“Very nice break! But no wine list in Arran lounge....unbelievable!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Marine Hotel

The Marine Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very nice break! But no wine list in Arran lounge....unbelievable!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Just returned from an overnight stay at the Marine. Overall we had a lovely time, check in was very efficient, our room was on the small side but perfectly adequate and modern. Our meal in Two Fat Ladies was very nice, wine well chilled. I too noticed that the side plates did not match but sensed it was deliberate and gave added charm. They were old fashioned china side plates that you would have got when you went to your Granny's for tea, very quaint! Why no 5 star rating you ask?
WELL..... When we adjourned to the Arran Lounge after dinner, we requested a wine list to view the selection of wine on offer prior to ordering whatever took our fancy. The barman responded that they did not have a wine list, what kind of wine would we like!!!!! I find it incredible and unacceptable that a hotel of this stature could not provide a wine list in their lounge bar. They serve bar meals here too but no wine list to choose a bottle of wine with your meal! We were so astounded that we left without having a drink, their loss on the price of a bottle of wine.
I would ask that management explain why this is not on offer and also that this policy is reviewed, otherwise we would be unlikely to return, which would be a shame as up to this point we could not fault anything at all.
Oh and breakfast next day was enjoyable, a short wait for a table as they were very busy, but this was well managed.

1 Thank Issy499
AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Thank you very much for the great review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am extremely sorry for the incident with the wine list, this has been addressed with the individual team member as we certainly do have a wine list available in the bar. I am very sorry for any confusion.
Thank you again for the review and thank you for choosing to stay with us, I hope that we will see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

The staff here cannot be faulted, the location and views are exquisite,
however many of the rooms are in urgent need of considerable refurb ................double glazing for example is really essential (and the norm elsewhere!)

Come on Puma Group, support your staff
spend some money, get it sorted

Your heating bill must be enormous!

1 Thank ete3
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you found the team at the hotel to be so welcoming, we work very hard to ensure that we are always the best version of ourselves!
I am sorry that our rooms were not more to your liking but thank you for your feedback.
Thanks for staying with us and I hope that we see you again soon.
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I returned to the Marine with friends for a girly spa day after staying here in November. It was such a relaxing day and can recommend it. The staff in every area of the hotel were excellent, especially Perri at the Spa who couldn't do enough to make our day so enjoyable. The lunch is great in The Fat Ladies restaurant and will definitely be back.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thank you for another lovely review, I am delighted that you are continually impressed! Thank you for choosing us again and I hope we see you lots over the coming months
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

My wife and I had a wonderful overnight . Our room was exceptional with wonderful views over Royal Troon Golf course and the Firth of Clyde to Arran . All of the staff we met could not have been more helpful . The facilities at the hotel ,including the pool , sauna , steam room and jacuzzi were first class . At dinner the choice and quality were exceptional . We will definitely be returning .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you very much for a great review! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. It was a pleasure to look after you and I do hope that we will see you again soon.
Millport18
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

I spent a Friday evening here and had dinner. We stayed in a suite which was very nice. The hotel is a 4 star, but the feeling you get is that it is struggling to be just that. For example, the side plates at dinner were not from the same crockery set. The rose wine we ordered was not chilled. At breakfast the next morning at least two table close to us were complaining that there food had been forgotten and that they had had to wait excessively to be served after their order had been take - staff were apologising profusely. A table lamp in our room did not work and the room was very dull. I asked, on my way to dinner, if someone could replace the bulb and was told it would be sorted. It wasn't. The towels in the bathroom were very thin and worn.
Our welcome however was lovely, and the hotel looks pretty good to be honest, but just let's itself down on little things, which overall detract significantly from the feel good factor.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for your review. I am sorry that you were not happier with your stay. I appreciate you mentioning the lamp and the wine, these are mistakes that we should not be making.
The mismatched crockery you mention is deliberate and a feature of Two Fat Ladies restaurant rather than any error or lack of consistent purchasing. (We also have similar tea and coffee cups and saucers - they are lovely!). I am not aware of any issues with our towels but will look into it. I appreciate your comments regarding breakfast.
Thanks for choosing to stay with us and I hope that we will see you again soon.
Fife, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed at the Marine for a two night stay in a deluxe room which was very spacious and had great views.
Overall the hotel is very charming and has been brought up to date with the addition of a nice pool, gym and spa facilities. I have been assured by my good lady that the spa treatments were the best that she has had.
Food at the hotel can be had either in the bar which offers a reasonable all day menu (if a bit pricy) or you can have dinner at the Two Fat Ladies restaurant (which seems to have a bit of work to do to be as good as the other TFL restaurants in Glasgow). Breakfast is also served in the TFL restaurant. My only real gripe was about the breakfast which was overcooked and served on plates that were too hot to handle without a napkin - so the food continued cooking :(
Weather for February was what you would expect really however the hotel and surrounding areas did have enough to offer.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel to let them know what type of room/ facilities you would like so that you are not...
1 Thank Kelpiefan
Thanks for the review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed the Spa and I think you enjoyed the restaurant!
I hope that we see you again soon.
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Visited the Marine Hotel yesterday for a Spa Day and "Lunch" purchased through Itison. The day started very well with a massage for myself and manicure for my wife - faultless - the staff were superb. Unfortunately after this great start the day went downhill. We went for a swim prior to our lunch and discovered 3 members of staff cleaning the sides of the pool, with scrubbing brushes and scouring pads, while customers were swimming - only in Scotland!!! After this "lovely" experience we went for our "lunch" which was purchased for the "Two Fat Ladies Restaurant". We were informed our lunch would be held in the Arran Room with what can only be described as an extremely limited "light lunch" menu. The Arran Room was adequate but disappointing as was the light lunch (Soup and Caesar Salad). I have purchased a few of these Spa Days in various hotels and have to say the Marine Hotel was by far the worst - the management appear intent on saving pennies when they could be pocketing pounds. My wife and I expect to, and do not mind, paying additional supplements for items/choices in Restaurants where we have purchased deals, however on this occasion none were offered, even wine appeared to be beyond us. I will certainly not be rushing back after this disappointing day, which started so well. It was perhaps, only just, worth the £89.00 voucher price we paid (the full price was allegedly £185.00, which was either a printing error or a joke). On the plus side after leaving the Hotel, starving, we visited the Wee Hurrie Chippy at Troon Harbour, which was as ever Superb!!

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Jason A
Thanks for your review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your treatments, the therapists work very hard and I know that they are hugely encouraged by the great feedback that they receive.
I am sorry if the cleaning was in any way off putting, we spend a great deal of time cleaning each and every day to ensure a pleasant environment for our guests.
With regards to lunch I thank you for your comments and will follow these up with the relevant departments.
We can only maintain a high standard by listening to our guests so your feedback and comments are very valuable to us, thanks for visiting and I do hope we will see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
Piersland House Hotel
Seamill Hydro
#1 of 2 in West Kilbride
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,431 reviews
Western House Hotel

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!