“Excellent hotel and location”
Review of The Marine Hotel

The Marine Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel and location”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed for two nights during late November and had a fantastic stay. Reception greeting was excellent and the food for both breakfast and evening meals was freshly prepared and of a high standard. We were allocated a very comfortable sea facing suite with excellent views over Royal Troon golf course. Plenty of on site car parking and a warm ambience throughout the hotel made for a memorable stay despite the wet and wild Scottish weather that week. We will definitely use this excellent hotel again and well done to the management and staff for their wonderful service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunsearcher55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
Scotland
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We had a couple of nights here. Pre arrival was a bit shambolic, difficult to get through by phone to the spa for a booking and no reply to an email service they offer for spa bookings. Got called by the hotel to say that the pool was out of action for our stay so did we want to cancel? we phoned back to say no we still needed to come, and they had gone ahead and cancelled our booking! The hotel was badly smelling of resin from the pool repairs, I was glad that we were not eating in the restaurant that evening.
We had a deluxe room with a nice view. I would not want to stay in a lower standard room with no view. The room was shabby and in need of an update to furniture, furnishings and bathroom, thats why it doesn't seem like a 4 star hotel. The bar area and restaurant area were nice.
The leisure centre needs updating, and the spa area needs to be reconfigured for more privacy and access to changing facilities.
On the positive side the staff were very welcoming and friendly, the hotel and our room were clean and the breakfast was one of the best I have had, freshly cooked Scottish breakfast to order. The location right on the golf course and next to the sea is very good. So I would stay here again but only in conjunction with an offer and in a deluxe room.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frequenttraveller046
North Yorks
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My son in law treat me and my daughter to an overnight stay - Bed Breakfast and evening meal and 2 treatments.

It was wonderful. Cheryl did my treatments and she was really lovely.....despite the age gap she made me feel really comfortablle and chatted away.

The eveing meal was beautiful - i had 3 course and was so full!

Gorgeous huge place with amazing views of the sea and The Isle of Annan i think the guy said......we had our breakfast looking out to sea :)

Would recommend this for a couple/or girl friends or mothers and daughter definitely.

Room Tip: Our room was on first floor - huge. Sea view. Was lovely - no complaints so cant help here sorry.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We visited The Marine Hotel for an ITISON spa day that included an hour long treatment, full use of the leisure facilities and a light lunch and I have to say the whole experience was disappointing from start to finish.

The low points:

- Check-in
We were left for over 10 minutes at the spa reception despite having reservations. The reason we were given was that the staff were setting up the relaxation room but I'll come onto that later. The check-in was poorly executed. Normally, I would expect to get into my robe and slippers before being shown round the facilities and arranging treatment times. Instead half of our group were shown to the changing room, and the other half remained in normal clothes (and had to cart handbags etc) until after their treatment. Not exactly what I would call relaxing!

- The 'locals' are very loud and very, very rude
There are obviously a number of local people who use the facilities on a regular basis. On the day we visited we were subjected to the locals being agressively rude to staff about cancelled gym classes and clucking loudly about not being able to use their 'usual' locker and their general day-to-day woes. I know that the hotel is not directly at fault for this but they could introduce and enforce basic etiquette standards.

- Having to ask twice for towels
We were told that towels, robes and slippers would be provided. Our towels were missing. We immediately informed spa staff who said that they would bring some down. After a couple of hours we asked again, and then again.

- The facilities
The swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room are all extremely dated - my local gym boasts more modern facilities! It would be safe to say that while the hotel may be 4*, the leisure facilities are certainly not.

- The 'relaxation room'
A couple of old sofas, some wicker tables and chairs and an ikea lamp make for the worst attempt at a relaxation area I have ever seen. I'm not sure what needed to be 'set up'. Also, the only reading material available is spa magazines that focus on the world's leading treatments and facilities - not something you want to look at when you're in the worst spa you've ever seen.

- Treatments
The missing element in the treatments is the interaction. I don't want a hard sell on products when I'm trying to enjoy a treatment but I would expect some explanation of what is being used. I had the facial, and at no point did the therapist tell me what she was putting on my skin.

The high points:

- Lunch
Lunch was probably the most successful part of the day. Aside from the anonymous soup (we weren't told what the soup was, it looked like pond water and tasted of nothing), lunch was good.

This was the worst spa experience I have ever had by a long shot. A spa day should be luxurious, and you should leave feeling utterly pampered. This is not what you get at The Marine Hotel. The spa facilities need around £1 million of investment to bring them up to standards and the staff need total retraining to learn how to make their guests feel pampered.

If you want a good spa experience, stay clear of this hotel. Go to the Lochside House Hotel in New Cumnock - they'll show you how it's done!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Princess8562
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I was given as a present the stay at the Marine. My only disappointement, it was only for one night, superb food, great location overlooking tthe sea and golf course, comfy rooms and clean. The tea tray under the the television I found it a little hard to get too. Room 324. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: front rooms lovely view of the sea and golf course
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
East Kilbride
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed here between xmas & new year which was £50pp for overnight stay, full use of leisure facilities & 3 course meal. We arrived 30 minutes before check in and our room was not ready but this was not a problem. We just sat in the bar with a drink looking at the nice view. The receptionist was very friendly and helpful.

Room was nice. Nothing spectacular about it but no complaints. Big bed that was very comfy. Bathroom also nice with bath & shower and toiletries. We struggled with the ironing board though... strangely it sits attached at the side of the wardrobe but you cant actually put it up because the huge dressing table is in the way. We had to end up moving the dressing table to use it and it took 2 of us to move it as its a big chunky bit of furniture. Not sure if every room is like this?

The leisure facilities were ok. There were a lot of kids around so it was anything but relaxing. Sitting in a Jacuzzi with 6 kids is anything but fun. I heard a lady commenting that she was not happy about this as children are not allowed in the Jacuzzi apparently but no staff were around. It didn’t bother me that much but I think people were there for a relaxing spa day as they were walking around in dressing gowns so if I had paid for this specifically I might have felt differently.

Dinner was fantastic and beautifully presented. Could not fault it at all. I went down to the bar at about 11.30pm to purchase a bottle of water but they didn’t have any which was rather strange. They did give us a nice bowl of mixed nuts to take up to the room though.

Had a great sleep and heard no noise even though the weather was horrendous outside.

Breakfast was great, probably the best ive had at a hotel stay. Great selection of fruits, meats, cheeses, jams and then a full cooked breakfast with your choice of eggs.

For what we paid it was a great deal and I would come back, particularly for the food.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Why does this hotel chain believe that an attractive facade justifies expensive prices for mediocre and tired rooms?

Stayed here as part of their Summer promotion rates. Room was at back of hotel tucked away with zero views.

The taps in the bathroom sink were so loose they moved around the sink as one tried to turn them on. There was a huge crack across the whole of the bathroom ceiling. Outside the room was a external generator or pump room which continually cut in and out and not making for a peaceful stay.

Breakfast was reasonable but service varied. Not recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
Piersland House Hotel
Seamill Hydro
#1 of 2 in West Kilbride
Fairfield House Hotel
Western House Hotel

Been to The Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!