“very average”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Troon
The Anchorage Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Troon
“very average”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

my good lady and i recently spent a night in this hotel, on arrival we were shown our rather small if cozy enough room,our stay was uneventful and mostly pleasant but i am afraid the food was very bland and uninviting,both of us opted for different chicken dishes that were either tepid or tough enough for my good lady to require using the steak knife to get through the aforementioned fowl,cant say we will be booking a return trip to the anchorage

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I booked a Groupon deal for the Anchorage for myself, my husband and another couple. On reading the review's we were a bit apprehensive about going.

Our friends arrived first and they had a room looking out to the back, there were also signs of water ingress in their room, a coat of paint wouldn't go amiss! Our room was to the front of the hotel with a lovely view over toward the marina.Both rooms were spacious, however they were tired but clean and the beds were very comfy. The shower in our room was new and powerful. A new shower curtain wouldn't go wrong. Overall the rooms could be doing with a bit of TLC. For all the time you spend in your room tho...

We did wait to check in but we weren't in any hurry so this didn't bother me to much, the friendliness of the staff made up for the wait. The hairdryer in my room didn't work but they got me another one as soon as I asked.

The big plus for this place is the bar. It's a quirky place, friendly and the food is fabulous. We stayed two nights with breakfast (which was also lovely) and one night with dinner. Just dinner alone would set you back what it cost for the two night stay!! We did wait a bit for dinner to be served but the real chips were worth the wait. Everything is cooked fresh and even Tam Cowan gave it 23/25 for the food.

On the Sunday I asked the big question, would we go back?? We would be quite happy to grab another Groupon deal for this hotel, I wouldn't be so keen to pay full price unless it had a revamp.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I visited this hotel in June 2012 and wrote a less than complimentary review entitled "Good food...shame about the room". I vowed never to return but, on the basis that everyone deserves a second chance, I went back in February 2013 on another deal.

What a difference a review makes - or at least I'd like to think so. There's no doubt the place could do with some upgrading as mentioned in many other reviews. However, the food was just as good so a real positive note. The room was also far better. Spacious, great sea view, four poster bed and very much cleaner. Not a crumb or bin in sight and the service in both the bar and restaurant was good. Indeed, the busy bar was testimony to the popularity of the hotel. If I had to make a critical comment, the staff member on reception seemed to prefer to enter information into the hotel computer than take time out to let me check in..... but a minor point.

The deal represented great value for money and I hope my next visit will be as pleasant as this one.

Room Tip: A sea view is a must.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2013

On arrival we went to reception to check in and no one was to be seen. Rang the bell and waited, still no one. Eventually phoned the number we had for hotel and girl said she would be with us. We later realised the delay was because the same girl on reception was also barmaid and waitress to chef and was working very hard. We were eventually given keys to room 10 which was a large comfy room with double bed and single (had only booked for two), trouser press, and tv with satellite channels. Also had a seaview. Only downside was very poor wi fi connection. Room was lovely and warm and very clean.
We ate in the bar in the hotel and the food was lovely. The place was buzzing with people, great atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Osmotherley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Welcoming little place with a great view of the sea. The rooms are a little basic but clean. The bar is welcoming - especially on a cold night! The staff are very friendly and there are "early bird" offers on evening meals.

Room Tip: Get a room on the front for the view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Went to the Anchorage Hotel, Troon for weekend on a Groupon Voucher.
Before I went I looked at other peoples reviews which in places were negative so here goes.

Lets deal with the negatives;
Hotel room is a wee bit tired but nothing a new coat of paint wont sort out.

Positives;
Hotel staff were all very attentive from check in until check out.
Room was clean and tidy and very fit for purpose.
We ate twice in the hotel bar and the food was of a very high quality.All freshly cooked and I highly recommend the battered fish as well as the chicken burrittos.
The bar is always busy and has a great atmosphere eminating from it and it is very obvious many non hotel residents use it frequently.

Would I go back?

Absolutely

Great weekend had

Room Tip: imagine rooms to rear of property will be quieter
Falkirk
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Got this deal through Groupon wasn't expecting much for the price. Wasn't happy with the first room we were offered but that was changed right away. Rooms are old fashioned but very warm, had to get up to turn the heating off during the night. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Food was great and breakfast made to order although they could be doing with new toasters. Although the hotel was full we didn't have to wait for service. Would recommend for a weekend getaway

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
The Marine Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Irvine
Parkstone
Parkstone
#1 of 6 in Prestwick

Been to The Anchorage Hotel? Share your experiences!