“Beautiful views, great staff, a few things to tweak”

Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Turnberry
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Beautiful views, great staff, a few things to tweak”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My friend and I stayed at the hotel as a combined birthday celebration. We used a fantastic Groupon offer which was for one night B&B with a 45 min spa treatment . We found the majority of the staff to be excellent, especially for Scotland - hospitality staff are normally notoriously bad for service here ( we are Scottish so we can say this! )The receptionist ( American) on our arrival was a little glassy I have to say. She made us panic a little as I had forgotten to bring the Groupon voucher with us, stating that we'd be charged the full amount if we didn't produce it. In fact all I needed to do was to email it to her from my phone at some point during our stay which she could have explained in the first place. She also asked us if we wanted morning papers and only after we accepted did she casually say we'd be charged for them! Otherwise concierge, doorman, spa and the Tapas restaurant staff were very friendly and professional.

I had a manicure which wasn't as thorough as I would have liked ,I've had better and the nail technician wasn't very knowledgable on nail conditions, but she was pleasant all the same.
The design of the spa needs to be rethought a little. There are no towels available in the changing rooms which is where you want them. They can only be found at the poolside. The relaxation area also needs A stock of towels otherwise you have to lie where someone else has been lying. To get to the steam room you have walk into the relaxation room which is really annoying for those in there. Pool slippers should also be provided otherwise you have to get your room slippers wet!

Views from the pool are magical and a good number of loungers make it more relaxed. Drinking water should be made available in the spa ( I didn't see any but may have missed it).my friend had a fantastic facial and massage so would recommend these.

I was pleasantly surprised by our classic room which I don't think was one of the ones that has been redecorated. It was crisp clean and fresh with lovely linen and toiletries. The temp of the room was just right for us, not too hot. Would have liked to have been able to open the window in the bathroom as there was no ventilation after a shower. The hairdryer was archaic to say the least ( one of those 70's U shaped things - terrible!) they need to change that!

The absolute highlight was the breakfast. A great selection of fruit, muesli, nuts and pastries/ cold meats followed my some lovely hot options including kippers or full cooked breakfast which wasn't greasy. The only thing that needs tweaked is the system for receiving guests in the breakfast room. It felt like a canteen queue waiting to give your room number to be seated - far too slow and needlessly so. I did like how the staff serving we're aware of guest walking to and fro from the continental breakfast bar and always gave way instead of barging past which often happens in busy restaurants.

The tapas in the Ailsa bar of course isn't really tapas, it never is, but it was tasty and good fun not to mention surprisingly filling. There weren't enough starter options though and the langoustine is grossly over priced at £18.50 for three cut in half as a main!! These were also overcooked. This is still better than 1906 restaurant which we heard from other guests was dreadful.

On the whole we had a lovely time but may not have felt so positive had we been paying full rates!

Room Tip: A room with a sea view is always best , but our room was great and it had a view of the fountain out...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank LorGM
celifox, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Thank you for your full and comprehensive review. Your comments, observations and suggestions have been noted. We are delighted to see how much you enjoyed your Turnberry experience and hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Reviewed November 25, 2012

After getting a great dinner bed and breakfast deal we couldn't wait to stay our first night in the hotel. As we had only travelled from Girvan I can't have any complainants about location. The service of the staff was excellent at dinner we asked to move table as there was a draft coming in from a fire escape,the waitress done this no bother at all. Breakfast was lovely also in the 1906 restraunt,with a great table by the window overlooking ailsa Craig, the only complaint I have would be about the en-suite in the room was rather dated,after looking at some of the photos of the more modern rooms on trip advisor next time I would possibly enquire about an upgrade to a room with a more modern bathroom,however it wasn't an issue that dampened our wonderful stay!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Williammcdowall
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and observations about your recent visit to Turnberry. We are delighted to see how much you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and how our staff looked after you to ensure you were well looked after and comfortable throughout your visit. Please check our web-site for exciting offers throughout the year – we hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
London
Reviewed November 22, 2012

My wife, myself and our 4 year old girl - stayed 4 nights this weekend gone. OUTSTANDING hotel. I am usually very critical about where I stay and what we look for.

The service and rooms are first class. The staff on the front desk and concierge are GREAT. Really makes a difference.

We were trying to decided between the lodges and the hotel. We went for the hotel, and had to eat in some of the expensive restaurants, but loved the fact that we could walk to the spa in the dressing gowns, and have breakfast included.

There are so many activities for the kids. We did: play room, swimming, horse riding, golf range, AND ---- the hotel did a sunday afternoon of cake making :-) - great fun.

I loved the Ailsa course, VERY GOOD INDEED.

The wireless in the hotel rooms is not so good, but there is a cable at the desk.

It is a bit remote. But we went to Ayr for an avo, good cinema and great pub The Beresford!

Weather could not effect our fun. Love to be there in the summer, but then it would be 3x the price :)

Room Tip: Seriously - they are all good.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We are delighted to hear how much you and your family enjoyed exploring all of the exciting activities on offer in and around Turnberry Resort. The enchanting setting and breathtaking scenery enhance time spent with loved ones; helping to create those timeless memories to treasure. Thank you for your kind comments about our staff and service; we will look forward to welcoming you all back again in the future. Please check our website for special offers which are available throughout the year.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Some of the most amazing views from the hotel are when you head out the door towards the golf course. There is a long set of steps with clear views of the sea, the golf courses and the clubhouse. It really is a golfers dream.

The hotel has a lovely reception, the staff were quick to get us checked in and straight through to our rooms (which were ready way ahead of time)! The restaurants offer some interesting options and they seem to be keen to assemble (even cook) your meal at your table. The Crepes Suzette was delicious.

The bar is well-appointed and nice and relaxed, it is not too noisy and it is not too quiet either. Again the staff are really warm and welcoming and very good at their job!

The rooms:
Not the best (considering the price). We had twin rooms and the beds were singles, the bathroom had a fantastic shower though, but the room itself was a little crammed. I would give the room 3 out of 5. For this money I would expect (have have experienced) far better.

The Spa was lovely, popped down their to ease away the pains from golf and it looks nice, it was quiet and the views were beautiful from the pool and hot tub. The steam room was not steamy, the sauna was very hot indeed.

Would I stay again? In a heartbeat, but I think that is more to do with the amazing golf course than it is to do with the actual hotel. If that hotel was anywhere else, I don't think I'd look at it again unless the prices were significantly lower.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
celifox, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your Turnberry experience. The breathtaking views and legendary golf courses help create memories which will last a lifetime and we are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed many of the other aspects, from indulging in our Spa to sampling the exquisite cuisine created by our award winning chefs. As Turnberry is a historical building our upgrading programme is ongoing. Our reservations team will be happy to discuss the room options available to you throughout the resort. We hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to Turnberry again in the future. Please check our website for many exciting offers throughout the year.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in the Lodges and had a great trip visit mid November.
The lodges themselves were of a very high standard,excellent quality and lots of room.
There was a small mix up with a room we had booked but this was dealt with speedily and to our satisfaction which is how all complaints should be dealt and which you would expect in a 5 star resort.Every hotel will have problems of some nature but they are measured by how they resolve them at the time.
From check in to check out you are made to feel very welcome and the hotel has a very homely atmosphere, all the staff were very friendly and while some were obviously being trained it did not take away from the great service delivered by them - happy staff make for happy customers. The Spa was excellent however my wife said there was a wait to use the cubicles to get changed after being in the Spa due to lack of changing rooms. I thought it was strange that there was a women using the men changing area for a shower but the reason was obviously due to the aforementioned changing rooms. Some of our party used the treatments and were very happy with them.
The walks were great and if you don't want to walk all the way to the lIghthouse a small cheat is to park on the old runway in between two of the courses behind the driving range ,not sure if you are supposed to but the walk was only 5 minutes from there, handy if you have a 5 year old in tow ,which brings me on to children at the hotel.
The facilities for children are great,splash time in the pool, chip and putt, horse riding, bear walks, mini farm, birds of pray, the list is endless and we only managed to do a small amount over the 3 days, definitely perfect for families and i am still wondering why they don't shout about this more, possible want to keep the broad range of ages throughout the hotel without turning it into a mini Crieff Hydro?
Food was great ,eat in the Ailsa Bar and found it reasonable for a 5 star hotel, best value are cocktails as were well made and really good value for money. Looking to return in the summer for a week's holiday and a few rounds of golf as Turnberry has it all. Never got a chance to get on the Ailsa course but definitely next time ,Overall excellent for all ages.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank doyle14
We thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent family visit to Turnberry. We are delighted to see you experienced many of the activities on offer throughout the resort and that you are already planning your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to enjoy another great mixture of adventure and indulgence in our magical surroundings!
glasgow
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We have been to the hotel a number of times. It's a great place to relax and not too far from Glasgow so it's really perfect for us, but we have noticed the same issue each visit. A lot of the staff are quite young and some still in training presumably but the bulk are really excellent and this time was no exception. However, a number of the bar staff are strangely unfriendly and quite wooden. We never really feel welcome in the bar. I sent a glass of wine back because it was off (very politely as these things happen and it's not a big deal, you just want it changed without a fuss, not a drama) and the girl said "what do you mean?" in an totally challenging and aggressive manner. It's a shame because the young staff in the restaurant were excellent as always and in particular the young wine waiter was an absolute star (I can't remember his name but he really was first class). The concierge staff and valets are also superb and so we turn a blind eye to the strange bar scenario, but wonder why it is like that? We mentioned it on check out and no doubt we will return at some point so we will see if things have changed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
celifox, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
We are delighted to hear how much you enjoy your visits to Turnberry and we thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Your kind comments about our staff will be shared. However, your comment about our bar staff have been noted and we sincerely apologise for the service incident you described; this will be investigated and action will be taken to ensure instances such as this do not occur in the future; we thank you for alerting us. We hope you will plan another return visit soon and look forward to welcoming you back. Please check our website for exciting offers throughout the year.
UK
Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was our first trip to Turnberry and I was really looking forward to it after hearing some great reports. I should have guessed what my stay was going to be like when I asked for a glass of Sancerre, at the bar when we arrived, recieved Pinot Grigio and got charged the Sancerre price. There was no apology when I asked to see the bottle and asked for the bill to be changed. Service was beyond slow for everything asked for. Dinner took hours and serveral dishes were sent back for a variety of reasons, one waiter even stopped to argue about a complaint someone at our table had made. Our room was very cold and the duvet was probably only 3 tog (v thin) we looked for blankets but there were none and in the end slept in our dressing gowns!
Breakfast was no better with long waits for drinks toast and finally our meal.... for some reason a table for two next to us was getting star treatment and the waiters and management were falling over themselves to keep them happy, which only added to our annoyance.
We had traveled over 4 hours to reach Turnberry and get few chances to have our children cared for overnight so I really wish that we had chosen a different resort!

Room Tip: I think the rooms in the main building had much nicer bathrooms are were a decent temperature. Our r...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank evilegger
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions about your recent Turnberry visit. Please accept our apologies for the differing levels of service you experienced throughout your stay. Your comments have been noted and passed on for investigation and action. Our housekeeping staff will always be happy to provide more bedding for the comfort of our guests, however, we strive to have guest rooms maintained at a constant ambient temperature; if this is not the case, please bring this to our attention in order that we can make sure any problems are addressed. It is never our intention to have any valued guest leave disappointed and we ask you to contact us here in the Executive Office should you wish to discuss this further.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turnberry
Malin Court Hotel
Western House Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
#1 of 17 in Ayr

Been to Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland? Share your experiences!