“Amazing chocolates”

The North Base Cafe & Visitor Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: The North Base Visitor centre is based on the former RAF Saxa Vord site, and here you will find a cafe, an RAF exhibition concerning the former RAF station at Saxa Vord, Foords Chocolates, a craft room, Unst Information Room, Walkers Are Welcome and Unst Cycle Hire.Our cafe menu includes hot and cold food, hot snacks, hot and cold drinks, cakes, sweets and much more. Please note that due to being a small business and not a factory, Foords Chocolates production is not constant and so are unable to give demonstrations of chocolate making. Dogs on leads are welcome
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to Foords Chocolate experience. It is great to see how and where the Foords chocolates are being made and they are simply delightful. We have enjoyed the Dark chocolate selection at the cafe and then ordered two more boxes by post when we got home! The transaction went very smoothly and we received our chocolates in no time. I would definitely recommend trying the Crofters selection, they are one of the best chocolates I have ever eaten!

1  Thank Eva N

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I love this little place. A real gem at the top of Unst! Aaron and Cassie are really friendly and still remember me from my 1st quick visit and tour of the chocolate factory back in 2011 (maybe I'm just unforgettable (?)).
The hot chocolate deluxe experience is HUGE and totally drop dead gorgeous.....and not something to be having any time near dinner time as it's VERY filling!! I *think* about saving the chocolates for later but it's totally not going to happen ;) The milkshakes are very nice too for a lighter chocolate experience. The old dentist chair is still upstairs if you eat too much chocolate too ;)
The handmade chocolates (that take 3 days to make if I remember correctly) are absolutely gorgeous!! Unfortunately by the time I was coming towards the end of my long stay in Shetland I forgot to buy some as everything became hectic....total failure on my part but the good thing is that these guys deliver :)
The items in the little craft shop are cool esp the little owls. I may have to buy one next time if I have space in my case.
The RAF Saxa Vord display is really interesting and I always take time to read/view it as it has changed between visits. I always read the true story about the couple who lost their lives at Hermaness on New Years Eve/Day in the great storm as I still can't believe they went out in that and it shows the power of nature and how you can never take it or granted!
Don't forget to hire your bikes from Chas at *Unst Cycle Hire* who runs his business too. Also ask about *Walkers Are Welcome* walks too!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We enjoyed the most fabulous luxury hot chocolate drinks here, with chocolates as well! The place is quite small which makes a good short activity before or after visiting Hermaness or the surrounding beautiful slopes. You can also have lunch here though we didn't. There is also a nice collection of artefacts on the navy.

Aaron F, Owner at The North Base Cafe & Visitor Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

We are glad you enjoyed your visit and chocolates, and also what is now becoming somewhat legendary - the Deluxe Hot Chocolate! However, whilst I am sure it is just a typing error I feel I should point out that our exhibition is on the RAF, since we are at Saxa Vord which is a former RAF station and not the Navy, but we are glad you enjoyed it all the same!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

We came on Foords by chance, as an adult family exploring Unst and stopped for lunch. We enjoyed it. The food was perfectly reasonable - it isn't a fancy up market restaurant and doesn't claim to be. It is a good place to stop set in the middle of an amazing environment. We felt that we got all the attention that we wanted or needed, though we sometimes had to look for it. This was absolutely fine. The chocolate theme was great, and so were the chocolates.

We'd come back wthout hesitation if we were in Unst again.

Thank you for your kind words, and for appreciating that what we do is worthwhile. We have so much here to read and look at it is difficult to know at times when to approach people without disturbing them or appearing too 'pushy' but I am glad to hear that you were happy with our food and service. Hope to see you again.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had a great time on Unst and the welcome from Aaron and Caroline at Foords made our trip all the nicer. The cheese toasties, tea and hot chocolate were enjoyed by us both. We would recommend purchasing the Crofters chocolates, they were the nicest chocolates we have had for many years and we will be purchasing more through mail order! It was wonderful to find a cafe that not only welcomes dogs but also spoils them with a bonio, water and a big helping of cuddles! Caleb, Dingle, Ben, Dougie, Skye and Ted all enjoyed their visit and next time we will take our other six dogs in for a treat and photo shoot! Kind regards to you both and we look forward to our next visit. Paul and Caroline Fowler.

Thanks for vsiting us and bringing the dogs with you, and we look forward to seeing you again soon. Don't forget all our chocolates are available mail order from our website at www.foordschocolates.co.uk