My friend and I stayed at the hotel as a combined birthday celebration. We used a fantastic Groupon offer which was for one night B&B with a 45 min spa treatment . We found the majority of the staff to be excellent, especially for Scotland - hospitality staff are normally notoriously bad for service here ( we are Scottish so we can say this! )The receptionist ( American) on our arrival was a little glassy I have to say. She made us panic a little as I had forgotten to bring the Groupon voucher with us, stating that we'd be charged the full amount if we didn't produce it. In fact all I needed to do was to email it to her from my phone at some point during our stay which she could have explained in the first place. She also asked us if we wanted morning papers and only after we accepted did she casually say we'd be charged for them! Otherwise concierge, doorman, spa and the Tapas restaurant staff were very friendly and professional.
I had a manicure which wasn't as thorough as I would have liked ,I've had better and the nail technician wasn't very knowledgable on nail conditions, but she was pleasant all the same.
The design of the spa needs to be rethought a little. There are no towels available in the changing rooms which is where you want them. They can only be found at the poolside. The relaxation area also needs A stock of towels otherwise you have to lie where someone else has been lying. To get to the steam room you have walk into the relaxation room which is really annoying for those in there. Pool slippers should also be provided otherwise you have to get your room slippers wet!
Views from the pool are magical and a good number of loungers make it more relaxed. Drinking water should be made available in the spa ( I didn't see any but may have missed it).my friend had a fantastic facial and massage so would recommend these.
I was pleasantly surprised by our classic room which I don't think was one of the ones that has been redecorated. It was crisp clean and fresh with lovely linen and toiletries. The temp of the room was just right for us, not too hot. Would have liked to have been able to open the window in the bathroom as there was no ventilation after a shower. The hairdryer was archaic to say the least ( one of those 70's U shaped things - terrible!) they need to change that!
The absolute highlight was the breakfast. A great selection of fruit, muesli, nuts and pastries/ cold meats followed my some lovely hot options including kippers or full cooked breakfast which wasn't greasy. The only thing that needs tweaked is the system for receiving guests in the breakfast room. It felt like a canteen queue waiting to give your room number to be seated - far too slow and needlessly so. I did like how the staff serving we're aware of guest walking to and fro from the continental breakfast bar and always gave way instead of barging past which often happens in busy restaurants.
The tapas in the Ailsa bar of course isn't really tapas, it never is, but it was tasty and good fun not to mention surprisingly filling. There weren't enough starter options though and the langoustine is grossly over priced at £18.50 for three cut in half as a main!! These were also overcooked. This is still better than 1906 restaurant which we heard from other guests was dreadful.
On the whole we had a lovely time but may not have felt so positive had we been paying full rates!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within an 800 acre estate with views overlooking the rugged Ayrshire coastline, Trump Turnberry Resort is an enchanting destination. Trump Turnberry is the world's original golf resort with over a century of hospitality and tradition. It is scene of some of the most memorable moments in Open history, the championship Ailsa course is a legend in the game. Complimented by The Turnberry Performance Academy, an outstanding teaching facility offering a holistic approach to the game of golf; Trump Turnberry Resort is one of the most magnificent destinations for golf breaks in Scotland. With a range of outstanding accommodation, championship golf, a relaxing ESPA spa, six restaurants & bars and thrilling outdoor pursuits at Turnberry Adventures, Trump Turnberry Resort boasts a myriad of activities for travelers, golfers and families. The resort enjoys a spectacular coastal setting with breathtaking views of the Isle of Arran, Ailsa Craig and the Irish Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Turnberry, a Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland Hotel Turnberry
- Turnberry Westin
- Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland