“Hogmanay in style”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Hogmanay in style”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Having previously been to this hotel frequently with my Mum, for the last two years I have spent Hogmanay here on my own (Mum is in a care home) and have been made to feel most welcome and cared for by all the staff. From the moment I arrived, when the door was held open as one would for a guest to one's own home, everyone was concerned that I had everything I wanted. For the gala dinner dance, I was seated at a table with people I already knew, as well as with new companions, so that I felt very comfortable and in familiar surroundings. The food was excellent, the waiting staff were efficient and courteous, the music was good and I even managed a dance or two!! My room was as comfortable and luxurious as I have come to expect. I have already booked for Hogmanay 2013.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
CraigHarvie, Operations Manager at Lochgreen House Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you so much Ms Brown for taking the time to write such a kind review. As you know by now your loyal custom to ourselves is one that we value dearly. We are so grateful for the fact you decided to come and join us to celebrate New Year, even though your mum could not come with you it is so lovely to hear you enjoyed yourself regardless.
We can't wait to welcome you back this year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My Mother and I had been treated to this year's Xmas menu at Lochgreen by my brother - the food was superb as was the service. The main restaurant is very pleasant and I was amazed at how big the other bars and restaurants were in the whole hotel. It must be a pleasure to actually stay there! I intend returning in the New Year if only to experience morning coffee or lunch - and the grounds are beautiful.
Carol, London

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
CraigHarvie, Operations Manager at Lochgreen House Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind review. It is pleasing to read you thoroughly enjoyed your lunch with us. I was also pleased to read you intend to return in the near future. I do hope you come and join us for an overnight stay and sample the full Lochgreen experience.
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I had a christmas lunch recently with two friends which we were really looking forward to. It was a wild, wet windy day and when we arrived the roaring fire in reception was very welcome unlike the staff. I can only say that they were a very unhappy looking lot, from the guy that opened the door to us, the one that took our drinks order and the waiter who took our order. The only member of staff that appeared able to smile was the young waitress who served our meal.
Overall the ambience of the place and the food was good, but think the staff need to be trained up a little more in how to smile and be pleasant.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank pammy046
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am glad you enjoyed the ambience of the hotel and our award winning food. However I was very surprised to hear that you found the staff to be a "very unhappy looking lot". Here at Lochgreen we are renowed for our first class service and continously receive excellent reviews in relation to our staff (please refer to other recent Trip Advisor reviews). I hope that this recent experience will not deter you from returning to Lochgreen House Hotel in the near future.
Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Lovely lunch to celebrate an anniversary and a birthday. Superb selection on the menu. Excellent quality and service. Definitely recommend this place and look forward to going again. Love the open fire in reception and the festive decorations.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It was nice to read you enjoyed your double celebration with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Lochgreen House in the near future.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We spent a weekend in Lochgreen House for a family birthday. I mean no hyperbole when I say it was the best stay I've had in a hotel. The warm welcome at reception (who were already expecting us and had everything ready for instant checkin) was continued throughout our stay. The public areas are beautiful - the style would be easy to unintentionally make fussy but the staff have ensured everything is tasteful and very relaxing. The rooms were beautiful - well appointed, clean and comfortable. We had our 4 week old baby with us - still no bother! A cot was provided and there was no difficulty at all with her in the dining room for both dinner and breakfast. I have intentionally left the food till the end - the hotel is famous for its food and for good reason. The menu was fantastic and the food all of the highest standard. Searching for a criticism, all we can think of is the particularly pungeant Scottish cheese (for which we can hardly blame the hotel!). We'd love to return here and spend longer - it must be amazing in the summer as the gardens look very well kept. The staff were all very friendly, the reception staff recalling our names every time I walked past them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
CraigHarvie, Operations Manager at Lochgreen House Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of Lochgreen House.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and would like to thank you for your very kind comments regarding the staff, the accommodation and the food.

I do hope you will return to the hotel in the very near future.
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just returned from our 8th visit to Lochgreen.
From the first class service on booking from the kind lady on reception to the arrival yesterday Saturday 1st December where she again welcomed us and remembered our name throughout the weekend.

As usual,the log fire welcomed us in to our weekend experience staying over with Friends on our 4th Annual Pre Christmas weekend.

This was the first time we had stayed in the old part of the hotel in our Big Luxury bedroom.

After enjoying a lovely lunch in the hotel, a walk in the town before retirning for a luxurious soak before our Dinner.What can we say but it was up to the excellent standard we expect ,a lovely relaxing experience with attentive staff. Finishing off the evening with Coffees in the lounge ( a wee bit colder tha normal) we looked at our watches and wondered where the last four hours had gone.
Breakfast on the Sunday was slightly different than earlier visits & not sure if the new structure of a Buffet Breakfast works, cold plates, bit of a guddle round the food area,and we thoiught slightly spoiled the Ambience of the hotel..........not the usual Costley attenton to detail..................

However we will be back in Spring & Summer again for overnight stays,as well as impromptu lunches & will be booking again for the First Saturday in December next year with our friends which is becoming an annual experience....A truly relaxing weekend, great food, choice of wines & again the kind receptionist remembering our names again on leaving............

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
CraigHarvie, Operations Manager at Lochgreen House Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review. It was very pleasing to read that you found our reception team "first class". Our reception team does a fantastic job and I am glad you appreciated the fact that the receptionist on duty remembered you name upon arrival and throughout your stay with us.
It is encouraging to read you thoroughly enjoyed all your dining experiences during your stay. I take your comments about the coffee on board and can only apologise and also the comments regarding the breakfast buffet.
It will be a pleasure to welcome you back to Lochgreen in the near future.
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed three nights at the Loch Green Hotel in one of their best rooms with balcony etc.
The bath could not be used due to a lack of hot water which I reported at the time to reception.
No action was taken despite reporting this matter again. I was advised on our last evening that the Manager would meet us on the morning of our departure. On checking out I was informed he was busy and would write to me. Received an email five days later informing me the fault was a thermostat and had now been fixed but this was of little consolation to us.
I responded in writing to the Manager Craig Harvie that I thought some adjustment should be made to the cost of our stay. No reply was received and I again wrote to Mr Harvie. This letter was also ignored.
I then wrote to the Managing Director to advise him of our experience. Again this letter was ignored so I sent a follow up by recorded delivery and to my disappointment no reply has been received.
Our friends who recommended this hotel are astonished at the treatment we received and suggested I write to the Chairman. My letter to him was also ignored.
Reception staff were most helpful and the lady who served breakfast was excellent.
We normally use hotels of this quality and cannot recall an experience like this in forty years.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank William F
CraigHarvie, Operations Manager at Lochgreen House Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time Mr Farquharson to write your review and your positive feedback on our reception and breakfast staff.
As explained in my email there was a fault with our hot water system that was outwith our control and subsequently this fault has been repaired.
I note your comments regarding the correspondence that was sent to the hotel for the attention of myself, the Managing Director and the Chairman of the company. I must say that it is highly unusual for us not to respond. Having checked with Head Office I can confirm to you that your letters were not recieved, had they been received they would of been responded to immediately.
I asumed that the matter was dealt with when I emailed you and did not receive a response. Should you wish to discuss the matter please do not hesitate to contact me personally at the hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
The Marine Hotel
South Beach Hotel
South Beach Hotel
#4 of 6 in Troon
Gailes Restaurant and Hotel

Been to Lochgreen House Hotel? Share your experiences!