“hidden gem”
Review of Old Loans Inn

Old Loans Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Troon
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Lovely midweek lunch in pleasant restaurant, good menu, cater for gluten free, service friendly and attentive, nice atmosphere, fairly busy but service quick, not rushed. Prices as expected for such good quality, use local ayrshire suppliers for meat. Will be back! Can collect loyalty points and do gift cards.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Old Loans Inn

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Please don't be put off this hotel by the professional moaners of the world!! This is a lovely hotel with above average size rooms (definitely NOT SMALL), lovely and clean, good bathroom with beautiful toiletries that you are able to purchase. The staff are very friendly and efficient. We had our evening meal there and couldn't fault it, breakfast was also above average, plenty of choice, staff very attentive. Looking forward to going back for lunch in the summer and hopefully sitting out in decking area. Please give it a try and make your own mind up.

Room Tip: Ask for room at back - very quiet
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank littlemadamj
gill_campbell, Manager at Old Loans Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, as a privately owned company we strive to provide the best in standards and service. We look forward to welcoming you in the summer to enjoy our outdoor space.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed here with family in January. A warm welcome, a spotless room. I loved the view of Troon from the window. The apples and water were a nice welcome. The breakfasts in the hotel were really weldone whether you wanted the cold buffet or a hot breakfast. The free wifi was appreciated.Loans is within walking distance to Troon. A great location for people with a car.
I really appreciated the Scottish toiletries and sadly forgot to purchase the hand lotion before leaving.

The pub has been fully updated since my last visit. I really missed the ambiance of the Old Inn but , the warm fire, great drinks and lovely staff made up for it. I wll want to see the back deck in summer on my next visit.
Thank you!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back in order to get a better view. 2nd floor if possible. It is a small h...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank MickeyedOut
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Myself and husband were here with another 2 couples...speedy checkin..room small but ok...strange thing was chest of drawers with the tea/coffee facilities was in the wardrobe ( no room elsewhere in room i guess.)..about an hour after checkin another couple let themselves into our room as the receptionist had given them the same room key..we hadn't double locked the door..didnt expect anyone to get another key..one of the other couples were expecting to pay £30 for an upgrade as it was their anniversary..upon arrival were asked to pay only £20 which they thought strange..when we all checked out our rooms the last two were very similar considering upgrade..so they went down to complain about this and were told they should have had one with couch etc so were given refund of £20.. Very disappointing for anniversary..went down to the bar where the drinks were overpriced..especially draft cola £3.15..very slow service at the dinner table..could have been lack of staff..before we even got our starter a waitress dropped a full bottle of coke over my friend..obviously an accident and apologised several times..so she went up to change into her old jeans..which hindered us from going into troon that night as she didnt have another change..the meal itself was very average...5 of us received our desserts and another was left waiting for ICECREAM..when we asked about it we were told it was being prepared!!...went straight to room after that and comsumed our own beverages..when one of the other couples went to bed they noticed blood on the bedsheets..
Everyone also said their rooms were boiling at night..in january with the heating off and window open..
Breakfast was quite nice, again a wait for food..freshly made but still think they were short staffed..and the idea of a 4slice toasted for a 20 roomed establishment was a bit of a joke.. So 40 people could require toast at the same time...long wait for that..we asked the waitress if some could be toasted in kitchen for us as there was a big queue..that wasnt a problem and was appreciated..
We emailed when we got back the couple with spilt drink and blood on sheets were sent out a £30 voucher..we were offered a voucher for a bottle of wine..didnt even reply to that email as i dont intend to be back in one of their properties..so thanks but no thanks..and the couple those anniversary it was got an email apologising..
My advise would be to drive on

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pkn1995

Thank you for your feedback, we have addressed your points with our team and contacted each couple individually.

We have also received email feedback from the person who had the incident with the cola, we had apologised for the accident and sent her a gift voucher which she has used in one of our other venues. She expressed how delighted she was with her food and the service received and specifically named one of our team for recognition.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I booked the Loans for a 2 night stay with my family, unfortunately my son and his family could not make it. I asked the staff to try to let the room and let me know if they were successful, on the basis that I would have a choice of room for my wife and I if they could not. I heard nothing, went to bed and on arising was making my way to breakfast when I noticed that the room I had asked to relet was being made up by the hotel staff. On enquiring at reception if the room had been relet I was told - no, they had GIVEN! it to one of their staff.
When I reminded them that they had not come back to me they had no answer.

THE LESSON here is - When you book and pay for your accommodation, in my case weeks in advance, and you have a no show in your party. HOLD ONTO BOTH KEYS until they CAN relet the room and then refund part or all of your payment.

With regard to the other aspects of the stay, the food and service was good in relation to their
'rating'. Although I suspect that their strict booking policy and payment demand and conditions well ahead of your booking date is down to an over leveraged group with uncertain revenue flows.
Basically ' Get the money in first then you can do what you want'.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank KennyE930
Reviewed February 2, 2014

In scotland for a family celebration. Wild and windy evening, but the Old Loans Inn was warm and welcoming. Our room on the top floor over-looking the main street was wonderfully comfortable and spacious with little extra thinks like usb charging point, ability to feed output from pc to tv.

Room was very comfortable and clean, bed was great (perhaps this vs other reviews shows how difficult it is for hotels to pick good beds - i think these folks got it right, but others will disagree no doubt), and thanks to the double glasing the room was warm and quiet - could hardly hear the wild weather at all also very little sound from other rooms.

Bathroom was great, I loved the rain head shower, and the spa bath looked fine even if it didnt get used. Good quality towels and handwash/shower-gel/etc.

Was not able to use the lovely terrace on the upper floor cause of the weather, but it looked fine and I am sure will be much appreciated in the summer.

The inn has been done up to a very good standard and meant we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Myself & my wife were given a voucher for an overnight stay evening meal & breakfast.

On arrival we were greeted at tne reception desk, checking in was very straight forward.

Entering the room, it was spotlessly clean and well laid out. A bottle of water and 2 apples were laid out for us, a nice touch. The only thing in the room that bemused me, was when my wife went to hang here coat in the wardrobe. Inside the wardrobe was a chest of drawers with the tea & coffe facilities on it.
Then i came across the reason for this, the ceiling at the window had water marks on the paint & an upright heater standing near by.

On retiring after the evening meal. I was woken early in the morning with back pain. This was due to the bed being a tad uncomfortable. My wife was of the same opinion. The bed was the only fault we had with the room.

Evening meal: We couldn't fault the Service, the staff were very poliet. The food was of an average standard, i suppose what you would expect from an overnight deal.
The breakfast was much the same as the evening meal.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BigC66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troon
The Marine Hotel
South Beach Hotel
#4 of 6 in Troon
Lochgreen House Hotel
Western House Hotel

Been to Old Loans Inn? Share your experiences!