“Disappointing and beware of coach parties!”
Review of Ben Wyvis Hotel

Ben Wyvis Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Strathpeffer
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Disappointing and beware of coach parties!”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

After traipsing around everywhere in Strathpeffer for some dinner before 6pm we found this hotel. First impressions were good. On enquiring about food, the receptionist let us stand like spare parts in the reception area before finally telling us that they could fit us in now (or we'd have to wait until 8.30pm - we would soon understand why!)

We ordered drinks and I asked for a pint of water and a diet coke. I was told there was water on the table but this was about the equivalent of what I alone would drink in a meal sitting, never mind shared between four people! Needless to say, my water never appeared.

Two people ordered from the set menu and two ordered a main with the intention of ordering the dessert after. When the main arrived, the risotto and turkey seemed ok but the salmon was tiny and not worth the price. One of the turkey escalopes had some nasty chewy bits.

On finishing our main courses we asked if we could order our desserts. By this time not one but two coach parties had arrived. We were never asked if we would like more drinks or if our meals were ok, my water still never came and we continued to try and catch a waiter or waitresses eye while the two set menu ice creams melted before our eyes. Seeing we were becoming increasingly frustrated the waitress we originally asked took matters into her own hands and placed the order (I got the impression the she would normally only serve food, not take orders). After all that, the dessert was also a very small portion and frankly hardly with the effort :(

So all in all...if your a coach party, I'm sure you'll be just fine in terms of service but they really seem to struggle with stand alone customers!

• Stayed September 2013
DavidCollings, General Manager at Ben Wyvis Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Nervette,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for our team. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your visit to the Ben Wyvis on this occasion. We are a very busy hotel, especially in the summer and to avoid disappointment we do advise our guests to pre book dinner reservations.

I am also disappointed to hear that you found your food, particularly the salmon and turkey escallops to be not as you expected. Had you mentioned this to a member of our team at the time we would have been delighted to take corrective action.
I have taken on board your comments regarding the amount of water served on the tables and the issue you experienced regarding your drink. Out team are working to ensure this does not happen again.

Again, I am sorry to hear that your experience was disappointing.

Kind Regards,

Margaret Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
England
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I picked this hotel because former-politician-turned-TV-presenter Michael Portillo apparently stayed here when visiting Strathpeffer for his series about railways, and I thought if it's good enough for him then it's probably good enough for me. Now I'm not so sure.

First impressions were fine: a large Victorian hotel set in well-kept grounds. The receptionist on duty when I checked in - a young Polish lady - was extremely pleasant and helpful; nothing was too much trouble. However my room was a little tired, with a TV screen that was too small for the room.

Unfortunately there were two coach parties staying at the same time as me, and they did tend to take over. And, as another reviewer has pointed out, eating in the evening was a problem. There appeared to be no bar menu or indeed anything other than the very expensive restaurant menu. Moreover, the coach parties seemed to have virtually taken over the restaurant and the staff there seemed confused by my solo status: they clearly didn't know how to deal with somebody who wasn't part of a group.

Breakfast was also a problem. I'd been told breakfast service started at 7:30am, but I arrived at that time to find the room was packed and it was difficult to (a) get a table and (b) to get food from the buffet. The term "bunfight" springs to mind: tables remained uncleared and the staff clearly couldn't cope.

I'm still trying to solve the mystery of the car park, which was full when I arrived just after midday, when i would have expected it to be empty. As far as I can tell, none of these cars moved the whole time I was there. If I was the hotel management I'd be finding out who these cars belonged to - surely they weren't all hotel guests?

I have to say I wouldn't rush to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
DavidCollings, General Manager at Ben Wyvis Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Phil of England,
It is great to read your feedback from your recent stay at the Ben Wyvis, thank you for leaving your comments.

I am delight to hear that you found our receptionist, Anna to be extremely pleasant and helpful. Anna is a highly valued member of our team and she was delighted to read your comments and know she had helped you.

I am sorry to hear that your restaurant experience was not as you expected it to be; as always I have passed your comments on the team who are working tirelessly to improve the service they offer our guest, whether it be a coach group or individual guests such as yourself.

Regarding the car park, we do have guests staying on site who leave their cars in the car park through out the day but there is plenty of parking for all of our guests.

I hope to welcome you back to the Ben Wyvis hotel in the future to restore you faith in the service we offer.

Best Wishes,

Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed with family here. Fabulous food. Loved the eggs benedict and French toast. At dinner they were out of a few things, but Strathpeffer is a little remote. Beautiful, spacious rooms AND big bathtubs! Very nice bar, but closes at 9 pm. Nice hiking trails behind and across from hotel. Convenience store just outside the property. Short drive to some beautiful attractions.
Very helpful staff. Must have a car if staying in Strathpeffer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ellen L,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback for our team. I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and particularly the food at the Ben Wyvis hotel. I have passed your comments on to our head chef, Joe, who was delight to hear your comments regarding breakfast but apologises for being out of a few things at dinner.

I am also pleased to hear that you found our staff to be very helpful. Our team works tirelessly to offer our guest the best possible service, comments and feedback only encourage and motivate them to further improve.

I hope to welcome you back to the Ben Wyvis very soon.

Best Regards,

Gloucester, Virginia
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a HUGE old Victorian home/ hotel that must cost a fortune to keep up The room that we had was of normal size with12 foot ceilings, a decent bathroom, and a decent bed. Not the best bed mind you but decent. Staff was courteous and helpful. Parking is a bit of a problem. Also eating is something of a problem. The dinners were 20 pounds each so we opted to find something out. Good Luck with that. We were there on a Sunday and Monday and the only restaurant that appealed to us thru TA is closed both days. In High season?? What's with that?? Strathpeffer is very small so there ain't much happening. We ate at McKay's. Forget it. Had breakfast at the Ben under the B&B plan. It was good but nothing to shout about.
The grounds were pretty and it was fun walking to the Eagle Stone. Don't miss that. Otherwise, I'll keep on driving.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Speckul8r,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for our team at the Ben Wyvis hotel. I am happy to hear that you found our staff to be courteous and helpful, as always I have passed these comments on to the team. The Ben Wyvis is defiantly a spectacular building with some fantastic characteristics such as the high ceilings, grand restaurant and great gardens.
I am sorry to hear that you found parking to be a problem and that you struggled to find somewhere to eat. Had you mentioned either of these issue to our team we would have been delighted to help by offering you some specific requests where possible in our restaurant or recommend some good local places to eat.

Thanks again for your comments.

Best Wishes,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 30, 2013

By saying this is the worst place i have ever stayed would be an understatement . The floor in our room had a drop of more than 10cm with the bed head at the lower end .No towels or pillow cases when we checked in (late afternoon) It made Fawlty Towers look like the Westin . They were understaffed in the Dining room (food was reasonable ) and the receptionist that checked us in was rude and when we requested to be moved wasn't the least bit interested . The grounds were untidy and overgrown .The best part about it was the bar staff , very friendly and acccommodating. A warning to people who even think about staying there .... DON'T

Room Tip: don't go by the web site or brochures .. gives you a false sense of grandure
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
DavidCollings, General Manager at Ben Wyvis Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear John L,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback for our team. I am sorry to hear that you have not enjoyed your stay at the Ben Wyvis hotel and found it to be not as you expected on this occasion.
In regards to your comments about the floor in your room this is due to the age and style of the building, some features are crooked and uneven and our team do their best to manage these whiles maintaining the charm and character of the old building.

I can only apologise for your room not having towels and pillow cases when you arrived, as the reception team explained on arrival we’d had a delay with our delivery and the housekeeping team were doing everything possible to get these items to all the room as soon as they arrived at the hotel. As always, I have passed your comments on to the team who share my disappointment and echo my apologies.

Thank you again for your comments.

Warm regards,

Margret

Travelers are raving about these Strathpeffer hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Ended up staying at this hotel with our cosmos tour group, hotel like a rabbit warren with different levels and passages every where. Bed room had only a double bed, far to small for two big Australians. Did have an ensuite, not big enough to swing a cat in. Cooked breakfast was ok, however most upset with late opening bar, management didn't seem to care. Expensive in house dinner menue.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johnb255100
Dear John255100,

Many thanks for your comments and taking the time to leave them for them team.
I am disappointed to hear that you found our hotel to be like a rabbit warren. The long corridors are due to the style and size of the Victorian building built in 1886. I feel this part of the charm and character of our hotel.
In regards to your comments about our menu, we have recently introduced a new menu into our restaurant which will run along side our daily set menu and is individually price to allow guests to chose a dish which they will not only love but will also be in their budget.

Regarding your comment about the management that you felt didn’t seem to care, we are now under new management and I can assure you, I do care and I will be working with the team to improve all aspects of our hotel and the service we offer.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Ben Wyvis to see the improvements and restore your faith in our hotel.

Kindest regards,

Bendigo, Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Love this place, it isn't the Hilton but as you would expect in a small country town it has its own character and charm, reminded me of being in an oversize B&B. Great grounds and wonderfull view at the front. Friendly staff, basic clean rooms, good hearty scottish breakfast and nice evening meals. Piano and a little cinema were added extras. This was our second visit and we will come back.

Room Tip: At the front will give you a view of the hills
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter2651
Dear Peter2651,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback for our team. I have passed your kind comments on to the team who are always grateful for the feedback. We are, recently under new management and the whole team is working tirelessly to offer our guest the best service. Fantastic comments and guest feedback such as yours goes a long way to motivate and encourage the team to further improve.

I hope to welcome you back to the Ben Wyvis again soon.

Kind Regards,

Margret
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strathpeffer
Golf View Hotel & Spa
#2 of 3 in Dingwall
Newton Muthu Hotel
Newton Muthu Hotel
#2 of 9 in Nairn

Been to Ben Wyvis Hotel? Share your experiences!