“I'm sorry about this review”

Lochgreen House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Portland, OR
“I'm sorry about this review”
Reviewed July 2, 2009

I try to be complimentary as much as possible to the various properties we stay at, but this one let me down.

We were very excited to be in Troon, as the first town on our Scotland swing of an extended 5 week 50th Anniversary vacation. I also like the reviews that I had read, and the fact that they were #1 rated hotel in Scotland. Wrong!

As everyone else has reported, the place is absolutely lovely. The rooms are gigantic, and the bathrooms even bigger. The bed, however, was a brick. I bounced down on it, and was met by the feeling of being on a plank. The pillow was also hard as a rock. The bathroom, while huge, had no place to hang or put anything, except on the floor. The shower head came loose from it's holder when I turned it on, and sprayed everything in the room.

Dinner was quite good, but again not great for the price (see separate review).

In the morning, while going to breakfast, I asked the front desk attendant for a newspaper (I think this is the lady referred to in others as being the Manager, which she wasn't). I was informed that I should have ordered one at check-in. I told her, no one asked me (she was the one who checked me in). Her reply, "oh dear!". That's it. Still no paper.

I think for $700 US, we could have had much better service, and was disappointed.

Finally, I couldn't get a cell signal for a wireless modem, and couldn't make their wireless work for my laptop, even with help from my IT staff. Another reason not to come back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank grapdad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for one night-- at a friends wedding. Lovely location for a wedding, wedding food was gorgeous! Staff really helpful and firendy ( and worked really hard), including the lovely ladies who baby sat for us. Breakfast good.. but we have had better... the rooms were massive and modern.. but just missed out on 5 star because of some of the finishing touches eg beer mat under roll top bath leg to stop it rocking!! but dont let that put you off we are really fussy!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2009

We held our Wedding reception in Lochgreen House and I cannot speak highly enough of the venue and the staff.

From the moment I arrived to enquire about our wedding to the present date I have never had anything but first class service from this hotel!

My greatest thanks goes to Kari (wedding coordinator) and her team who assisted me through the planning stages of our Wedding and on the day itself. They could not have done more to assist me or make our day more perfect. Everything about the service on the day was of the highest standard and was complimented upon by all of our guests.

The food is amazing, and again when faced with some fussy eaters for our wedding breakfast, no request was too much bother - the service here is outstanding! The grounds of the hotel are spectacular with gorgeous gardens and amazing views, which lent themselves perfectly to our wedding photographs, whilst the interior of the venue itself is absolutely stunning! The rooms are extremely spacious and the bathrooms fantastic - we had both a shower cubicle and bath (which was enormous and was comfortably large enough for two!) We had some evening guests who had booked into nearby hotels who on visiting the hotel during the day decided to change to this hotel!

It's truly a gorgeous hotel with amazing staff... exactly why we're choosing to go back for our First Wedding Anniversary!
If you're looking for five star luxury in Troon - look no further!!

• Liked — Everything - the standard and service is second to none!
  • Disliked — There's not a thing I didn't like
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
bcn
Reviewed January 9, 2009

Stayed here for a wedding before christmas and don't get me wrong this is a beautiful and luxurious hotel, the rooms are amazing etc, no complaints on that side of things. However our stay was slightly marred by the service of the hotel manager. An English lady with all the welcome charm of a cold front coming in off the Irish Sea. She was bordering on rude to most guests and I pity the poor staff who had to work under her. We also had to wait an hour and a half for our room to be ready, and despite sitting in reception with a 3 month old baby in front of this battle axe, she wouldn't prioritise us. Great hotel, friendly staff but a very duff manager.

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — the manager
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank redrazors
ayrshire
Reviewed November 11, 2008

the minute you enter this magnificint hotel you can see the reflection on the price. The staff are polite discrete and helpful. The atmosphere is truely amazing. The rooms are to die for and then you cannot visit without having dinner. What an experience. You have to treat yourself to this. This should be one of the 10 places to go before you die.

• Liked — the whole experience
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2008

One night - September 13th. Beautiful hotel with real Scottish charm, excellent meals, large rooms, gorgeous grounds although we didn't see much of outside as it was raining :-)

Lovely gift shop, friendly staff.

• Liked — Large rooms, nive views
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Glasgow
Reviewed September 14, 2008

This is a lovely hotel in a great part of the world. The rooms are lovely. The best thing about the rooms is the very large bathrooms, with gorgeous stand alone baths and amazing showers.

This hotel is worth staying in, although there is a little room for improvement to make it trully world class... if the management paid a little bit more attention to detail (like the empty hotel information folder in the room and the very varied levels of helpfulness of the breakfast waitresses).

A nice day trip is to Dundonald Castle, with a quick stop off in the cute village of Symington. Dundonald Castle runs medieval re-enactment days, which are really good fun.

• Liked — The big bathroom
  • Disliked — Unhelpful breakfast waitress
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank westendie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
The Marine Hotel
South Beach Hotel
South Beach Hotel
#5 of 6 in Troon
Fairfield House Hotel

Been to Lochgreen House Hotel? Share your experiences!