“Great Food and Fabulous Views.”
Review of The Marine Hotel

The Marine Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Visited today for lunch which was excellent, starters, main courses and dessert were all beautifully cooked and presented well with decent sized portions. However, a few disappointing negatives were: my daughter requested a table at the window which we did not get, when I and my daughter requested more bread we were given another slice and our partners were ignored! Although the staff were very nice and friendly at no time did they enquire to see if all was well with our meal! ,something one would expect from this establishment! When having coffee and tea in the bar they were served without milk and sugar which we had to ask for and also no napkins on the saucers of Latte Coffees, again we had to request these. It was an enjoyable meal but marred by the lack of staff training.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
JulietP806, General Manager at The Marine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Dear Helen M

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted you enjoyed the food and stunning views. My sincere apologies for the fact we were unable to meet your request for a window table. These tables are extremely popular and heavily requested, and we simply cannot accommodate everyone such is the demand for these tables. I am sorry that there was clearly a shortfall in the service that you received on this day. We have recently recruited new staff that are still undergoing training and it would appear require further training. I am sorry that you were at the forefront of this and apologise for this oversight. I should like to reassure you that we are committed to extensive staff training which is ongoing, unfortunately some staff members are slower than others to ‘pick things up’, for which I apologise.

We are trying hard to get things right each time every time, we do come up against hurdles that we will overcome. I would encourage you to return and give us another chance to prove to you we can, and often do get things right.

Kind regards
M.Lawrence

Write a ReviewReviews (2,138)

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was set in such a beautiful location with stunning views (though the view from my room was of the car park).
Rooms were very clean, not massive but ok. Bar and bar food was good and all the staff were helpful and friendly.
The breakfast has the potential to be lovely. But we waited half an hour just to be served, despite asking the waitress twice (she apparently didn't have a pad so was sending someone else over).

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Anniefishy

Thank you for your comments. I’m glad you enjoyed the stunning views from the hotel, however not all rooms face towards the sea, such is the layout of the hotel. As much as we would love to allocate all our guests sea views we simply cannot, although we do try our best to accommodate as best we can. This year has been particularly busy for us, our reputation is spreading which has meant that we have had little room to maneuver in terms of upgrading rooms.

I am pleased you enjoyed our food offering and sorry to hear you had to wait to be served at breakfast. As there are no bookings for breakfast, allowing all our guests the freedom to eat breakfast when they chose without having to plan ahead and book, means it can become very busy when most guests decide to breakfast at roughly the same time, although there is no excuse for the waitress not to be prepared for service by not having an order pad for! I will raise this as a concern with the restaurant manager and thank you for brining this to my attention.

We all look forward to your return in the not too distant future.

Kind regards
M.Lawrence

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I had booked 2 nights in a suite for my partners 40th birthday and ordered champagne and chocolates for our arrival. I had emailed and phoned in advance to give a time of our arrival to ensure there would be no errors. My partner is a golfer so I really wanted the suite with a view of the 18th fairway and green. I felt I had done everything to ensure it could not go wrong....I was wrong! We arrived and had a pleasant check-in and went to the room - a very ordinary double room no suite. I couldn't believe my eyes and immediately called for the manager, luckily I had copies of my suite reservation in my laptop, unfortunately for us though our suite had been given to someone else. Obviously the birthday was ruined as my partner was also upset that my special surprise and effort was for nothing. The only reason I'm not giving this review 1 of 5 is that the management were very apologetic and arranged for us to have the suite the following night compensating us adequately for the mess. I suppose mistakes do happen and at least we were satisfied with the efforts to put right. Apart from the first couple of hours the rest of our stay was very nice, we ate in the restaurant both nights and used the pool and bar. All of the staff we encountered were very nice friendly young people who seemed genuinely keen to ensure our stay was pleasant particularly after the mistake. One other small issue is a dirty water glass (still containing water) and the last guests room card were left in the room we were given on the first night. I reported it to the receptionist who had it removed and replaced. If I were to change anything else I would have more channels on the TV, even in the suite there were no sports or music channels and I would expect to find those in a four star hotel these days. I would probably stay again and just get one of the deals that are often available.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the golf course.
3  Thank Mary1967
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were looking forward to another weekend stay at the Marine Hotel, but they never had any trace of our booking made through Classic Britain when we arrived.
The receptionist could not have been more helpful but when I showed that we were booked in a suite, she told us there were none available, we adjourned to the bar where we received a free drink and were informed they had a room for Friday and a deluxe room for Saturday, plus free meal on Saturday night looking good.
The room allocated was the smallest I have ever stayed in, so our relaxing evening before dinner with a nice bottle of wine was scuttled. But at least we had Saturday night in the deluxe room which was perfect and Bathrobe, slippers & mineral water supplied, maybe to some we only got the Bathrobes.
Had to wait till afternoon till our room change on Saturday so were like a pair of orphan Annie’s sitting in the bar waiting.
As for the morning papers I ordered still waiting!
The conclusion was that it was a disappointing weekend break which is a pity as we have both enjoyed our stay at the Marine in the past.
On the plus side the staffs are all helpful and very friendly especially the young bell boy who helped us with our luggage.
Best Regards Jim & Sandra Paterson

Room Tip: If you can afford it upgrade to either Deluxe or a suite as the small room we had was terrible.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Had a very enjoyable overnight stay at the Marine. No complaints about anything. The room we had 106 had the perfect view of the golf course and the sea. The room was well decorated and comfortable with large flat screen TV. The food in the restaurant was exceptional. Lots of choice, well presented and delicious food. Breakfast was fresh local produce cooked perfectly and served quickly. Staff in all areas are to be praised, we experienced nothing but pleasant, willing to help people. Any requests were met with 'of course, no problem'. The hotel was very busy but no standards were compromised. We will definitely be returning to this hotel very soon.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had a lovely stay at this hotel, room with a seaview and the golf course. Food was very good with lots of choice. Hotel is situated right on the sea front with beautiful views. Can't wait to go back!!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had a wonderful break here celebrating the birthdays of my partner and myself. Cannot fault in any area - great room, great food, great staff, cannot praise highly enough. No surprise that this great hotel was full!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Anne S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
Piersland House Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Irvine
South Beach Hotel
South Beach Hotel
#4 of 6 in Troon

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!