“Consistently good”

Restaurant at Highgrove House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 48 Restaurants in Troon
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I regularly eat here and bring friends and family here for meals (probably 4 times in a year, winter, summer, lunches, peak times, quiet times) so I have seen enough to form an opinion of consistently good food and service. Nice location, super views, pleasant grounds (when it's not raining!). Pleasant, helpful staff.

Only gripe on this occasion was having to phone 3 times before someone picked up the phone to take a reservation.
The evening menu is one of those menus where everything is appealing and it is difficult to choose. On this occasion, although we were early enough to have the early special fixed price menu (before 1845), the dishes were a little 'plain' so as we were celebrating, we chose from the main menu.
All the food was hot, tasty and well worth the money. Vegetables were provided with the main course and everything was eaten.
Wine list is fairly comprehensive and reasonably priced ('house' white about £17 per bottle as I recall). On this occasion, my glass of wine came in a glass with lipstick on. This was replaced swiftly. Also there was a confusion between a glass of Pino Noir and Pinot Grigio, which when pointed out to the waiter was quickly sorted out.

I will continue to eat here. It is part of the local (to this part of Scotland) chain of Costley & Costley. If you fancy a meal that is of excellent quality but without the formality (shirt and tie) of Lochgreen House, then Highgrove House is for you.

There are newer reviews for Restaurant at Highgrove House Hotel

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Just had a first class lunch at Highgrove House. Having booked in advance, we were given a window table but, alas, the views were mainly of low clouds and rain. Setting is ideal with a feeling of being in the country although just up the hill from Troon. Good value set menu available but we chose the extensive a la carte. Starters of tomato and coriander soup and (my favourite) Cullen Skink - both with delicious bread - were just the thing on a miserable day. My wife was delighted with her pork escalopes, My chicken stuffed with banana on a lightly-curried mango sauce was superb. Don't you just love it when the waitress warns about the hot plates - and they genuinely are. I consumed some of the side bowl of chips but the tempting bowl of veg we had to leave untouched as we were both full. We were intending to buy the six hand-made chocolates (£3.95) to accompany our coffee but the waitress helpfully cautioned that only one type was availble on the day. A first visit to Highgrove but we shall be back, perhaps to sample the evening menu (and the chocolates). Two courses each from the a la carte, two (large) glasses of a very drinkable dry white wine and two coffees were good value at £47. All staff, from reception to waiting staff, were without exception friendly and helpful. Highly recommended but you made need some snooze time afterwards !

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I am afraid this might be a lengthy review.
I live in the US. When I come home to visit my family it is our tradition to go to a nice restaurant the night before we leave. I am celiac and I require gluten free food and the preparation of the food to be gluten free or I will get sick. My mother called to check if they provided gluten free ahead of time. When we arrived at the restaurant I was given the good news that they could provide any item on the menu gluten free. Well.......................that is what they claimed.
Starters: When I was giving my starter order I asked if the Cullen Skink was gluten free - no. It should be. Cullen Skink should only contain fish, butter, potatoes, milk/cream and spices - no flour! Then I asked which starters were gluten free. It turns out they could do the starters without the items that had gluten like the toast - no gluten free bread. So, they would charge me for a starter but not include everything in it or substitute anything. My husband and I had eaten in several restaurants/B&B's in England, Wales, and Scotland during our two weeks and EVERY restaurant had gluten free bread. I talked to the manager. He said, "We don't get asked for gluten free bread very often so we don't keep it. But we might be opening our own bakery and we are thinking of baking gluten free bread." Really???????? You can't bake gluten free bread with regular bread - cross contamination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Main Course: I ordered the main dish and I assumed it was gluten free. Everyone at the table said their food was dry as if it had been reheated or it had been standing for some time under the warming lamps. The rice with the cajun chicken was bright yellow - made from a packet which I suspect was the same for the Cullen Skink (pre-prepared) which is why it contained gluten.
Desserts: surprisingly really nice. I had the pavolva with fresh fruit and the plate was beautifully decorated. Coffee was cold - had to send it back.
Service: The manager was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. He should be managing not doing everyone's job.
We left extremely disappointed and quite frankly resentful we had to pay for the meal. I was sick the next day. I suspect the fish was dipped in flour before cooking it.
I will say there is another restaurant in the area with an extensive gluten free menu. We ate there twice and had a wonderful meal with excellent service.
If you need gluten free do NOT go near this place.

5  Thank WRES
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is an excellent restaurant with superb views across the Firth of Clyde. The sunsets can be stunning. The service is friendly and efficient with high quality food.
The only feature which I would remove is the TV (sky news?) in the bar area which has the ability to distract the conversation.
Apart from this minor irritant, you will enjoy your visit.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We ate here for my Mum's 70th birthday on 07/06 as its a family favourite. Food was excellent but the service left a bit to be desired. I'd delivered balloons and a cake earlier in the day and asked for the balloons to be on the table when we got there- they weren't so we had to have a swift detour to the patio until they found them. Patio was lovely tho, and the views to Arran are stunning. Goats cheese starter, and poached pear salad were great and all the mains- Swiss chicken, trout, haddock gratin, liver, seafood grill were very well received. However the fact the waitress came with puddings and didn't know what the dish was didn't inspire confidence and we had a huge wait for coffee- about 20 mins- was a bit much. Have been there loads of times before and the service this time was very disappointing. Would still recommend it as the food was great but the staff do need a bit of training.