“Dinner 16/11/2012 Don Nicol”

Lochgreen House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had dinner on the evening of the above date.Lochgreen never .disappoints.The location,ambiance,service and cuisine are of the highest order.Basically AS GOOD AS IT GETS.
Every time we visit whether for dinner/lunch or to stay over the standard always remains the same( Excellent)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donald N
CraigHarvie, Operations Manager at Lochgreen House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a kind review Mr Nicol. I was so pleased to read you enjoyed your meal with us once again. The fact you thought it was "as good as it gets" is reassuring that we are continuing to adhere to the high standards we set ourselves. On behalf of everyone at Lochgreen we thank you so much for your encouraging comments.

It was also a pleasant change to be able to put a name and a face to a review.

We hope to welcome to you back to Lochgreen in the very near future Mr Nicol.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We pushed the boat out for our birthday treat and stayed overnight in a superior room with a balcony. The room was more like a stateroom. It was huge! The furniture and decor were fresh and modern and the view over the beautifully manicured gardens was fabulous. The bed was luxurious and extremely comfortable. The room had a quality TV and audio system wifi etc. and the bathroom was something out of a magazine.
Service was all we could wish for from friendly and efficient staff.
The hotel is the largest of several hotels in the area owned by the Costly family and is in our experience the best of a very high standard and well deserving of its 3AA Rosettes.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind and positive review. It is great to hear you appreciated the spacious bedroom will all it's amenities. I was also glad to read you loved our bathroom and you felt like it was "something out of a magazine". The staff at Lochgreen take great pride in their work and it's encouraging to read that you appreciate all their hard work and dedication that they put in.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We have just spent a wonderful night here and really couldn't fault it. The hotel is set in immaculate grounds and is a very impressive building. On arrival we were immediately struck by just how grand it was, oppulence at its very best. Our room was a good size, I have never seen a bathroom as big as this in all my life, it was huge! Breakfast was delicious and the staff very friendly and helpfull. Dinner was just a dream and the diningroom was stunning with three massive chandeliers twinkling away. Drinks were very pricey, that would have to be the only downside. We were asked at dinner if we would like water to which we replied yes, the waitress brought us a bottle of evian only to discover on checking out that it cost just under £5. We easily could have been given a jug of water but were not given the option. A bottle of wine was £23 as well. However all in all the Lochgreen is a fabulous hotel with lots of character and delicious food. Two very satisfied customers.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
CraigHarvie, Operations Manager at Lochgreen House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind and positive review about our hotel. The gardeners work very hard 365 days a year to make sure you really do get that wow factor the minute you drive up our drive. All the staff take great pride in their work and it's encouraging to read that their hard work is paying off. Thank you for your kind comments about our bedroom. We never tire of hearing how our guests react to our spacious bedrooms and as you put it "huge" bathrooms. I take your comments about the drink prices on board and I am sorry to hear that there was some confussion when you were offered water at the table. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you choose to come and stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend in March 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Our room was fabulous with complimentary bottles of water and fresh fruit. The bathroom was to die for! The hotel was beautifully decorated and if there was a mark or stain anywhere in it I didn't find it! The staff we very curteous and attentive. We also ate in the beautiful reataurant which fully deserves its reputation. Although it was only March the Hotel grounds were in fabulous condition. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review about our hotel. It is pleasing to hear you appreciated our large bedrooms and in paticular the "to die for" bathroom. It was also encouraging to read you enjoyed your meal in our dining room. On behalf of all the staff it will be a pleasure to welcome you back to Lochgreen, in what I hope, will be the near future.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had a great night here lately, the setting is fabulous and the food was top notch. Accommodation was very good but the bar prices were a bit steep. Service was very good and our server was very pleasant . Would recommend

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael O
CraigHarvie, Operations Manager at Lochgreen House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review. It is encouraging to read you enjoyed all aspects of our hotel. We hope to see you at Lochgreen in the near future.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I had a great time at afternoon tea today, the hotel surroundings are great and the food is delightful. But i do find the staff a bit hit and miss. I have been in before and had poor service. Today our tea was cold, the coffee was just hot water and our service was slow. None of the waiting staff were every efficient or willing to apologize for our wait. I love the lochgreen and im leaving this review as it seem the hotel monitor and respond to posts and i would hate for the staff to pull this great place down.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Bryony L
CraigHarvie, Operations Manager at Lochgreen House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for your feedback about your recent experience at Lochgreen. I am glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea. I was saddened to read that you waited a long time before you received it and that you felt that the tea and coffee were not up to the usual standard. We have a great team of staff here at Lochgreen who take great pride in their work, receiving positive comments on a regular basis. The staff play a large part in what makes Lochgreen the hotel that it is and I'm sorry that your expectations were not met on this occasion. I hope this will not deter you from returning to Lochgreen in the future.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed here as a wedding guest. The room was enormous with an equally enormous bathroom with claw foot bath and separate shower cubicle. I had a view of the grounds and Ailsa Craig. There was a great flat screen tv and tea and coffee making facilities. The room is so big it took a while to find the square pin plug for my phone charger and the towelling robe and I never did find a full length mirror, which was a bit of a drawback as a wedding guest.

We were able to check-in early in order to change for the wedding. The welcome was warm and the staff very attentive and made sure that the guests were well looked after during the wedding. You really got the feeling that the staff wanted you there and would do everything possible to make it an enjoyable occasion. The wedding breakfast was excellent, although the food at the following morning's real breakfast could have been warmer. Pre-cooked the self service 'hot' food was between lukewarm and cold but there was a great selection of fresh fruit and pastries.

The 'but' in all this is that I was allocated room 26 which backs on to the function room. I didn't want to stay for the whole of the wedding dance but it was impossible to stay in my room as it reverberated with the noise of the band through the wall and I might have well been on the stage with them. This was beyond noisy, it was unbearable. The evening receptionist was very apologetic and offered to move me into a non premier room in the older part of the hotel or to give me a room where I could watch tv but I didn't want this hassle and so stayed in the comfortable lobby area in front of the log fire and then sat out the last hour of the music in bed with my tv's volume turned up to 100. The band did finish at midnight so it could have been worse. However, there was more noise after 1 a.m. when it sounded like furniture was being dragged across the floor.

The following day when I raised this there was an immediate apology and my bill was halved. I am very grateful that my complaint was taken so seriously and dealt with without a quibble. That is good customer service. However, it seems to me a flaw to have a room that, when a band is playing through the wall, is unusable by any guests who do not want to be at the function, for whatever reason. I was also told, twice, that I should have been told about the drawback of this room, but I wasn't. My ratings can only be based on my personal experience. They would have been different if I'd had a different room.

Room Tip: Overall the rooms seem excellent but there are drawbacks to room 26.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your kind comments about your stay at Lochgreen House Hotel. It is encouraging to read that you enjoyed our very large bedrooms and appreciated the special touches that we believe give the room added character. I am glad you appreciated the fact that we could assist you with an early check in. We understand that this important to guests who are attending weddings and our housekeepers strive to get the rooms ready as early as possible whilst maintaining our high standards.
I'm sorry that you were disturbed by the noise from the band playing at the wedding you were attending. We are aware of the fact that room 26 can experience noise whilst a band is playing, which is why we only allocate that room to wedding guests. In general wedding guests don't retire to their room until the band has stopped playing and in most cases it is not an issue at all.
I'm pleased you felt your complaint was dealt with efficently and that overall you enjoyed your stay at Lochgreen.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
The Marine Hotel
Western House Hotel
Seamill Hydro
Seamill Hydro
#1 of 2 in West Kilbride

Been to Lochgreen House Hotel? Share your experiences!