“I arrived with a Boyfriend and left with a Fiancé”

Piersland House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Reviewed October 25, 2013

What can I say about our stay, This was an overnight stay for myself and my other half as our son was at Ayr with his Grandparents during the school holiday and we had to pick him up early Friday morning.

First impressions Hotel looked good from the outside and well maintained. Check in was quick and dealt with in a professional manner.

We stayed in an superior double Room (Room 11). Spacious room, I don't drink tea or coffee so the hot chocolate went down a treat. Would be an idea though if Green Tea was available in the rooms. Bathroom was quite big and the free toiletries were lovely. Only downside to the room and its of no big deal to us but there was a cobweb just above the light and a couple more on the ceiling. Not a major thing but it would also be an idea to have Irons available in all rooms rather than waiting for one to be available.

Food: WE went for the early bird offer 3 courses for a very reasonable price. We both had chicken to start with and it tasted divine, Main I had the Lasagne and chips which was delicious and my other half had the pork loin with black pudding the only thing that let it down was the black pudding was deep fried in batter, he should have got chips with it but they never arrived. The service was quite slow I sat without a drink the whole way through my main course despite the young lady standing watching what was going on in the restaurant ( I get the impression she was fairly new) the long pauses between courses didn't bother us as in other places we feel we are rushed out so this was nice. Desserts again were amazing really couldn't fault the quality of food or drinks. I did feel a little squashed in though.

We had a few drinks in the walker bar and the service was imperative here, could not fault the lady or the gentleman working in here at all there was what looked like a private function going on and they we professional at all times.

We retired for the night and this is when my boyfriend proposed to me to say I was over the moon is an understatement 7 years and 11 months of being together I thought it was never going to happen.

Breakfast the food was fantastic the gentleman taking the food order was well presented and was engaging with the guests the waitress on the other hand could do with training onhow to greet guests and how to be a bit more alive in the morning she looked like she just wanted to go back to her bed.

Checkout was the same lady who checked me in and she asked me how was my stay and I happened to mention the engagement and all she could say was remember we do packages no congratulations or well done.

All in all we did have an enjoyable stay at the Piersland and we would go back and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Room 11 over looks the car park but not too noisy but because eit is at the end of the hall it also...

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had our wedding at this beautiful hotel on Sunday 20th Oct 2013. The Piersland staff couldn't do enough for us, they made our day perfect. Special thanks to Lisa (bar staff) who helped us when we realised we had forgotten flowers for special people, she managed to get us some (despite it being a Sunday) & even helped me touch up my make up for photos!!
All the staff were amazing, and nothing was too much trouble.
The rooms in the hotel are beautiful, especially the honeymoon suite :) The food is delicious, couldn't fault anything. Thankyou to ALL the staff at the Piersland, who made our stay perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We have just returned from this hotel I will now give my thoughts on the hotel, food, and service.
When we booked the hotel I new there were cottages and lodges, so i though by booking on the hotels own website i would be given a double room in the hotel this was not the case and we were never informed by email we would have to go for a walk in the rain to get to our room, sorry but a bit more information should be supplied by the hotel. We went for a drink on Sunday afternoon couldn't get a seat in the rose bowl bar so proceeded to go into the walker bar but were told we couldn't come in as there was a wedding taking place, ended up walking to another hotel for a drink.
We ate both night in the hotel we found the food to be of a good standard, the breakfasts were excellent it is so good to see some hotels are still using good butchers for their sausage and black pudding and bakers for their potato scones, there is only one down side to the food while preparing this good food, why and i mean why will they spoil it by using frozen chips you have beautiful scallops and then get hit by frozen chips!!
The service in the hotel was very good we had our first night in the walker bar and the staff couldn't do enough were always running around looking after all our needs. We had our second meal in the rose bowl restaurant the server wasn't too happy that we didn't like the table that was offered, this must have accounted for the very slow service.
In conclusion we have spent many good weekends in Troon at other hotels, I know i might be a bit fussy about my food but if your going to charge city center prices don't use frozen chips. I would recommend this hotel to friends but find out where you are staying first.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I recently stayed here for a family wedding. The staff were very rude to a number of guests, one of whom was my 4 year old daughter who a member of the serving staff snapped at when she asked her a question! Also when the starters were brought out after a few minutes i reslised i didnt have mine, so after asking a member of staff brought it over.. only for a spider to crawl from under my bowl and along my plate! Another member of staff removed the spider..but left the soup, after a minute i said to another member of staff about the soup for her to say 'what do u want another one?' There were many more comments like this as the day progressed! Also staff are not helpfull at all, a couple of them stood and watched me struggle to bump my pram and baby down the steps to get into the conservetory for dinner..had they offered to help i would have thought alot better of them! We were attending a wedding but made to feel like we didnt matter. There was a recurring feeling throughout the day and night that guests were inferior to staff! Not a nice feeling at all, dont think complaints get taken seriously at all! Also we were given a cottage for our stay..another spider was found crawling over my pillow when i lay down..another along the ceiling and cobwebs in the bathroom! Also the couch and carpet in living area were stained looking and decor was very very outdated!

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank AKHRC
kuhler, Operations Director at Piersland House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear AKHR,

I believe you spoke to Mr Smit, the General Manager on check out and your queries were answered and dealt with. You omit to tell the full story in your review.

Kind regards,

Karel Kuhler
Operations Director

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is a hotel centred around a beautiful Arts & Crafts house formerly owned by the Walker whisky family and subsequently very discretely extended to accommodate larger numbers of guests for functions etc,

Our party booked Superior Doubles which gave us rooms in the original house, they were all lovely, and our room, The Lady Alexander Walker (8) was particularly nice, lovely bathroom. You would have to check with the hotel about where your room might be.

Arts & Crafts fans should stay, the house has been beautifully kept and is well presented in a traditional way with a contemporary edge - I now have new eyes for dog tooth check....

The people working in the hotel were hospitable without being intrusive, well done!

Room Tip: The restaurant is popular with guests and locals alike, but the kitchen can close early (9PM). Our...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed for a 2 day break which included dinner on the first night from 13th-15th October.
We were given Room 11 which we found to be clean, spacious and decorated in keeping with the style of the house. Whilst there was a wedding taking place in the hotel, this did not affect the excellent and friendly standard of service we received. In fact, an exceptionally helpful member of staff (Heather) changed our dinner booking to suit us as the restaurant was very busy that evening.
Breakfast was served efficiently and was probably the hottest breakfast I've had in a hotel! Overall, the food was of a high standard, varied menu and served by friendly waiting staff who gave the impression they were enjoying their work.
Our only minor criticism, without wishing to be petty was that the water pressure from the shower was very poor and the hair-dryer in the room was totally inadequate - it was only the size of the palm of my hand and discharged very little hot air.
However, this took nothing away from our stay, we will recommend the hotel to friends and family and will most definitely return.
We viewed the chalets and cottage rooms in the hotel grounds and would certainly recommend either of these if previous reviews have given cause for doubt.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This was one of four hotels in a group golf tour of Scotland; it was good, but great like the other hotels (Greywalls, Rufflets, & Turnberry). Our rooms in the side cottages were excellent for pairs of golfers, the grounds were very nice, and the restaurant served a good breakfast and dinner. We had the misfortune of being awakened by a false fire alarm on two of the three nights we stayed here (they were doing some revisions of their wi-fi, fiberoptic, and electrical systems). We thought we were at least due an apology for trudging into the night (twice), but nothing transpired.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
The Marine Hotel
#4 of 6 in Troon
Savoy Park Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
#1 of 17 in Ayr

Been to Piersland House Hotel? Share your experiences!