“Friendly atmosphere”

Velvet Apple
Cuisines: Scottish, British, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Velvet Apple is our cafe/restaurant serving fantastic, locally sourced food that passes our high standards, delivered with a smile by our team of dedicated staff. We are open every day for coffee and totally scrumptious homemade cakes, also freshly prepared delicious lunches. We also open every Friday for our West End nights and every second Saturday for a themed night!
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Love this wee place, have popped in for a coffee a few times staff are chatty and friendly exp the little irish guy. Only fault I have is the deserts I find a bit to pricey for what u actually receive.

1  Thank dfesk

Reviewed February 12, 2014

The window display of amazing looking cakes was the reason i went in for something to eat and a coffee. My white baguette was pretty dry and tough and there was little or no butter/mayo to hold the contents in place. I determinedly chewed my way through as much of it as i could, taking out the big rough bits of lettuce, but had to leave quite a lot in the end. The coleslaw was awful and tasteless which was a shame as it's so easy to make. I'm sure this was from one of the big catering sized tubs. I had two coffee's which were lovely, and a slice of cake which was nice, if a little dry. The offer of cream or a blob of ice-cream would easily have sorted that.

The staff were very nice, friendly and attentive and the restaurant was busy. It's nicely decorated and has a good choice of tables and seats.

I had to go to the back to ask for and pay the bill, and felt i was getting in the way of the waitresses excusing themselves past me with food. The bill was a bit pricey.

It's a nice place, but the food quality slightly lets it down which is a shame.

4  Thank JWellingtonWimpy
velap4, Owner at Velvet Apple, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Thank you for your feedback which is always much appreciated. I am really sorry our food was not to your liking, however I would like to point out that our coleslaw is homemade every day which is the same for all of our produce. We have a very strong regular customer base who love our homemade food.
It would always be helpful to us if you point issues out when you are in our cafe as we would only be to happy to rectify anything at the time.

Kind regards
Gill Hamilton

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Had lunch here today and what a great experience we had. On offer were a good variety of interesting sandwiches as well as soup options, platter boards and a 'special' dish.
I opted for the Scottish platter board and was spoiled with a large portion of pâté along with Ayrshire ham, Arran cheese, homemade onion marmalade and salad with dressing. Superb. My good lady had the 'special' which was lamb meatballs in a homemade tomato sauce with flat bread and salad. Again, superb.
Total price including a latte and tea came to £20. Worth every penny particularly as the service was warm and friendly.
ps the sandwich price seems high at £6.95 but they looked huge/ a real meal in itself.

4  Thank Kelpiefan
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I cannot fault this little cafe bistro place, such an individual feel to it and with great service. I visited again with my partner recently, this time for a coffee and cake, although i was sorely tempted by the idea of a homemade lamb hotpot. I had a mocha with a slice of rose sponge : which i wasn't too sure of, but it was absolutely delicious! My partner had a caramel and apple scone with a black coffee, which was also thoroughly enjoyed. We were also shown a menu for their tapas style evenings, which i'll definitely be giving a try!

2  Thank Ariana W
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Popped into this cafe for a late lunch on a rainy day and really liked it.
Though we were the only customers sitting in, the friendly staff and the quirky atmosphere brightened the place up. My fiancé and I shared their fish board for two which was delicious and plentiful. The Velvet Apple is worth popping into for lunch or dinner when visiting Troon.

1  Thank Foodaholic01
velap4, Owner at Velvet Apple, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Thank you very much for your excellent feedback. We strive to produce quality, fresh produce and it is always a huge compliment to us when our customers enjoy our food. We hope to see you back again soon, please check our Facebook page for upcoming themed nights.

Kindest regards