The Anchorage Hotel
Agoda.com
$342
$147
$142
Old Loans Inn(Troon)(Great Value!)
$170
$100
$130
$80
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgroupon dealsea viewlick of paintfour poster bedtwo nightsbeer gardentwo night staysome tlcwee breakgreat weekenda bit tiredweekend breaklovely foodblack puddingcourse dinnerportionsseaside
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Bought a two night deal with dinner through Groupon, was brilliant value for money. Food was excellent and staff friendly. Our room(s) were very spacious, Room 2 had a double and single bed and Room 6 was the same with a sea view. Try The Harbour Bar for food, only a 2 minute walk from the hotel, great food and brilliant value 2 courses for £5.95!!

Room Tip: The views from the rooms don't matter try and get a room with more than one bed they are more spacious!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Purchased groupon and thought it was good deal. Was promised 2 course meal with bottle of wine to value of £13.95. When served only offered free glass each. Anyway, not wishing to act cheap decided to forgive this. To be honest when we arrived we went to reception which was unmanned and had to go to bar to find someone to get booked in. When the query owner finally arrived about ten mins later offering no apology for our wait he was abrupt and unwelcoming. He did not show us to our room or offer to carry luggage. Tut tut number one. On initial inspection the room was dated but charming offering pleasant sea view slightly obscured by P&O terminal. When we stripped off bedspread, not doing hotel inspector type inspection but merely settling into bed found stains on both bedspread and matching pillows. Found a spare set white one in cupboard and used them abandoning bedspread. Luckily not cold as unable to put heating on in room. Now we have travelled a little and stayed in lovely expensive places as well as hostels but this place was filthy. It could have been free, but no ody should be expected to stay in substandard neglected accommodation groupon or not. See pictures. We did not eat breakfast non both days as well the evening meal was cheap and nasty food. Half of the menu was not available "as it had been so busy" apparently! No complimentary drinks offered to compensate this inconvenience which had left us only a couple of choices from menu. I didn't do 4 in a bed inspection looking for pubic hairs for I fear I would have found a wig and a possible corpse. We drank in local bar and ate at chip shop next door which was great and would recommend it greatly. The anchorage staff apart from the owner were pleasant but the owner or manager did not care, and unfortunately this shows through bad treatment given to patrons. I would take plenty bleach pledge a Hoover and steam cleaner but don't expect help carrying it up the stairs.

• Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank Goobygum
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Came here with my wife as she had a Groupon voucher, Its great value for money , but I certainly would not have paid the room rate if I had ventured in from the street.
Room was beyond basic with no lamps and furniture straight from the reject pile in the charity shop.

In contrast the bar was good and the food was excellent and very reasonable, the deal we had included a bottle of wine and this went down well.Only small complaint was the tv's , great quality but the demographic at the bar was more smooth fm than MTV all evening.

Breakfast was good and efficiant , just avoid the water with a splash of orange in it !

Overall if we went aain it would have to be on a similar deal , just get a decorator and this would be a great wee place

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Don't be fooled, we didn't go crazy, the weather did! The Anchorage proudly boasts it was established in 1812. The floors bear this out, there is not a straight floor in the place. Walking around makes you feel you have had at least one too many.

The food for our Groupon Deal was off the menu, however, my Cajun Chicken was about the best I have ever tasted. My wife was jealous and wished she had not gone for the passable steak pie.

The bar staff, who were also night time waitresses, were friendly and polite, the service was swift and good.

From sight of the main menu the food appeared plentiful and of good value.

We had 2xBB + 1 evening meal for a little over £60.00, excellent value for money.

The full Scottish Breakfast was a very good start to the day. Unlimited tea, coffee and orange juice was to my liking. No wholemeal bread for toast was not to my liking.

The adverts said some rooms had a sea view, we didn't. The room was small, the TV was on a windowsill to save space. The shower room was adequate. I suppose when you stay in the nearby Monkton Premier Lodge it is a hard act to follow. However, the food more than made up for this as did the overall ambience.

I would recommend the Groupon Deal, I am not sure I would pay the £70+ double B&B per night.

The cleaner needs to pay more attention to detail, lose the cigarette machine in the bar and clean the whole area properly, please. You are allowed to dust.

Room Tip: I would ask for a definite sea view, the beach at Troon is very good.
1  Thank allen555
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed in the Anchorage Hotel purchased through a Groupon Deal. The hotel is situated across from the ferry terminal, and if you have a front room, you can watch the ferry loading and unloading. It's a busy terminal. The hotel/pub is 200 years old. The bars are comfortable. The meals, which are served in the bars, are huge, very tasty, and accompanied by a free glass of wine. The breakfasts are served in another room. They are regular, the usual selection. We were lucky to have a very large front room. It had a single and a double bed, TV, desks, settee, large wardrobe - plenty of space. But the room was in need of decoration. Bedding and towels were clean and fresh though. No lamps in the bed lights, and because we were only there for two nights, we did not complain. I think the hotel has a busy turn over, with people staying over for a night or even just a few hours to have a meal and refreshment. The main areas have character, except for the TVs all over the bars. My impression is that the hotel sleeping accommodation is incidental to the bars and dining. We enjoyed our break and it was certainly value for money because of the Groupon deal.

Room Tip: Request a front room, Do not think I would like a back room, because there is no outlook.