Having decided upon a Scottish castle as a surprise to celebrate my wife’s ‘special’ birthday, I researched many and Glenapp topped the list. So I arrived with high expectations – which were met in every single way. The whole experience was wonderful, for all the reasons listed by other reviewers, and my wife loved it.
The owners obviously had a vision of what they wanted to create when they bought the run down castle - in the fabric of the building and the whole experience. This is lived by every member of staff, even in their absence. It’s plush but not at all stuffy.
We had the joy of being the only people staying on our 1st night (a Monday in March) and the staff got it just right. It also meant we were able to have a tour of all the bedrooms – they vary a lot in size, style, views, etc so choose wisely and I would recommend going for the best you can afford. Also make sure you explore the grounds and the walk beside the stream that runs alongside - beautiful.
The one small fault was the cream tea (scones poor), so if you have afternoon tea go for the homemade biscuits instead.
Relax and enjoy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautiful Scots Baronial castle set in 36 acres of stunning gardens and woodland overlooking the Ayrshire coastline and out to Ailsa Craig, the Isle of Arran and Mull of Kintyre. The castle is Scotland's highest rated Country House Hotel with 5 AA Red Stars and 4 AA Rosettes, 5 VisitScotland Gold Stars, EatScotland Gold Award and a Michelin Star. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and TripOnline SA so you can book your Glenapp Castle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Glenapp Castle Ballantrae, Scotland
- Glenapp Castle Hotel Ballantrae