“very warm welcome”
Review of Kings Arms Hotel

Kings Arms Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ballantrae
Kings Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Ballantrae B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We ended up staying in the King's Arms because of our journey being disrupted by a snowstorm which stranded us overnight in Ballantrae. Managed to get a room and a decent meal here, and we were amazed at the warmth of the welcome, although due to vast numbers of people coming and going the staff were rushed off their feet.

The roads opened again the next day, but rather than continue our journey we stayed a secongd night, which was warmer and more comfortable than the first.

Could do withy a bit of sprucing up, but the warmth of the welcome and the quality of the service more than compensated.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Multicoloursocks

Reviewed May 14, 2013

we always stop here on our way through to portpatrick - it serves good standard pub food and we love the enormous portions. we have always found the staff friendly and welcoming and will be back soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rosebud23573
Reviewed April 14, 2013

When you want to eat here they let you wait in the bar area the idea being so you can play pool/socialise rather than sitting in a wee square room looking at each other. This is a good idea although when me and my mum were here there were a group of excessively noisy, swearing and just playing rude older teenagers playing pool and when they finished prancing about the pool table they were sat down making fun of people me included and bursting out singing really loudly. One of the guys in the group was definitely on something (not alcohol) they should have been kicked out but the staff did NOTHING ! Although the restaurant was a better atmosphere at the table in the middle of the room there was about 10 to 15 VERY Noisy back stabbing women sat who should have been told to quieten down a wee bit and there was an old couple behind us where the women could not stop laughing at something that her husband had told her now I don't mind any of what I have just mentioned regarding the restaurant but a lot off self control this been BASIC manners would have been appreciated, some people just shouldn't go out at all. The service was terrible its a severe under staffing issue whilst Scotmid the local shop next door you can't get moving for the amount of staff in there so its a bit mixed up half of them should get a job in The Kings Arms. I have just been informed by my mum that the ignorant people that were in the bar area are NOT customers they are family members the people that run the hotel. This absolutely digusts me.

Anyway thats enough about the negatives now onto the positives. The Guinness is very good indeed I'm assuming its because its fresh of the boat from Ireland, Tennents is good and the wine is NOT watered down. The soup is very good, Fillet Steaks are very good amongst all the vegetables, chips and sauce. We didn't order dessert because it would have been another half hour wait. Compliments go to the chef but especially to the one man band that is the busy barman/waiter who despite running from one room to the other he always managed to smile, was polite, helpful and he always made sure the customers were happy with their food and drink. I don't know the guys name but he was early twenties, tall with black hair.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MarkO826
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was very worried about my stay at the Kings Arms Hotel when I read the terrible review but when I got there its was nothing like it. I found this hotel very comfortable the staff were very friendly welcoming to me and my husband. The food was great and we definitely didn't find ourselves walking away hungry the portions were huge and reasonably priced. We booked a room as we were going to Ireland the next day, the room was clean and cosy and we felt like we were at home. I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone as we couldn't of asked a friendly place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Katy S
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Whilst passing through Ballantrea We stopped to have a bite to eat. The weather was freezing, but not as cold as inside, A couple came downstairs and asked if the heating was broke. the reply was,It only comes on twice a day, but it should be on soon. 1 hour later no heating, everyone sat in their coats. A customer was told.Well it is a big building to heat.!!!! when they asked if there was any heating coming on.. The bar maids were so miserable they could have turned Our drink sour, that was until the locals came in, then they were nice to them. The decor was terrible, heaters hanging off the wall, not that they were in use. The food looked terrible and was expensive, We did without. The final staw came when a local woman came in with a baby and started to breast feed, No problems with that but a little discresion would have been appreciated seen as young children were in the bar. It was like a scene from little Britain. My advise ,dont stay or call keep the foot on the gas.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank jeangeorge
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Having been on a boat trip out to Ailsa Craig that afternoon, my wife and I drove down to Ballantrae and checked in at the Kings Arms Hotel. We were a little apprehensive at first as the hotel had only two stars but our fears proved to be unwarranted. Our stay turned out to be most enjoyable and everything about the hotel met with our approval. The owner and staff were very helpful and friendly, the accommodation was most comfortable and clean and the food was good and plentiful. Indeed, we were even charged a lower rate for our room due to there having been a slight misinterpretation on our part of the types of room on offer. We thoroughly reccommend this establishment.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sandy D
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We were looking for a place to stop over on the way to ireland. The Kings arms was perfect for us. Great service, a very friendly and helpful host and good bar food. We had to leave early in the morning so we didn't get to try the breakfast. Rooms are clean and well appointed and the beds are comfortable. Next time when I have longer to explore the area I will stay here

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business