“A beautiful hotel with excellent rooms for any occasion”
Review of Woodland Bay Hotel

Woodland Bay Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Girvan
Ayr, United Kingdom
“A beautiful hotel with excellent rooms for any occasion”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Firstly let me make quite clear I have not stayed at this hotel, but many of my close friends and family have and it has always come up trumps and I sometimes get the feeling that they now come to visit just for the hotel experience. A family member recently moved a proposed visiting date just because a room was not available on the proposed date. All our guests have reported warm welcome, very clean and spacious rooms, pleasant surroundings and an all round good experience. We know we can recommend or book this hotel with complete confidence and the restaurant is a must to round off a very pleasant break

Room Tip: Although a small family run hotel it does have a variety of types of rooms, examine the details thor...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chris_Barnes2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We booked rooms here enroute to the ferry and were very pleasantly surprised when we arrived to see how large and (more importantly) clean our rooms were. The Woodland Bay is just over the road from the beach where we walked the dogs and the location is perfect for this.

There was a function on the night we were there and we'd been asked if we wanted the menu they were having, at a reduced rate, or would we prefer the restaurant menu. We decided to go for the set menu option, which was a very reasonable price, but unfortunately regretted our decision and wished we'd stuck to the "regular" menu. Sadly the prawn cocktail had little taste and the main was doused with very salty gravy, stone cold Yorkshire puddings overwhelmed our plates and I'm afraid the veg seemed to have been sitting for ages and it was all pretty limp.

The breakfast however was absolutely outstanding and the very pleasant waitress told us the sausage & bacon was from their own pigs. Going on the breakfast we know the kitchen can perform and I guess they were just extremely busy the night we were in. I believe the function group arrived for dinner later than expected which wouldn't have helped things and this is probably why our dinner was a bit of a disaster.

The staff are all very pleasant here and nothing was too much trouble. We would not hesitate in staying here again, and have already recommended it to others who we know will be going for the ferry soon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank IrishEyesSmile
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I stayed here for a hen party and had a fantastic time. The staff were attentive and helpful. The rooms were spacious and clean, however a little too warm in the morning. The food was tasty (lunch, dinner and breakfast). Excellent situation for large parties to take over the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

It's a shame that the economic climate has had a profound effect on what was once a diamond in the sand ! I have faith they will bounce back...! I do hope so :( ....... I shall return again, as i did like the food, but the prices are a bit too high for what was on offer. Although i feel i will have to save up for my next visit !!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Cheekywummin
Tetbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Good location right next to the ocean. I normally stay in Premier Inns when on business but the room and shower here were a definite step up. Very nice and very comfortable.

The WIFI, I have to say, was intermittent so had to rely on my 3G connection.

The food in the evening was brilliant - great service, really nicely cooked. Owner was very friendly and helpful.

But I said there is a "BUT"..... The owner is tolerating people drinking in his bar that are not concerned about the language they are using. Others have mentioned this. Now I can eff and blind with the best of them when I'm with my mates and although it did not bother me unduly, I was surprised that the owner would allow it? To be honest, if you're spending £30+ on very nice food, even I would prefer not to hear it, and it is definitely not appropriate if women and children are within earshot - and they would be.

So come on owner - that's a simple one to resolve. Tell your mates to watch their language or go to the beer house down the road ?

But I'd still give it 4/5 based in the great room, fantastic dinner and the best breakfast in Scotland !

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank RichCotswoldChap
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Although a 2 mile walk or short taxi from Girvan town centre it is in a lovely setting with good service and a hearty breakfast. Clean and tidy comfortable rooms with tea/coffee facilities and fresh towels.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrMarkBennettcom
glasgow
Reviewed April 15, 2014

My partner and i went on a whim and how surprised we were!
Lovely facilities, great location, charming beach, really friendly staff, fantastic bar offering and SUPERB food (seriously...hats off to the chef)
You will not regret it...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mimi r
Also consider these accommodations in or near Girvan
Southfield Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
#1 of 17 in Ayr
Fairfield House Hotel

Been to Woodland Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!