“Tremendous food, view and value”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Troon
Highgrove House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Troon B&B and Inns
Glasgow, Scotland
“Tremendous food, view and value”
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We have used Highgrove on a number of occasions but its about time I reviewed it. As part of the costly and costly group of excellent hotels and restaurants I always expect high quality and this has always been deliver.

We visited with my parents in law for Easter lunch and I was delighted to find that there was no set menu and instead the usual excellent a la carte menu was on offer.

First though Highgrove is set up the hill in Loans providing wonderful panoramic views across Troon, Ayr and across to Arran. I see that they have added an outdoor seating area that will be spectacular when the temperatures rise!

The restaurant was pretty full but we were seated and attended to quickly and politely. The staff are always pleasant and on hand to assist.

I had excellent fresh mussels that were so fresh I had to wond. If they were straight out of the sea I was looking over. Al other starters were of the same high standard as we're the main courses. Brilliant. No one could quite manage a pudding after the generous servings of starter and mains but for those being served around us they looked excellent as well.

Price wise all of the costley establishments are, in my opinion, cheap for the standard of food and surroundings.

Highly recommended.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Malton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I went to stay here on a Sunday night prior to a business meeting on a Monday morning. Arriving very late at night I was met by a very friendly receptionist who recommended a nice glass of wine after my long journey. The room I was given was stunning with a bathroom alone much bigger than some hotel rooms I have stayed in. It was so nice I had to try out the gorgeous bath. The room was well furnished, stylish, comfortable but still homely and in the morning I opened the curtains to an amazing view.
I am not one normally for breakfast especially in the restaurants but on this occasion I did go down for breakfast and am glad I did so. Again the staff were really welcoming and the breakfast was one of the best I have ever had while away. A great spread of bacon, sausage, pancakes, mushrooms, tomato, potato cake. It was lovely. If I am ever in the area again I will be sure to stay there even if not on business. I would throughly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Room 1 has the most amazing bathroom and a good view on a morning
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SCOTLAND
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Second visit to this establishment. As previous review food good - well presented and tasty.
However, the spoiler of the evening was over a request (on the 2 course meal option) to have a desert from the main menu. A few of the items listed on the 2 course menu were included on the main menu and all priced the same. However, in response to my request the waitress was advised by her manager that head office did not allow this kind of substitution!!!! Which only led me to think that this establishment puts money before customer - so they ended up charging me £12.95 for 1 of 2 courses + the full price of a desert from the main menu!! This attitude is pretty disappointing and is the kind of approach that turns customers away on future bookings. Surely better to try to compromise with the customer and keep them coming back for more....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Celtic-Wanderer
Scotland
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We went with friends, and had a very pleasant meal. The staff were friendly,helpful, and the service was good . The restaurant was busy, with no "rowdy" dinners as previously reported last month. The clientele were, as usual , all well behaved.
Recommended to anybody wishing a good quality meal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank familyoffife5
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Spent weekend at this hotel, we had a warm welcome on arrival. The room was excellent with wonderful views of the Firth of Clyde and the Isle of Arran. The food was delicious and well presented.The staff were all friendly and service good. .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ann P
Huddersfield
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Not a very good experience. I have dined here before and thought it was great, also ate at Lochgreen and it was better but more expensive. I thought I'd return to highgrove but what a disappointment. We weren't offered a wine list and the then brought out the main courses without setting the cutlery. Atmosphere was also very noisy/ rowdy as if it had gone down in standard of clientele. It was that noisy it was more like a "Brewer's fayre" all that was missing was the wacky warehouse!!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Fantastic restaurant with great service from helpful and friendly staff. Highly recommended. The views from the restaurant looking over Troon and Arran are second too none. Lots of choice on the menu and prices are very reasonable.

• Stayed October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
The Marine Hotel
Gailes Restaurant and Hotel
Carlton Hotel Prestwick
Carlton Hotel Prestwick
#2 of 6 in Prestwick

Been to Highgrove House Hotel? Share your experiences!