“Clumsy reception, but terrific stay and food”
Review of Glenapp Castle

Glenapp Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballantrae
Reviewed July 25, 2013

When we arrived, the reception was somewhat clumsy. Partly our own cause, because we followed a supplier entering the grounds, arriving unexpected for the staff. Improvisation was not easy for them at that moment. We were showed to our rooms and there was a brief explanation about things to do, high tea and diner, but in a way that didn't make us feel very comfortable and welcome. Ordering tea in the garden was an other thing that made the staff pretty nervous. But finally it al came right. We had a wonderfull tea in the garden, went to the Pebbles Spa later that afternoon and they arranged us a horse ride the next day. It cost them a lot of effort, but they didn't give up. Super. And diner was supurb! Some very fine courses, personalized to our own wishes, including these of our teenage doughters. All in a very relaxed though stilish atmosphere, brought us a very noce evening. Of course the rooms were great. I would certainly recommend the family room on the ground floor to any family. It's huge and terrific. It all costs a bit, but it's all worth it.

Room Tip: For a family of four the ground floor family room is terrific
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed here for a 3 night break in early July and had the castle almost to ourselves. Even amongst other Relais and Chateaux properties this one stands out. As soon as you drive through the gates you enter a truly special place. The service we received throughout was faultless. Every member of staff made you feel as if they were there just for you. We stayed in the Earl of Orkney suite which is enormous. It has marvelous views through huge windows on 3 sides, 2 really comfortable sitting areas, a giant bed to sink into and its own private turret door to the gardens. This suite reminded me of ones you view in stately homes, when you are penned behind the ropes looking in at a life others live/d - here we were, the other side of the ropes. it felt like we were royalty! Room service tea arrived every morning at exactly the time requested. Breakfast in one of the two dining rooms, both with lovely views of the grounds, was excellent. By the time we had finished breakfast our room had been serviced and prepared for the day; the same happened each evening. It is easy to spend a lot of time wandering through the extensive grounds, so peaceful. Pre-dinner drinks/ canapes can be enjoyed in the lounge before a first class evening meal. Good choice of wines. I just wish this hotel was nearer to where I live because then I could retreat here for a few days at regular intervals. I will stay here whenever I get the opportunity!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights prior to going to Glasgow. We were in the Ailsa Craig Room.

This is proper 5 star treatment. Yes it's expensive BUT the food is fantastic; the wine list is pretty good; the service is first class (for example we were met after a long walk in the rain by staff ready to take muddy boots and wet coats away to dry them and to give us hot drinks etc).

Sometimes places are expensive and they don't really do much but this place really delivers.

If I can afford it then I will go back one day.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bowth
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This was my first visit to the hotel and hopefully not my last. I've been aware of the hotels reputation for fine dining for a while so was eager to try it out. In one word amazing. The combination of fine ingredients, superb cooking in a charming environment was in abundance. With speaking with the staff who informed me the chef has only been there since the beginning of the year was hard to believe, the confidence and maturity in the dishes was a pure delight to experience.

The grounds and hotel are beautiful and it's clear the owners passion for it shows throughout. The staff also make you feel so welcome a true home from home experience

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had two nights at Glenapp on the recommendation of a friend . Very attractive setting and nice large rooms .
We had dinner in the Michelin star restaurant ( no prices on Menu for dinner ) . Dinner was pleasant but certainly not outstanding. Staff helpful ,breakfast pleasant .
Everything was extra.Free overnight shoe cleaning that did not happen,Tea delivered to the rooms extra charge , After dinner drinks twice the price of the Hotel Du Vin in Glasgow.
We had a French waiter straight out of Tv comedy show which was most amusing
A lot of show but no substance .
Disappointing to say the least

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Louise R
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We've been going to Glenapp Castle for 7 years. We've stayed as a
couple, as part of a large group and we stay regularly as a family.
Our experience is always the same. Faultless.

I'm not going to write a long review here because it doesn't need it.
In fact, this is the first review I've ever written for
anywhere.....and I'm pretty well travelled.

Glenapp Castle is a magical escapism. The accommodation is classic and
spotless. The service and attention to detail is beyond exceptional.
The food is outstanding. Over the years, I have never become bored
with staying here. Every visit is different. Each meal is incredible.
Each stay becomes more special than the last.

Individual needs are catered for. This is truly an individual 5 star
retreat. I use the word retreat. It's another world as soon as you
disappear behind the gates. It's not a "resort". If you want a flashy
big resort style 5 star hotel....this isn't for you. This is 5 star indulgence for
those who prefer quality over quantity.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Lynne P
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I arranged a night here for my husband's 40th Birthday and I cannot rate this whole experience highly enough. I am a fussy traveller and expect high standards so for Glenapp to impress is no small undertaking! Everything was perfect from the moment we arrived. The entrance is signposted but very minimal so as to keep a private, secluded feel. The drive to the castle is impressive and you are spoilt from the moment you step out of your car. We were shown to our suite with a private turret for entrance/exit. The bathroom was an incredible size with a claw foot bath (a personal favourite) and the most luxurious Penhaligon toiletries. We had a birthday cake delivered to the suite and the 2 members of staff sang happy birthday to my husband!
We went down to dinner at the time arranged and found a birthday card from Mr and Mrs Cowan (owners of this beautiful retreat) on our table. The food was out of this world; tied with the staff's knowledge of food and wine it was a pure delight! The chef even piped a happy 40th message on my husband's plate.
Every little touch made this break wonderful. The staff are amazing, housekeeping are incredibly fast at tidying up, closing the numerous curtains etc. This is well worth every penny and we will most definitely be returning at some point! Many thanks to all involved in making our break so special!

Room Tip: The Earl of Inchcape suite is a must as it has panoramic views of the magnificent gardens.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballantrae
Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel
The Portpatrick Hotel
The Portpatrick Hotel
#4 of 5 in Portpatrick
Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland

Been to Glenapp Castle? Share your experiences!