“Good food, great location, poor service”

Restaurant at Highgrove House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 48 Restaurants in Troon
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 7, 2013

This restaurant commands a great view of the seafront around Troon. The restaurant itself is very well fitted out with those great sea views. Most importantly the food too is very good with a great selection of dishes that would suit most people. However the service on Saturday lunchtime was poor. This was a special family lunch so was quite disappointing. The impression was that the "b" team were on service who had little formal training. The service was so slow with all staff disappearing I thought there a function on somewhere else that was diverting people. The final poor thing was trying to get coats. Eventually I found someone to ask and got directed into the cloakroom to get coats myself. All of this being said, I would return for the food, view and ambience but would less patient with poor service.

1  Thank Sted1955
There are newer reviews for Restaurant at Highgrove House Hotel

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We went to the Highgrove House Hotel for our annual Xmas get together; and what a disappointment. Annual event for the last 18 years,
There was 14 of us (7 couples) and we waited over 1 hour for our starter to arrive. The staff were obviously under pressure but no one took overall control. We had 5 different staff come to our table; but there was no coordination.
I would not recommend this restaurant for a Xmas night out, It was so slow that we had to push our return journey (mini-bus) back twice.
It took 3 hours to serve 3 courses (and only 2 drinks during this period - shocking !)
We had a 3 course dinner but it took more than 3 hours to serve us the food and the final result was no more than 6/10. We didn't even have time for coffee or tea
They were so slow in bringing drinks (alcoholic and water).
I would never recommend this restaurant to someone, irrespective of reputation

1  Thank DQ112
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Living about a mile from Highgrove can mean temptation on your doorstep but I've only eaten there four times this year....so far....and having hardly been there in 2012 !

Dined with golfing friends on a Friday evening in April.....attended a wedding at the end of August.....eaten there twice in the last month with family.

The location on the hill with views out over the Firth of Clyde is truly wonderful and the setting was PERFECT for the wedding. The food served to us at the wedding was as good as I've ever eaten at a wedding or other large function.

Sometimes menus and chefs change and just now Highgrove clearly has a great blend - superb range of choices with excellent presentation and taste.

The golf buddies were truly impressed with the food + wine and I expect our family will also now head up the hill to Highgrove much more often than before !

Minor criticism (which others have noted) is that when the restuarant is busy, such as on a Saturday evening, the service can be a bit on the slow side.

Overall I'd highly recommend Highgrove for a WONDERFUL dining experience - with the view as an added and free bonus !

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Was here on 2 occasions during the course of my trip. Both were very good experiences. Food was lovely and great selectins. Very good portion sizes too

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Just a short ride into the country outside Troon, this was an excellent restaurant experience: Great view, very nice indoor and outdoor facility, and excellent food and wine at reasonable (for Scotland) prices.