed on all of your constructive observations and can confirm that we are in the process of updating our WiFi bandwidth across the resort. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Paisley
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This was outstanding. Superb service has always.Love coming here its just gives you a great big hug.Brunch was Fabulous. GREAT selection and the Orkney Gold steak was a melt in the mouth sensation.

Service was impeccable and a pleasure to watch a team serve in harmony!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Laura1210Paisley
Many thanks for your kind comments following your recent visit to our 1906 restaurant for Sunday Brunch. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed a relaxing afternoon with exceptional service whilst indulging in the culinary delights on offer- all of which were prepared by our kitchen team using local, seasonal produce. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We recently spent 4 nights with our son at Turnberry. I have mixed feelings about our stay, but the most strong feeling is that this hotel is not family friendly.

Children - The hotel charges £40 per night for little ones, which is fair. This is suppose to include the childs bed and all meals. However, we where still charged for all of our sons meals at the hotels restaurants (with the exception of breakfast -they actually told us about the kids meal program on our last day)

There are also suppose to be kids programs and activities, but none of these where being run during our stay.

Pool area - we where told our son was welcome to use the pool in "splash hour only" (4-5pm) we thought this was incredibly unfair especially since the pool was empty. The second day we tried, my son was allowed to use the pool but we had to ensure he was out of the pool area by 6.30pm. It seems no one knows the rules so I checked the website and it says little guests are welcome to use the pool as they wish. It's a shame the staff made us feel so bad for wanting to take our son for a swim.

My son was given a Turnberrry backpack on checkout, we thought it was a lovely gesture, until we opened it and saw that there was a passport that my son was suppose to get stamped off during his stay. This just made this after thought gift seem so very tacky and it was clear it should have been presented at check in

Spa - you need to book well in advance for a spa apointment, as a guest staying 4 nights I honestly thought getting and appointment would have been easy, but I couldn't get an appointment even for a short treatment during our stay. The first one available was upon checkout.

Golf - hubby played a round whilst we stayed here, he said the booking was easy and the hire clubs (Taylormade) where great quality. He really enjoyed the whole experience.

Overall, the hotel is lovely and a large portion of it works at an exceptional level. It's just the little things that make travelling and staying with a family that much easier and more comfortable

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tripgirl27
Thank you for your constructive feedback following your most recent visit to Turnberry. I was sorry to hear of the issues you experienced during your stay which meant that your stay as a family was less enjoyable as expected. All of your comments have been taken on board and I have personally followed up with the relevant department manager to ensure that we address your comments in order to ensure that similar situations do not arise again in the future. I also ask that you contact me here in the executive office in order for her to investigate the children’s meals which you were charged for. We hope that you and your family did have an enjoyable stay overall and that you would consider returning to Turnberry again in the future as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back and provide you with a stay which is memorable for the right reasons.
Tiptree, Essex
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I visited Turnberry with business colleagues and enjoyed the whole experience. The Golf clubhouse, Ailsa Course and general quality were excellent. And very friendly staff helped you to relax.
The hotel staff were friendly and efficient, and I had a lovely local beer and burger in the sports bar. Breakfast was of a very high quality - lots of choice - and again lovely views.
I stayed in a lodge room and it was very good and felt like it had been recently refurbished. A little away from the main hotel (3 minute walk - or a 1 minute bus ride) but closer to the golf! I did have a look at some of the hotel rooms and I can see how people say that some of the "inland" rooms were a little tired - especially the bathrooms.

I look forward to my next visit

Room Tip: A sea view room s definately the best, in the main hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your most recent visit to Turnberry. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed staying in one of our eight bedroom lodges which are located in close proximity to the golf courses and have their own lounge area which is perfect for larger groups. We are delighted that you and your business colleagues had an enjoyable stay amongst us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Glasgow
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I recently stayed as a guest with my wife at this hotel and was shocked by the poor standard of the room. I had booked a classic room priced at $159 a night but on arrival decided to upgrade to a sea view for an additional £ 43 pounds. I was informed that the room was in the spa block which is actually a separate block away from the main hotel. The room was poor to say the least. It was large, however the room stank of dampness because of the spa,(according to the duty manager). Why then does a supposed 5 star hotel put guests in these rooms ? The room has no air conditioning and after returning to my room, at 23:00, which was very warm was told by guest services to open the window to cool it down. This allowed me the opportunity to listen to the disco music from a function in the same block.I booked this room to allow me a good sleep before going to work in the morning ,I wish I had driven the 1 hour home as it was so warm that I constantly woke. The bathroom looked like it had been transported back to the 1970's with an antique hairdryer and rusted towel rail. The seperate shower also had mould on the ceiling in several places.The corridor outside the room had a foul fusty smell ( definately not from the spa) and the ceiling above the front door to our room had a large brown stain on it. The duty manager had apparently come over when I reported the smell, but was completely unaware of the large brown stain,you would expect mangers/ staff to notice things like this in a 5 star hotel.Breakfast was nice and not many guests appeared to be staying at the hotel. Why put people in sub standard rooms ? Apparently no classic rooms either in the main hotel or the spa have air conditioning ! The spa was nice and all the staff except for one stropy barman were very helpful.
One of the barmen at the function I attended has serious issues with serving ! Despite being the only person at the bar I still manged not to get served meanwhile 4 other people approached the bar and were served before me. Upon being questionned if he was going to serve me, the look of disgust from him made me alter by decision to purchase any drinks. He then proceeded to be very rude to other customers including throwing back id at one and change at another. Clearly he thought he was above serving drinks to certain clients.
The icing on the cake was that the $159 quoted on my booking form was changed into £145 or thereabouts on my final bill. The supplement for the upgraded room was refunded and breakfast was £48. Upon questionning how $159 changed into £145 I was told because Turnberry use their own foreign exchange rates. This works out at £1 buys about $1.10 US dollars. The currency market rate today is £1 buys $1.57 !
All in all I spent £197 on this tired, weary smelly outdated mouldy room. Value for money most definately not. The rooms on the website look lovely ,however be aware if you book a classic room it will not have basics like air con, may smell and be outdated.
As a Scot I am shocked by the poor standard,quality and value for money that this hotel may offer. Reading other reviews it seems to be hit or miss at this hotel. 5 star hotel should always be hits. Would I stay here again ? Only if I was assured I would get a 5 star room and not a 2 star room.

Room Tip: Avoid Spa rooms and classic rooms as these have no air con.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank truthtraveller
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your most recent visit to Turnberry. I was sorry to hear of your disappointment with your room allocation and with the confusion over the room rate. We will be in touch with you personally to discuss this matter in further detail.
United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We visited Turnberry with friends, and enjoyed the whole experience. Golf and hotel staff as expected were friendly and efficient. Our rooms were a little tired but this didn't detract from an enjoyable visit. On the whole the breakfast was fantastic, but the 1906 restaurant on the first night was disappointing. On talking to management about our problems we were assured our next night would see the issues resolved. This was the case, the second visit to 1906 was amazing with fantastic well cooked food. Top marks for taking our problems on board and resolving them efficiently. I look forward to my next visit

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to a refurbished room. Our bathroom was a bit below par.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your most recent visit to Turnberry. We do appreciate all feedback as it allows us to monitor the level of service we are delivering and allows us to identify areas which may require our attention. It is with this in mind that I thank you for bringing the issues you experienced in the 1906 restaurant to our attention straight away; allowing us the opportunity to redeem ourselves. It is a pleasure to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us overall and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turnberry
Glenapp Castle
Western House Hotel
Mercure Ayr Hotel
Mercure Ayr Hotel
#15 of 17 in Ayr

Been to Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland? Share your experiences!