“Turnberry or Gleneagles ?”

Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Turnberry
Yorkshire
“Turnberry or Gleneagles ?”
Reviewed December 3, 2011

As the two iconic resort hotels in Scotland , how do Turnberry and Gleneagles compare ? Having just returned from Turnberry , and having stayed twice at Gleneagles , I hope that the following may be of assistance to those who have visited one and are contemplating a visit to the other . Though completely unscientific , I offer my winning hotel in a number of categories :

1.Service - Gleneagles
Gleneagles wins by a country mile with almost faultless service in all areas of the hotel . At Turnberry the staff throughout the hotel are pleasant and welcoming but the service in the 1906 restaurant varies between mediochre and diabolically bad (see my later comments ).

2.Location - Draw
Not much to choose between them ; both are a drag to get to by car from anywhere in the UK .

3. View from hotel - Turnberry
Standing on a hillside overlooking the golf course , lighthouse , and the sea , Turnberry takes the accolade for spectacular views but in terms of grounds and surrounding countryside Gleneagles is superior .

4.Rooms - Gleneagles
A difficult one to judge due to the huge variety at each venue . Turnberry upgraded us to an excellent sea view room above the Spa ( room 316 - a full wall of glass ) at minimal extra charge , but Gleneagles is still a cut above its rival ; though we are possibly swayed by having been upgraded at Gleneagles to a top suite ( at no extra cost ) on the occasion of our honeymoon four years ago .

5.Facilities - Gleneagles
Both inside the hotel and around the grounds , Gleneagles is a clear winner . This is especially so if you are attempting to entertain children/teenagers.

6.Golf - Turnberry
Whilst the Kings and Queens courses at Gleneagles are very good and set in beautiful rolling countryside , the Ailsa course at Turnberry rightfully deserves its rating as the 4th best course in the world . Playing on my 50th birthday with Scott , one of the Pros ( thanks to my sister for this surprise present ) , we experienced rain , hail , sunshine and 63 mph gusts but nothing could stop me thoroughly enjoying this golfing masterpiece with extraordinary views along the coast and out to sea .

7. Breakfast - Gleneagles
A tough one . The breakfast at Turnberry is outstanding but that at Gleneagles is ( for those with hearty British palates ) possibly the best in the world with an unrivalled selection of food .However Turnberry isn't a million miles behind . On the last morning I managed a superb breakfast comprising a bowl of Bircher muesli with fresh fruit ( including some sublime melt-in-the-mouth rhubarb ) , followed by home made porridge with a chunk of honeycomb and a dash of malt whisky , followed by eggs Benedict . ( I would have sampled a couple more courses but , sadly , my wife called a halt to my gluttony ! ).

8. Afternoon Tea - Gleneagles
Again this is something that both hotels do extremely well . That at Turnberry should be praised for its quirkiness and unusual dishes and flavours but Gleneagles takes the award for the best tiered afternoon tea . Don't bother with lunch ( or even dinner ) ; a huge breakfast and full afternoon tea at either establishment will satisfy most appetites .

9.Dinner - Gleneagles
Both the Andrew Fairlie and Strathern restaurants at Gleneagles are a tour de force and comfortably trump the 1906 restaurant at Turnberry . ( I haven't eaten in the more exclusive second restaurant at the hotel ) . I enjoyed everything I ate but the poor service in the 1906 restaurant makes it difficult to rate this as anything other than a moderate dining experience.

10.Value for money - Draw
At possibly a third cheaper ( based upon rack room rates ) I would have forgiven Turnberry its failings in the service department and given the hotel the edge , but my wife is stongly of the opposing view and cannot forgive its failings in this area it what is billed as a top 5* hotel .

A number of reviewers have commented upon the service for the dinner on 26th November. As 8.00pm diners sitting within earshot of the restaurant entrance we were in prime spot to see this comedy of errors unfold . Aside from having to order a drink three times ; suffer eating half a steak before the frites finally arrived ; and waiting an eternity between courses , our meal was OK . At the four surrounding tables more exciting dramas unfolded with a steak being sent back ( overcooked ?) and a replacement taking an eternity to arrive ; a Steak Diane being cooked at the table but then left to go cold as first a plate and then the vegetable accompanyment were awaited ( by which time the wife had finished her main ) , with a fresh steak then being needed ; and a table waiting 30 to 40 minutes after their mains for what turned out to be simple to sort out cheese and biscuits to arrive . It is no wonder that very few of the 7.00pm diners were finished by the time the 8.30pm and 9.00pm bookings arrived with the inevtable raised voices and arguments eminating from justifiably irate would be diners . A shocker of an evening service .

So in summary , you pays-your-money-and-takes-your-choice . I will certainly return to Turnberry to play the golf course in more clemment summer conditions but my wife will insist on a return visit or two to Gleneagles before that happens .

7 Thank vincebro
celifox, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your personal views and opinions regarding your recent visit to Turnberry. We are delighted to see you enjoyed your visit and we thank you for your kind words about the Hotel, staff, breakfast, Afternoon Tea, breathtaking views and legendary golf courses. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any upset caused by the dinner service issues you experienced in our Restaurant; the incident has been fully investigated and addressed to ensure there is no repeat.
We are glad to see you will return to Turnberry and will look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Beautiful hotel, fantastic and challenging golf course. Wonderful clubhouse, spa and location.
Just give the 1906 restaurants dinner service a wide berth. If you want value and casual go to Wilding just round the corner. If you want fine dinning go a little further down the coast (half an hour drive) to Glenapp castle. Which is probably one of the best dinning experiences in Scotland and is everything Turnberrys restaurant should be and a bit more. Otherwise enjoy the golf and hotel facilities.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TG911
We are delighted to see you enjoyed your recent visit to Turnberry, especially our Clubhouse, Spa and the breathtaking views. For spectacular fine dining experiences we would recommend you try our James Miller Room; intimate and contemporary , offering elaborate dishes using the best local ingredients – perfect for up to four people; or our Chef’s Table, which can cater for up to ten people - where you would enjoy a culinary journey within the open kitchen while the chef creates a bespoke menu tailored to your preferences. Our Reservations team would be more than happy to discuss these options with you to ensure your next Turnberry visit exceeds your expectations.
San Francisco
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Summary:
Amazing experience at probably the best hotel that I've ever stayed at, which is saying something since I've visited over 30 countries and 34/50 US states. Granted i was upgraded to a suite, which only added to my positive experience. The service was embarrassingly good and the decor, particularly in the Grand Tea Room, demanded nothing less than a few hours of complete relaxation and indulgent newspaper reading! I have nothing but praise for the staff. The spa was also very good including Michael's circuit training.

Getting There:
Situated on the Ayrshire coast, it is an hour outside of Glasgow. Not wishing to drive, I took the Stranraer Train from Glasgow to Girvan ($16 one way) and a taxi ($15) from the station to Turnberry. There is also a local bus that will take you from Girvan Train Station to just outside the hotel.

Activities:
I visited 22-24th November in the middle of the Scottish winter. The first day was cold but clear and I took a brisk walk around the golf course onto the beach. Rain over the next 2 days meant that I stayed on property where I enjoyed a day at the spa (including afternoon tea), worked out at the gym including participating in Michael's circuit training and generally forced myself to slow down. I've never read so many newspapers but it was such a luxury that I was very content.

Food:
The food was very good. The first night I enjoyed the cullen skink soup and mussels at the Ailsa Craig Bar where Pancos took good care of me. I loved the iPads on the bar which contained the available wine collection. Very novel. Afternoon tea at the Grand Tea Room is a must (very quaint). The following night I did room service and ordered the fillet mignon. Again, the service was excellent (particularly Robert Crawford). Finally, I had breakfast in the main restaurant; my own complaint was that it was a little pricy ($40) with no option but to have the buffet.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
celifox, On behalf of the Magagement Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Thank you for sharing your wonderful account of your recent Turnberry visit. We are delighted to see you were enchanted by each and every facet of Turnberry’s rich offerings. We would love you to return and explore more of the wonderful adventures on offer. Please visit our web-site, or call and speak to one of our Reservation Agents, who will be delighted to help you plan another amazing experience.
Paris
Reviewed November 28, 2011

As I said last time the hotel is lovely. Great setting, all updated very well. The food is the big problem again. I can't understand how they can get away with getting this so consistently wrong. I booked for 8.30 and arrived on time to be told that our table wasn't ready and we were waiting behind 4 other parties. The last time I ate in the restaurant the service varied between dead slow and stop, I guess the 7.00pm bookings had been treated to the usual slow service. We were asked to sit in the lounge by the restaurant manager who promised us he would bring us a menu and our table would be ready in 5 minutes. Neither happened. People came and went and no menu and no table. Eventually a table came free in the bar and we had £82.00 worth of bar snacks. To top it off the Arran Ale pies we got were burned to the bottom of the dish, over salted and generally awful. The management appears to have some vague concept of service but they have no follow through. The operations director wanted to welcome me as a preferred guest but was too busy and the duty manager wanted to see me at check out but was too busy also. I looked over to see the manger having a laugh with a couple of members of staff. No doubt the manager will put on a response saying they welcome the feedback blah blah blah. It's a systematic problem in the hotel and they need a full rethink of the catering. No doubt the golfers will continue to rave about this place, it's undeniably a great spot for it, and the hotel will go on overcharging them for awful food and service. Be warned though if you are just going for the hotel itself, save your money as there are much better places in Ayrshire for a fraction of the price. I certainly won't be going back.

Room Tip: They absolutely will not upgrade you if you don't kick up a fuss. As a platinum SPG member I ha...
1 Thank SDParis
celifox, On behalf of the Management Team at Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Thank you for your comments regarding your visit on the weekend of 26th November. The Hotel was fully occupied which did not allow us to offer complimentary upgrades to any of our visiting valued Gold or Platinum Starwood Preferred Guests. We apologise that our restaurant did experience operational difficulties on this evening, and wish to assure you this has been investigated and lessons have been learned to ensure situations such as this will not occur in the future. Our General Manager has also responded to you personally and hopes we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Turnberry soon.
ayrshire
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Like the previous poster we stayed here on 26th Nov and had dinner booked for 8-30, but like many others we we were told no table available, We didn't get seated til almost 10 o'clock and had we known we would have had to wait for an hour and a half we may have gone elsewhere.
However, that aside the hotel is beautiful, rooms spacious and clean and staff very helpful. The food was lovely but after the wait I was more ready for a fish supper than fine dining!
It wouldnt put me off going back, these things happen, but could have been managed much better.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for your comments and apologise for any upset or inconvenience caused by the operational difficulties which affected your 1906 Experience on the night of 26th November. A full investigation has been carried out to ensure we learn from this and action has been taken to ensure this will not occur in the future.
Thank you also for your kind comments about the hotel, rooms, staff and food; we hope we can look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Belfast,Northern Ireland
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is the second time I have stayed in Turnberry on business in a few months and it was a fantastic experience. Although this time I arrived quite late, I was still able to have dinner in the bar which was excellent in every respect and quite good value for money too considering it is a 5 star, but wine can be pricey although there is a fantastic selection. Room was at the back to the hotel and was more of a junior suite with a massive bathroom and all the usual refinements including a super comfy bed, so shame I didn't have more time to enjoy it! In the room folder it said that breakfast started from 6am, so I got down to the restaurant about 6:30, but they were still getting set up as appartently it actually started at 7. However staff were very helpful and accommodating and got me sorted quickly and without fuss, there was fabulous choice and also the hot items are cooked fresh to order and were exceptionally tasty and a great start to the day. Staff throughout the hotel were very friendly, helpful and professional and really made me feel at home. Only minor negative was lack of free wi-fi, but it always seems to be the case that wherever you are, the more you pay for a room, the less likely you are to get this!

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the front of the hotel with a sea view if you can as the views are beautiful...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
We are delighted to hear how much you have enjoyed your Turnberry visits and will pass on your kind comments to our staff. We would suggest you should consider returning to spend some leisure time here in order that you may experience the full grandeur of a Turnberry experience; taking the time to soak up the sumptuous atmosphere and discover the myriad of different activities waiting to be explored. Please visit our website for further information and offers.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Many reviewers note this property as a five-star resort, but I would tend to disagree with this rating, as there were quite a few small things that from my perspective would take away from the 5-stars.

Pro's:
The hotel is beautiful, it's old, historic, and really lovely.
Views of the sea, golf courses, and surrounding areas are also really pretty.
Staff is terrific, seemed helpful at all times.
Rooms (at least the sea-view, deluxe) are really nice

Con's:
During our stay we had problems with wind & water leaking through windows - the weather was terrible, and with the sea-side location and age of the building, this wasn't a surprise, but from my perspective, 5-star hotels don't have water leaking through windows.
The hotel also seemed deserted sometimes; for example, on Friday night we went down to the "Dual in the Sun" bar, but there wasn't anyone (even a bartender?) in there?
Hotel is very expensive - for example, breakfast if not included in your room rate, is 24 pounds per person, which seemed a bit much?
Small things - dust, cobwebs, peeling paint in the pool area, front lights (at entrance) are not lit, nor were any of the lights on the road up to the entrance?

Perhaps part of our problem was that we were there during an off-peak time, but I just felt the 5 stars weren't justified?

All that said, it's still a very gorgeous property, and I would highly recommend if visiting the area.

Room Tip: As others have said, go for sea-view, with breakfast included! If it's windy, ask for an interi...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to send in your thoughts and opinions of your recent visit to Turnberry. Thank you also for your kind comments about the Hotel and staff. We apologise that during extreme weather and because the Hotel is over one hundred years old there may be occasional unforeseen issues with wind and water ingress around some of the more exposed areas. We assure you this is dealt with as quickly as possible and included in the ongoing maintenance project, ensuring we achieve the balance of keeping the legendary Turnberry building weather-proofed while maintaining her wonderful historic façade. We hope we will be able to welcome you back to Turnberry in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turnberry
Glenapp Castle
Western House Hotel
Mercure Ayr Hotel
Mercure Ayr Hotel
#15 of 17 in Ayr

Been to Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland? Share your experiences!