“Lovely home cooked food”
Review of Dowhill

Dowhill
Ranked #3 of 23 Restaurants in Girvan
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Dowhill was opened in 2001 as a farm diversification destination. The family run business includes; A farm shop which is stocked full of home grown vegetables & locally sourced goods, A farmhouse Restaurant which features daily specials and hearty home cooked meals. The business has undergone a major refurbishment in 2017 bringing it's unrivalled views to the fore and introducing a new range of gift ware and clothing into the farm shop.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely home cooked food”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Found this accidentally whist on holiday. Serves lovely home cooked food - would recommend the "soup and a sandwich" combo. Would definitely visit again.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Kathryn W
33JayC, Owner at Dowhill, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves on using the best of local ingredients, which in many cases are not always the cheapest. I'm glad that you were pleased with what you had and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future, All the very best, Jay Crawford

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Lovely place for a quick meal”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We found this delightful place a couple of years ago while looking for somewhere for a quick lunch after coming over to Scotland from Belfast. The restaurant is on the road out of Girvan towards Glasgow and has a beautiful view across the bay to Ailsa Craig.
We visited on May 1st and again on May 5th, once for a quick lunch which was delicious and later for a cup of tea while returning to the ferry. Food is freshly prepared in the kitchen and brought to the table promptly, which is ideal for the traveller with little time to spare.
I highly recommend this place.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank John A
33JayC, Owner at Dowhill, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
From all of us at Dowhill, thank you very much indeed for your kind words. As a small family run business it means such a great deal to get this kind of feed back. I will be sure to pass on your review to all the staff who were working on both day's you stopped in, Once again thank you very much, Jay Crawford.
strathclyde
“GOOD HOME COOKING”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I have called in here several times but always forgot to write a review so best remedy that. We called in late afternoon for coffee and cake there was a great selection on offer. We both had the lemon sponge and it was deliciously moist and very tasty. Together with a pot of tea and a coffee the bill for the two of us came to a very reasonable £6.40. On past occasions we have the soup and toastie option or a pannini and they have been excellent. You can have anything from a snack to a full meal and a lot of the ingredients are sourced on the farm.
It is also possible to buy ready prepared meals, soup and puddings e.g. apple or rhubarb sponge from the adjoining shop. The also have meat and veg. from the farm for sale. I can recommend the Ayrshire potatoes when they come into season - they are delicious.
There is also a small gift shop.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank thetwowanderers
33JayC, Owner at Dowhill, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you very much indeed for your kind words. We try very hard to keep our prices down and I'm glad that you have highlighted that in your review. As you say our mainstay is our Early Ayrshire
tatties and I can tell you that this year has been a great season for them. Once again thanks for your review and I will make sure that our home bakers are shown it, all the best, Jay Crawford.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Dowhill Country Fayre”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Great position and placement on road from Turnberry to Girvan. The service staff were prompt and attentive. The menu is fairly straightforward; baked potatoes, toasties, paninis, soup, combos etc. The cheese toastie had virtually no cheese on it; presumably it evaporated. It was served with a small salad with a few chips on the side. Not great value at £6.95. A previous visit had similarly found the lasagne underwhelming. It's really disappointing as the farm shop is great, with reasonably-priced steak pies. There's also a couple of interesting nik-nak shops there too.

For the next visit I think we'll give the food a miss; a coffee at best I think with a scone, but certainly nothing else. However, we'll certainly re-visit the farm shop.

May, Glasgow

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank MayMcCr
33JayC, Owner at Dowhill, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
As the owner of the business I take any feedback very seriously indeed. It goes without saying that I'm obviously disappointed with your review. With that in mind would you please reply to me at the following email address; jay@dowhillfarm.co.uk. Could you let me know what day and the time that you visited so I can conduct a full investigation into your experience. On a positive note I'm very pleased with your other comments about the business. I would be very grateful if you stuck with us and gave us the chance to rectify any issues you've had with our food. In the mean time in look forward to hearing from you, Jay Crawford.
“Lovely lunch, amazing pavlova!”
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I brought my parents for lunch the other week, the chicken and rice soup was lovely, piping hot and tasty, I had lovely sandwiches then the most amazing pavlova I have ever tasted and the slice was huge! They latte I had was steaming hot and tasty. My dad had the mince and tatties, he was impressed to get this in a restaurant and said it was lovely. my parents visit me from Edinburgh and we always go out for lunch, I have taken them to places in and around Ayr, but this is the only place they have wanted to back to, the food was amazing, good service and very reasonable.

The gift shop and farm shop were brilliant, we got some lovely things and I have been enjoying the tomato chutney I got, will be back soon!

Visited March 2014
33JayC, Owner at Dowhill, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
From all of us at Dowhill thank you very much indeed for your tremendous review. As the owner of the business nothing gives me more pleasure than printing a good review off and showing it to our staff. It gives them such a lift. My wife works very hard at creating a varied menu and the fact that your father enjoyed the mince and tatties is great we are at the end of the day a working farm and we like to reflect that in our dishes. We have a great team of home bakers and their sweets are always being commended. Once again thanks very much indeed for review, Jay Crawford.