“Only 4 hours here so far and it's brilliant.....furher update to follow!”
Review of The Torridon

The Torridon
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Torridon
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Only 4 hours here so far and it's brilliant.....furher update to follow!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I have only been here 4 hours but will definitely be back. I booked the hotel for one night and the Inn for the second night as we (15 year old daughter and Dad) travelled around Wester Ross. I have to say from the time I first booked, the follow up from staff and information given to me about the hotel, and what was on offer, has been excellent. We were due to arrive at 2pm but as we wanted to do some kayaking, we were offered a slot at 9am which we booked.
On arrival the staff were excellent, they knew who we were and offered us tea/coffee while we waited on the outdoor instructors to arrive.
The instructors Tom and his assistant Cameron, again, were very friendly, knowledgeable and very professional. They made kayaking on the loch on a wet and windy day really enjoyable and fun and we both will be returning, hopefully on a sunnier day. Thanks for the tow back on the last stretch of the Loch guys! I can't recommend these guys highly enough, not only for their professionalism but also how they can make outdoor pursuits on a wet and windy day very enjoyable.
Back at the hotel writing this and the service is excellent again and efforts being made to turn our room around early for us to get in and changed for the rest of the day. As I said, only here 4 hours but with the service, the amenities and the location, I'm looking forward to the next 2 days and I will be coming back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DanRB, Owner at The Torridon, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Well, that’s a record for a review! Thank you for your praise of Tom and Cameron, we will pass that on to them. We look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back again, hopefully with better weather. Regards, Dan and Rohaise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I've heard so much about this place from friends an colleagues so had to try it out when I came up to the Highlands.

The service was excellent and the staff were super-friendly.

Having slept in a different hotel room each of the last five nights it was wonderful to finally find a bed where I could fall in to a deep sleep and want to stay there forever.

We stayed for dinner and the food was very good.

Would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2013
DanRB, Owner at The Torridon, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you to your friends and colleagues for recommending us. Whenever you want another deep sleep we’d love to welcome you back! Many thanks, Dan and Rohaise
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Visited Torridon Hotel for one night for our wedding anniversary, while already holidaying on the area with a family group. Stayed in the Torridon Suite and loved it, everything perfect, exactly as I had booked so my wife loved it too! Pretty pricey but you have to push the boat out every now and then for a special occasion!

Great views across the Loch, a fantastically comfortable bed, friendly staff and good food in the restaurant. My only complaint with the food would be too much focus on froth and presentation, whereas Scotland is known for healthy portions!

The waiters and waitresses give you an explanation of what is on your plate when delivered, so it was quite funny to hear the adjacent table to ours ask "So, which is the egg plant then" which stumped the waitress in question. Oops!

Brilliant short stay in a beautiful location.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DanRB, Owner at The Torridon, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
We are so pleased you managed to take time out from your family holiday to spend your anniversary with us and enjoy our great views, comfortable beds and friendly team.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights.. Incredible location, amazing views.. Great room.. Had some issues initially that were quickly and professionally corrected, which was a true display of the quality of the management at this wonderful establishment. The staff are warm, friendly and attentive, again reflecting the management style.
Superb whisky bar, worth a look.
Very good meal...
This place is definitely worth a visit, it is very remote and a true escape with a lovely feel.
Well done to all the Torridon team.

Room Tip: Room 14 has a really nice feel, more classic and in keeping with the public areas..
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CornwallsFinest
DanRB, Owner at The Torridon, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. We have passed your comments on to the staff. It’s always good to have a positive outcome and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Regards, Dan and Rohaise
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I stayed at The Torridon for one night in late July and I've already decided to return, based mainly on the location. The Torridons are one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and the hotel sits right in the middle.

Room: We stayed in room 15, which is a superior room. The furnishings were very comfortable and clean. The structure of the building is such that corner rooms, such as room 15, have three windows, two in the room, one in the bathroom. The longer wall of the room had one small window on one half, while the other half was windowless and slanted inwards. This probably doesn't make sense, but my point is, there's a big chunk of the wall with no window and hence, no view, so I might ask to see if there are other rooms at the same price with more windows. The bathroom was big and very nice.

Service: Though rather formal, everyone was very friendly and helpful. The activities guy gave us an overview of the schedule while we were there, we chatted with the servers about hometowns and travel plans, and the front desk gave me recommendations on walks. I asked for another fan for our room before dinner and it was sitting in the room when we returned.

Food: Excellent and inventive. The haggis, neeps, and tatties were fantastic. Definitely worth a reservation.

Small complaints: The UK was in the midst of a heat wave so I'm guessing this is not normally a problem, but there's no air conditioning in the hotel, so the dining room and our room got very warm. The only relief is to open the windows, but it's pretty buggy (midges and horseflies) and there are no screens (maybe this is just an American thing?), so you don't really want to open them for long.

I brought bug spray, but it would be nice to make it available to guests for free (I've seen this done at a couple of hotels elsewhere).

Lastly, it was pretty quiet in the dining room. There was background music playing, but sometimes it was a bit uncomfortable. Not a big deal, but just something to know.

I would love to make a return trip, though I'll check out the Inn next time, because as wonderful as the hotel is, it's rather pricey.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
DanRB, Owner at The Torridon, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Torridon is a great location isn’t it. We are so please you loved it as much a s we do and that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward be being able to welcome you back to either the hotel or inn. Thank you, Dan and Rohaise
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed at the Torridon for a few nights with my wife in May, as a base for exploring the area. We were made instantly welcome on arrival and throughout our stay. Dinner in the restaurant was outstanding and the staff attentive throughout the hotel. The whisky bar was great for pre-dinner drinks and also a few too many nightcaps. we ate at the Inn the other two nights as we fancied slightly less fine dining food and that was very good also.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank adamj_bl
DanRB, Owner at The Torridon, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us. Another warm welcome awaits should you return and I’m sure there must still be a whisky or two still to be tried! Regards, Dan and Rohaise
Turku, Finland
Reviewed July 29, 2013

For our honeymoon I looked for a hotel from google with description: In the middle of nowhere and Scotland. This was the hotel that I found and I immediately thought we have to go here. The Torridon was perfect luxury for a honeymoon. It is a beautiful place and the journey to get there is also amazing. The room was really comfortable and we had the best sleep we have ever had. The whisky bar was also really good and I found the first whisky I ever liked. The Breakfast is delicious. It doesn't get better than this!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
DanRB, Owner at The Torridon, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
We are pleased you enjoyed our comfortable beds so much. Perhaps we can welcome you back for your first anniversary? Thank you for your review. Regards, Dan and Rohaise
Also consider these accommodations in or near Torridon
Shieldaig Lodge
#1 of 1 in Achnasheen
Balmacara Hotel
Balmacara Hotel
#1 of 1 in Balmacara

Been to The Torridon? Share your experiences!