“Good and Bad, because it could be very good.”
Review of Southfield Hotel

Southfield Hotel
Southfield Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Girvan
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Spent a night at the Southfield and was disappointed with the cleanliness of the bedroom. The room was an average size, the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was spotless, and the full Scottish Breakfast was the best I've had in a long time. The staff were very helpful, but the room had not been cleaned properly in weeks.
If only time had been spent cleaning the room and the stairs, it would have been a good stay.
Hope this review makes the owners think about the cleanliness side of the business.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnREdinburgh

Reviewed February 27, 2013

A pleasant enough experience. It seems to get more and more difficult to find anywhere in Girvan at short notice. After trying a few which were fully booked I ended up at the Southfield. Pleasant room, good price, very good breakfast and pleasant, helpful staff.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank AlMac92
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Have just spent two nights, with a friend, staying at the Southfield Hotel, whilst visiting other friends in Girvan. We were well looked after and the reception stayed open for us, as we had explained on booking that we would be arrivng after 7.00pm. The two rooms we were allocated were clean, comfortable and well supplied with tea, coffee, hot chocolate, milk and biscuits, with replacements just outside the bedroom doors, on the landing. The breakfast was superb with plenty of choices for a 'full English' or individual items cooked to order and the chef/waiter was friendly, chatty and very helpful. This is a no frills hotel, but if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep with a breakfast that can keep you going until tea time, then this is the place to choose.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Julie L
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed here as a good base for the seniors golf open at Turnberry but thats where it ends.This was the the third time I had contacted this hotel to confirm my booking as there were no confirmation by e.mail.On our arrival we were met by nobody and had to phone the owner to let her know we were here.After standing alone in the "reception area"for around ten minutes,we were met by the owner who asked what I was quoted for my overnight stay??? we immediately agreed a price and was promptly given the key for our room on the third floor which we were left to our own devices to find and that the restaurant was also closed for dinner.After leaving our bags in our "room"we decided to go down to the bar for an afternoon drink as this was our wedding anniversay ,to find the bar was closed and it remained closed for the duration of our stay.I could go on but this is not a good advert for Scottish tourism or hospitality and really wonder what visitors from overseas would think.The overall experience in this hotel was very disapointing and would certainly not visit here again.

Room Tip: ask the owner to see the room before she disappears
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank agnesjohn
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Stayed here for the recent folk festival. Close to the town and good links with a local restaurant offering some lovely food. This is not the place to go if you want 24/7 attention but for somewhere clean and comfortable without frills this is the place to go.

Room Tip: if you want extra bed etc ask early on busy weekends. Sandra will sort you out
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Over the last year I have stayed on 3 occasions at this hotel and always intend to stay here when I visit relatives in Girvan. I stayed here with my husband and twelve year old son for two nights 11th- 13th April and as always the rooms were spotless and extremely comfortable. There is a very good supply of tea, coffee, and hot chocolate in the rooms and my son loves the biscuits and mint imperials ! The landlady Sandra is not always available when I telephone but if I leave a message she always rings me back promptly. The lady who makes breakfast is a superb cook and there are always generous helpings of cereal, juice, drinks and a gigantic delicious full cooked Scottish breakfast. I don't like porridge but my husband had porridge and said it was delicious. The hotel is in a quiet area and we always sleep soundly - the beds are very comfortable. I look forward to my next stay!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I have stayed at the Southfield Hotel on and off for the past two months, my room was clean warm and the bed was comfortable, the cheerie staff were more than happy to help in any way, and the breakfast was to die for, if you like a hearty meal first thing.I would be very happy to recomend this Hotel to anyone. When I go back to Girvan later this I will staying at the Southfield if they are not fully booked.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank wynford r
Also consider these accommodations in or near Girvan
2 mi away
#2 of 2 in Turnberry
The Marine Hotel
The Marine Hotel
#5 of 6 in Troon

Been to Southfield Hotel? Share your experiences!