“Location, service and comfort”
Review of Woodland Bay Hotel

Woodland Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Girvan
Brisbane, Australia
“Location, service and comfort”
Reviewed June 8, 2010

We came upon Woodland Bay after leaving Girvan, Ayrshire, Scotland and couldn't believe it's location....right across the main road from the stony beach with fantastic views everywhere. The reception we received from the owner, Michael, was warm and enthusiastic. He showed us some of the rooms which were very well appointed with all the amenities you desire. After settling in, a visit to the Farm Shop is a must. Local produce as well as meats, cheeses, jams, cookies and lots of knick-knacks to buy. A look around will show the horse stables for visitors, the trout pond that you can fish in, the animals and the flood-lit equestrian arena. The staff are always willing to talk about the farm and what the area offers. For those who like a walk, you can go up the hills behind the hotel and marvel at the fantastic views. Remember to look at the monument. The stony beach offers some great places to view stone outcrops not seen anywhere else in the world. The breakfast is served in the Farm Shop restaurant and is good. Morning & afternoon teas are also available during the day.
The one drawback to the Woodland Bay Hotel is that there are no evening meals available, and no bar. The closest place for dinner is the small town of Girvan which hasn't many options. The Chinese is good.
All in all, Woodland Bay is an excellent place to stay. If you are a golfer, then the packages they have are good value.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Upstate NY
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I had made reservations back in January for 2 rooms at Woodland Bay for a one night stay in May. I chose Woodland Bay because of the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. Reservations were confirmed and I believed we were all set. I again confirmed the reservations (from home, via email) about 14 days before our arrival and received an email in return stating that all was well and they would be looking forward to seeing us. They did mention that their restaurant would not be serving dinner this season and provided us with a list of places that they recommended for dinner.

Our trip began in Edinburgh, and although I don't travel with a laptop, I did have a chance to check my email at the Radisson Blu where we were staying. It's a very good thing I did because I received an email from Woodland Bay saying that they were sorry but they would not be able to accomodate us after all! Their stated reson was "a problem with some of the rooms". They went on to say that they had made reservations for us at Wildings, located not too far away and the cost would be the same.

We were very disappointed that we would not get the opportunity to stay at Woodland Bay after reading such nice reviews. We were concerned about going to a place that we had not had the opportunity to "check out" beforehand. I was VERY glad that I had checked my email - otherwise we would have driven to the hotel only to find out that they wouldn't be accomodating us that night.

This does have a happy ending because we had a wonderful experience at Wildings - I can recommend it highly. The desk person at Wildings said that they frequently get calls from Woodland Bay seeing if they can take some of their booked guests. It would appear that Woodland Bay may frequently overbook and this is a common occurance - so a word to the wise if you're hoping to stay at Woodland Bay - you need to check, double check and check again to see if you actually do have a room! It is commendable that they didn't just leave us to sort this out on our own - and I'm truly thankful that we wound up at Wildings.

If I could have left a "no rating" I would have, but I guess that's not an option. I couldn't, in good conscience, give them an average or better rating because of what happened - but at least they didn't leave us out in the cold!!

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank PK12033
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2010

A lovely place, with a super shop, livery stables and farm animals, and temping walks. Just a pity one has to go elsewhere for an evening meal or a drink.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Lanarkshire
Reviewed May 3, 2010

A wonderful place. So friendly, & nothing is any trouble. Each and everyone somehow manage to have you feeling like you just fit in. I was there with my Mum, my sister & her daughter, & my collie Max, we all so enjoyed the couple of days we spent there; including Max. With the beach just a short walk, well accross the road, it was just perfect for all. The rooms; well, I wish I could've taken mine home with me!! As for the breakfast.....to die for, truly! The shop has everything from fresh veg to gifts for all ages, you will always find that "just right" purchase! I discovered an artist, Alexandra Clark; whose work I now intend to collect! I will certainly be back.

• Stayed May 2010
Edinburgh
Reviewed April 17, 2010

What a fabulous place! They welcomed 7 weary walkers with friendliness and good humour, upgraded us to sea view rooms and then showed us to quite the best rooms we have stayed in for a very long time. Every room was beautifully decorated and equipped and such a lot of careful and imaginative thought had obviously gone into the planning of them, for we wanted for nothing. The breakfast was out of this world, with everything from scrambled egg with smoked salmon to as many different kinds of tea (including fruit and herbal) as I have ever been offered anywhere. They booked taxis, organised an evening meal in a nearby restaurant and had our luggage conveyed to our next stopping off point. 100% all round for a faultless performance which started from the moment we picked up the phone to seek a reservation.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
England
Reviewed February 28, 2010

A surprise gift from our son,we were delighted with our warm greeting and super room.We were in the Bay Room which as well as having a lovely view was light,roomy,warm and spotlessly clean.A pleasant restaurant with good food and friendly,helpful,interested staff added to our enjoyment.Gillian and Michael were always about with a wealth of local knowledge and advice on things to see and do. Also the livery facilities looked very good,if I still had a horse I would love to take him on holiday here.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We were pleasantly surprised when we decided to stay at this hotel. Newly opened, the room was pristine and modern, we loved the unique layout and fantastic view! The attached farmstore was charming and the restaurant was great. The family that run this hotel are very helpful, friendly and accomodating! We would recommend Woodlands to anyone.

Darrell and Colleen
Toronto, Canada

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Girvan
Southfield Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
#1 of 17 in Ayr
Fairfield House Hotel

Been to Woodland Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!