“Good but not yet of the same standard as the other Two Fat Ladies”
Review of Two Fat Ladies at the Marine - CLOSED

Two Fat Ladies at the Marine
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I dined at the neatest addition to the two Fat Ladies chain twice while staying at the Marine hotel.
On both nights, I really enjoyed my three course meals as each dish was perfectly cooked and presented, as you would expect from a two fat ladies restaurant. The restaurant was also decorated similarly to the other Two Fat Ladies that I have visited.
However, while the food and atmosphere were good, there were some inconsistencies with service that need to be addressed before this restaurant matches the standards of the other Two Fat Ladies in Glasgow. While all the waiters and waitresses were friendly, little things such as not being offered any bread when having soup or having to ask three times to be brought a jug of water were annoying and have not happened to me in any of the other Two Fat Ladies branches. However, one of the waiters went out of his way to assist my fiancé in making his meal better; when he did not like the sauce available for the chicken, the waiter who served the dish suggested giving him another sauce and talked through all the sauces available and then brought the chosen sauce to the table. The waitress who took the order did not ask if an alternative sauce would be wanted.
Also, the portion sizes were a little inconsistent with the portions served on the first night being much smaller than on the second night.
Overall, I would say that my meals in the restaurant were the best that I have ever had in a hotel restaurant. However, to bring the restaurant up to the same impeccable standard as the other Two Fat Ladies restaurants, little inconsistencies with the service and portion sizes need to be addressed.

1  Thank Foodaholic01
AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at Two Fat Ladies at the Marine, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Thank you very much for the lovely review. I appreciate the constructive criticism and assure you that we are always working to improve and maintain a high standard. I am however encouraged that the emails you had were the best in any hotel!
Thank you again for the review and I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Marine Highland last night and ate in the Two Fat Ladies restaurant. I chose the pigeon starter, while my husband had the mackerel. For mains, I picked the guinea fowl while my husband had the cannon of beef. All were really delicious. The plate of cheese is recommended too.

Thank you very much for the great review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal, we are all working very hard to ensure that we present consistently excellent food and service and it is very encouraging to read such wonderful feedback. I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Having dined at the Two Fat Ladies in Glasgow previously and thoroughly enjoying those meals I was excited when I saw a voucher for a "spa day" which included a massage and two course meal at Two Fat Ladies. Everything leading up to the meal had been nice and the staff in the Health Center had been very amicable and friendly. We had both enjoyed massages and saunas. However when it got to the lunch everything seemed to go downhill. The menu was the Christmas Menu and although I was aware that occasionally the menus change, the menu being offered was unlike anything that I would expect from Two Fat Ladies. Soup or Melon to start and one fish option for a main course. We had expected to dine on a two course menu rather than a set 3 course menu of which we could choose two courses. I questioned this to the staff and I was told that if i wanted to order something else I would have to pay full price from the other menu, obviously I refused as I had already paid 100 pounds towards the day. When the food was served to me in the Marine Hotel it was rushed and disappointing. Had the food been good the value for money would have been good, however the food was appalling and therefore there was no value. The vegetables were practically raw and the food was undesirable to say the least. Having had a lovely dining experience from the west end restaurant I am extremely disappointment that Two Fat Ladies are allowing such mediocre food (if that!) under their name. I will certainly not be back to this Two Fat Ladies restaurant and sadly, wont rush back to the others which I did thoroughly enjoy as a result of this experience.

4  Thank RaeJ835

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your time with us. As I said in our correspondence we take the comments seriously and apologise for any instance where we have failed to deliver the correct standard or failed to live up to expectations. I do very much hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Having dined in both Two Fat Ladies in Glasgow, I was extremely disappointed at The Marine hotel. The food was below average, had to keep asking for water, waited so long to order we ended up ordering wine and our meal at the same time and the cheese board was a joke. Will not be back.

5  Thank littlescot
AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at Two Fat Ladies at the Marine, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry if your experience was less than excellent. We are working very hard to ensure that we deliver the same standard as our sister restaurants in Glasgow and are very happy with the progress that we are making. As a new and busy restaurant it is inevitable that we will make the occasional error and are very keen to ensure that we address any problems properly and make amends straight away, we welcome all feedback and make every effort to use it positively.
To that end I messaged you last Saturday morning asking for further details as we cannot tell from your profile when you ate nor do we have any record of the issues you describe. I am disappointed that you have chosen not to respond as it removes the opportunity we have to respond adequately to your complaint or make things right for you.
My email address is a.deighan@pumahotels.co.uk and my phone number is 01292 314444. I hope that I will hear from you soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

wonderful food a la carte experience and didn't even have anything from the a la carte menu, defo had the wow factor

AndrewJDeighan, General Manager at Two Fat Ladies at the Marine, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Thank you very much for such a great review, it is great to read that you enjoyed the restaurant. Thanks for choosing to visit us and I hope that we will see you again soon.