“It's not all that!”

Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Turnberry
“It's not all that!”
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed overnight stay here, was expecting more of rooms in terms of furnishings to be honest but they were very comfortable beds and lovely crisp sheets.

Afternoon tea was delightful but we did have our tea for a considerable amount of time before any sandwiches etc appeared. They did replenish the tea but service wasn't as good as usual.

We had dinner in the 1906 restaurant and the restaurant was full. We sat at 830 but didn't get dessert until 1125. Exceptionally long between courses. Standard of food was good however.

Breakfast was lovely with good choice of cooked breakfast. We were at a table of 8 but only 1 small round of toast arrived and we had to ask for more. Same applies for tea and coffee only one of each arrived and it took around 30 mins for more coffee to come and no pot of second tea arrived. Toast again took 20 mins to come. Very slow service.

No staff to meet us with cases on arrival unfortunately and several items added to bill which we didn't have.

Overall a nice stay which could have been improved with some more attention to detail although all staff were very friendly and helpful.

2 Thank Craftyalbatross
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for choosing Turnberry as your destination. I am glad that you had an enjoyable experience overall during your recent visit. Please accept our most sincere apologies however for the lack of attention to detail which meant that the service you received was not to the standard which we are so used to providing here at the resort. We are sorry for any upset or inconvenience caused to you and your party. Please be assured that I have passed your comments on to the relevant departments to ensure that situations such as these do not reoccur. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you to the resort in the future and have the chance to redeem ourselves, immersing you in the service which you should have experienced during your stay in December. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Five star Turnberry is ideally located but seems too big to give the level of service expected for the price. Rooms are nice but very loud creaking floorboards above kept us awake. Shower also becomes a bath for your feet as the drain hole cant deal with the massive deluge of water that hits you. Food in the 1906 restaurant is average; a bloody rump steak drowned the veg which was off putting to say the least. And coffee was cold. Breakfast service was slow and choice not the greatest. We were lucky: a large queue formed outside as we eat with some waiting 10 mins tone seated. Disappointing from a 5 star establishment.

3 Thank Dunroamin68
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments following your most recent visit to Turnberry. I was sorry to hear that on this occasion your expectations were not met due to the food and service in the restaurant and the issues you experienced with your bedroom. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any upset or inconvenience these issues may have caused- it is never our intention for any of our guests to leave dissatisfied. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort in the future and provide you with a stay that is memorable for the right reasons. I have passed your comments on to the department managers concerned and would ask that you contact the executive office here at Turnberry if you would like to discuss any of the points you have raised in further detail.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We spent two nights here for my partner's birthday and had an excellent stay.

The welcome was amazing by Jim and immediately made us feel relaxed. He took our luggage to our room and gave us a little tour of the hotel on the way.

Based on the previous reviews, I decided to upgrade to an ocean view room for the extra £25 a night. The room was clean, comfy and waking up to see the sea was a fantastic experience.

We dined twice in the hotel. The first night was in the 1906 restaurant. The food was excellent and I loved the iPad wine menu. The second night we ate in the James Miller room where fortunately, we were the only ones there which was a great experience. Service was faultless and the food was the same high quality standard. I can't understand why more people didn't opt to dine in this restaurant as it was so much nicer. At the end of the meal, we were invited to meet the chef who gave us a tour of the kitchen - we felt like honoured guests as all the staff greeted us as we entered and it was fascinating seeing how the chefs and staff worked.

We visited the spa for a massage on the last day which was very good and with the unexpected sunny weather, we then spent an enjoyable afternoon in the pool area on sun loungers relaxing and looking out at the ocean.

One tip - if you get a chance, ask the concierge to arrange a trip to the nearby Whiskey tasting (A.D. Rattray Whisky Experience). We spent a very happy afternoon here tasting whiskies and learnt loads. I was also informed the person who owns this place used to work at Turnberry.

Overall, we loved this place though I'm a bit worried I've set the bar too high for my partner's next birthday.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jezmond22
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent visit to Turnberry. I am delighted to hear that you had a memorable stay here at the resort, immersing yourself in the full Turnberry Experience, and I have passed all of your kind comments on to our teams. The James Miller room does offer exquisite local, seasonal food in more intimate surroundings which was the perfect option for celebrating your partner’s Birthday. We hope to welcome you back in the future where a warm welcome and further memorable experiences await you.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I wrote a review on the hotel's website a few days ago after a recent one night stay on 9 Dec 2012. On arrival at the hotel my boyfriend and I noted that the concierge greeted me as 'sir' (I am clearly a woman). However, we were thereafter promptly checked-in by another member of staff.

In my view, the service was unfortunately not 5 star. Although I was using a discount voucher, I have stayed at many other four star hotels that had more of a memorable stay with far better service. The corridor leading to the room was slightly shabby (mainly the carpet) compared with the rest of the hotel and several empty champage flutes lay in the corridor for most of the day. The room was pleasant and the bed large and comfortable.

Dinner was fine, although I have eaten in many restaurants at a similar price (£55) that were of a higher standard. The 1906 restaurant is more suitable as a function room and therefore lacked atmosphere.

Breakfast service was quite poor. The staff were not attentive as we had to ask four times for a stronger pot of tea and the clearing of the table was lacking. When the tea arrived approximately 30 minutes later, we received an apology.

Overall, this hotel is aimed at the golfing and functions market. Whilst it a handsome building in a scenic location, it is not really suited for a romantic getaway. Despite the above, I enjoyed my stay due to the company I was in, just a little disappointed considering it has a five star rating and was for a special occasion.

Room Tip: While I have rated sleep quality as very good there was no option to choose good. We stayed in a cl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Guesssst
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay here at Turnberry. I was sorry to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations due to the level of service and the issues you experienced on check-in. Please accept my most sincere apologies for this- it is never our intention for any of our guests to leave disappointed and we are sorry for any upset or inconvenience caused to you and your party. I have personally passed your comments on to the relevant heads of departments to address with their teams in order to ensure that these situations do not reoccur. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Turnberry in the future. If you would like to discuss any of the points you have highlighted in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact the executive office.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in the hotel with our 7 month old son and it was fantastic from start to finish. We upgraded to a superior room which was outstanding. Dinner was excellent and the hotel facilities were great. Our son splashed about for hours in the pool and thoroughly enjoyed himself. The service was brilliant throughout our stay and I had the pleasure of checking out behind Tims_On_Tour which was highly entertaining. They were shamelessly looking for a discount on their bill or freebie. None of their complaints held water but they were highly amusing. Their daughter was a credit to them, very well behaved and would probably have enjoyed sitting with her parents for the afternoon tea where she would have been made very welcome. There were no issues with the pool temperature. My son was happy in it for hours and we certainly didn't queue to use any of the facilities. I can't praise the hotel highly enough. I will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012
Gemma S, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments following your most recent stay here at the resort- it is always a pleasure to hear that we are succeeding in exceeding the expectations of our guests and providing them with a visit that is unforgettable. We are delighted to hear that you and your family had an enjoyable experience with us here at Turnberry, indulging in all the facilities which the resort has to offer. We hope to welcome you back in the near future and on behalf of all the staff I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all the very best for 2013.
Scotland
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Stayed here on a groupon voucher. Room we were given was beautiful with a gorgeous bathroom. The check in staff were lovely and made us feel very welcome. Worried we might be made to feel inferior as on a groupon deal but this was certainly not the case.
We had opted for dinner as part of our deal and the restaurant was lovely. The food was good and the service was excellent as you would expect. We also had breakfast which was very good.
The swimming pool was nice and the water was lovely and warm which was just as well as this was November in Scotland.
As we were blessed with good weather we went for a long walk in the morning through the golf and along the beach to the lighthouse. This was very invigorating especially after a big breakfast and was a beautiful walk.
This hotel is very luxurious but also had a lovely relaxed vibe and every member of staff was friendly and polite. Would definately love to stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Gemma S, On behalf of the management team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for choosing Turnberry as your destination and for taking the time to pass on your kind comments regarding your most recent visit. Please be assured that all guests here at the resort are immersed in the same five star service which makes Turnberry the world renowned resort it is today regardless of the cost of their stay or the booking channels they use. Your kind words have been passed on to all the relevant teams here at the resort. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and we hope to welcome you back to Turnberry in the future, where a warm reception awaits you.
South Ayrshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Made a one night, two double room reservation, inclusive of dinner and breakfast in deluxe ocean view rooms last weekend.
The arrival started with a very warm welcome by the doorman Mr Jim Berry and an offer to assist with luggage as he escorted us to check-in. The rooms, with views over the golf course out to the Firth of Clyde, were excellent. Surprisingly spacious by UK standards, underfloor heating in the bathroom and all facilities you expect from a hotel of this standard. It was strange that the evening bed turn down service only turned down one side of the bed and one chocolate left to share between two!! Perhaps that is why their was only one pair of slippers in the room.

Did not use the Spa facilities but made a short visit to see what was on offer. One of the ladies at the reception desk made us feel most welcome and gave us a short tour of the exercise room and pool area. She was a delight to interact with.

Enjoyed afternoon tea. At £26 it should be of an exemplar standard and it satisfied.

Had pre dinner drinks in the Ailsa Bar where service was sub standard. After receiving our drinks the waiter advised me that the room number I gave was not correct (no guest in that room). I advised him to recheck with reception. He did not return to let me know all was well. I sought him out prior to going into dinner and asked if everything was OK. He said it was, then why did he not return & let me know. He embarrassed me in front of my guests by suggesting I had proffered an incorrect room number for the drinks order and left me speculating there was a problem with my reservation.

The food in 1906 restaurant was of a very good standard & enjoyed but I think the I-Pad being used for the wine list is a distracting gimmick, very slow response to the finger taps to the screen. At a per head cost of £55 for dinner I think the restaurant one mile north, in the village of Maidens, The Wildings, offers better food & value. I note on the room explorers guide that if the reservation in 1906 restaurant is made for the time of 19:06 then complimentary glass of wine is offered. We received no offer and on the room reservation email the time of our reservation was for 19:06...... Perhaps because I was 5 mins late in leaving the Ailsa Bar

Alas, check out was not straight forward. I was over charged £110. Although my reservation was for two rooms (i.e.4 dinners) the restaurant chose to ignore this and charged for my guests. I settled the amount in full and then queried the total. The check lady very quickly sorted this and credited my card for the full amount.

The departure greetings from the doorman was a pleasant as on arrival and his standard of performance certainly exceeds many of this colleagues!!

The hotel had an excellent product, in a super location but there is a lack of attention to detail

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank rbmz
Gemma S, On Behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the indigenous welcome, the captivating views and were happy with your room allocation. I have passed on your kind comments to all concerned. However I am disappointed to hear that on this occasion, the service and the check-out experience did not meet your expectations. I have passed your comments on to the relevant departments to address the points which you have highlighted to ensure that situations such as this do not arise in the future. We did have an offer on over the festive period whereby anyone booking dinner for 19:06 would receive a glass of wine with our compliments. Please accept our apologies that you were not offered the wine and be assured that this was a mistake on our part- not because of the time. We also offer our apologies for the issue you experienced at check-out but are glad to hear that this was resolved prior to your departure from the resort. We are sorry for any upset or inconvenience caused and thank you for your feedback- it highlights our strengths and helps us identify areas which may require our attention. We hope to welcome you back to Turnberry in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turnberry
Glenapp Castle
Western House Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
#1 of 17 in Ayr

Been to Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland? Share your experiences!