“Underwhelming”

Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was our first visit since 2FL took over the management of the restaurant.
Average food at extortionate prices - 2 bits of salmon in a starter was £8.95 , a sharing platter of desserts was priced at £25 !! Who are they kidding !
Staff friendly enough and reasonably good service , although when the soup arrived , they had to search for soup spoons !. Coffee served in teacups / had to continually ask for water for the table until they decided it would be easier to leave water jugs on the table for our use.
A rethink is required on their pricing policy and I would not recommend anyone going there until they review their prices and service.

2  Thank DunTravelling
JulietP806, General Manager at Two Fat Ladies at the Marine, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us. I am very sorry for the issue with the soup spoons, there is little excuse for that and it has been addressed with the team.
Price and value are always very subjective and we work very hard to get the balance right and I am sorry if you did not feel this during your visit. The dessert you mention is a true sharing platter for four and the price of under £25 reflects that it is for four (it is a great choice with all of the items made on site by our excellent pastry chef).
I apologise if you did not like the china cups, it is a feature of all Two Fat Ladies restaurants as are the china side plates and bread baked in our own kitchen.
I thank you again for your feedback, as a returning guest I do hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Table of four on a Sunday evening, restaurant about half full. Service average, food average but prices pretentious. Happy to pay for good food, but this was not it, and two members had a very bad experience after the meal. We won't be back, nor would we recommend.

2  Thank Edbit

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your meal with us was not better. All of the comments we receive are valuable and help us to continue to improve, so I thank you for your feedback. I hope we will have the chance to see you again in the future.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Having been to the other 3 'Two fat Ladies' restaurants in Glasgow I was looking forward to their new venture in Troon. We (party of 6) had booked many weeks ago but when we arrived we were put in what appeared to be an overspill area at the back of the restaurant where there were no other diners. The ambience was terrible, service was friendly but suggested we were occasionaly forgotten. The restaurant itself is very large and seems roughly the same size as their other 3 restaurants put together.
The cullen skink starter was excellent. Main courses arrived in two batches of three separated by a few minutes. My halibut was overcooked (as were the others) and the langoustine bisque was far too sweet. Dessert was good, coffees (including an espresso) were served in china teacups! The wine list was good and offered a reasonable variety and range of prices.
After our meal we went to the bar for a drink. The prices are way too high and one bacardi and coke was served with no bacardi! A complaint produced the drink and a weak apology.
Would I go back? I wouldn't rush. We had been to the restaurant before it was taken over by 2FL and that had been poor. We were hoping for better things but didn't really get it. 2FL's are going to have to up their game if they are to survive in their new venture. Could I suggest that if the main restaurant is fully booked, they should not put one table of diners in a room by themselves.

3  Thank topdoc55

Thank you very much for your review. I am disappointed that you did not have a better experience but appreciate your feedback. I am very sorry if there were any errors in the preparation of your food and I apologise that you did not like your table, rather than an overspill it is simply another section of the restaurant and is fully utilised most nights. The night you ate was relatively quiet and in hindsight we perhaps should have given you the option of waiting until another table became free.
I am sorry that you did not like the china cups, far from being an error these are a feature of Two Fat Ladies restaurants.
I genuinely appreciate your feedback, we have very high standards that can only be maintained by listening to our guests so I thank you for taking to time to share your comments.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed at the hotel, see separate review, and ate dinner in the Two Fat Ladies restaurant, which had recently opened as part of the Two Fat Ladies group, branching out from its established Glasgow base. Their speciality is fish and seafood, although there are other choices available on the menu.

However, they seemed to be having problems in the kitchen with the changeover from the previous management/operation to the new menu, and service was slow. However, the meal, when it came, was good quality and flavour. We had some decent wines at reasonable prices.

Breakfast was also served in the Two Fat Ladies, and as well as the usual full cooked breakfast, there was a reasonable buffet of cold meats/cheeses, cereals, juices and fruits.

All the staff were friendly and helpful, and attended to problems when brought to their attention, but were not proactive in seeing obvious service errors, such as wrong course/meal going to wrong table, or keeping bread and water topped up.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Enjoyable meal had a lovely table with views looking over the Championship golf course, nice and friendly staff